Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times

Advertisements

I wish chain restaurants served something diet other than diet coke. Sometimes I just don't want diet coke and I don't like 'full fat' soda. I'm fine just drinking water but the restaurant is losing out on the $2.50 I would have spent by not offering an alternative.

I don't buy drinks for home except milk, tea and apple juice which is drunk mixed with half water. We could certainly spend a lot on all the juices and flavored waters my stores seem to stock, but I'd rather not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Well being as this is America vote with your wallet.

Quit going to chain restaurants.

Problem solved.

OK who wants a solution for nuclear weapons proliferation.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:05 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnyR View Post
Coke, Sprite, Pepsi, and other high fructose beverages. For the most part this is what stores offer.

We havent evolved to broaden pass these giants?

I go to this local bistro and they make this awesome beverage blend. I told the owner to sell it in local stores. But now that I think about it, I dont know if that would work. Its so hard for businesses to introduce their new beverage product to the masses. But why?

We branch out when it comes to other foods right? People are so picky with their meals, they are foodies now. Lobster bisque, duck a l'orange, pho, etc.

But wheres the variety with drinks? can we start demanding chains to upgrade their selection PLEASE?

We should no longer be drinking these sodas. They dont even taste good. Can I get a white grape juice? I tried that once at a farmers market. Lets demand more.
Do you really expect a chain restaurant to offer a large variety of high-quality drinks? As already suggested, maybe you should stop going to chains. There are healthier alternatives, with a lot more variety.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A friend of mine complains that in fast food restaurants with a drink refill fountain, there are never any drinks that are free of both sugar and caffeine. Diet 7Up would be, but they never have it. Everything else has either sugar or caffeine, or both. This, in spite of the claims by so many of them that they are serving more healthy menus.
Totally true. However, every single one I've been in will give you a cup for water, and there's nearly always a water button on fountains (usually on the lemon-lime beverage, sometimes the lemonade, if they have that). Some will even have a carbonated water switch...I know the McDonald's that I worked at as a teen, myself, did, on the Sprite fountain nozzle.

Chipotle gives water glasses for free, they're clear plastic so that they can see that you're not asking for a water glass and filling it with soda/other beverage. Same with Panera.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
The OP seemed to be talking about grocery chains, and someone else came in with the restaurants.

Anyhow, I seem to remember that most fast food chains offer orange juice at breakfast (and you might talk them into serving it at other times also), and that Taco Bell had come out with an alternative drink, but that might have only been for a brief time.

I can't afford to eat out too often, even though it would mean a better quality of food. A Big Mac has more nutritive value than the foods I cook at home.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I guess I am less adventuresome with drinks than food. Many places where I live have some sort of rice drink, it is a Hispanic thing, and some sort of oatmeal drink, and some yogurt drinks, all of which sound pretty gross to me. I did have a watermelon drink the other day, which was very refreshing, watermelon juice, and lime, with sugar and soda water. And I am learning to make a mean Mojito, with all types of fresh herbs, not just mint.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:16 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What are you interested in drinking that can't be found on a grocery store shelf or out of your tap?

Most fruit juice really offers marginally more nutritional value than soft drinks.

Water for me, thanks, with a wedge of lemon or lime and ice.
Don't know where you are: but I find more choices then I could ever need.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
That's what I'm saying.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I don't know where the OP lives, but around here many Mexican restaurants offer a selection of aquas frescas. The most popular are sandía (fresh watermelon juice), melón (fresh cantaloupe juice), horchata (a rice and cinnamon based sweet drink), pepino (fresh cucumber juice... very refreshing), piña (fresh pineapple juice), fresa (fresh strawberry juice, very $$$), fresh lemonade and a nasty concoction called tamarindo.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
The watermelon and cantelope "aquas frescas" sound pretty good.

Personally I never like colas, always was more of a citrus-based or fruit-based drink fan myself, so these fall in line with that.

I dont go to Trader Joes much but they have some really good sodas..their tangerine or clementien-based (orange) soda is great, as is that improted grapefruit soda they sell (from Italy, I think).

The Italians make some good soft drinks, it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink