Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM

258 posts, read 450,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would do it, with occasional lapses for good behavior.
+1

However, my rewarding of good behavior would be pretty frequent... If I was good for two or three days? Reward meal or snacks!! I can't just deprive myself all the time everytime, or I would probably be affected in other negative ways such as high blood pressure from frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I struggle with this every day. I need to be more pro-active about my diet...food is just food...after all, you just need to make an adjustment to this, and re-arrange how you feel about food.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
It is very difficult for most people to change their eating habits quickly. It takes time and commitment.

I would adapt, but would certainly keep some of the food I enjoy, even if only on occasion. Things like crusty bread, chocolate, pasta, and several kinds of cheese. I would just have them much less often. In fact, I already try to keep a balanced diet. Lots of vegetables, fruit, whole grains (which I like), and also some of my favorite foods, like the ones I mentioned before.

I am hoping that trying to keep a balanced diet will allow me to enjoy the foods I like - and the ones I love! - for a long time.
I keep an open mind and will often try "healthier" substitutes, and while not everything tastes good and some foods are just "meh", I am happy that some of them are perfectly fine.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I would get a second opinion... lol

But seriously - I would ask the doctor for the reason and then adjust my diet to the requirements, remembering that there are always more options than whole grains and basicly lettuce.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I don't trust modern medical advice, in the first place, and the doctors I don't trust are lucky if they had two weeks of instruction in diet and nutrition in eight years of medical school. So they've probably read less research on nutrition than I have.

But the diet you described is not too far from what I'm eating now, so I'd probably make some adjustments, but keep on eating pretty much as I have been.

However, I'm assuming that the recommended diet is based on a pretty exact diagnosis for a specific condition that that diet is applicable to, and I would weigh it on that basis.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:37 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I would find it difficult to be warned off my favourite foods for health reasons . I would probably try to abide by a new diet though how long I would resist certain goodies I do not know...

I would not have any problems giving up sweet stuff, fried foods , fast foods etc... as I rarely eat those anyway and that would be no hardship.

I would have a real issue with giving up Fish, Seafood, and Beef in particular though. Life without Sushi or Fillet steak forever would indeed be a pretty bleak one to me. Humans are very adaptable so I suppose you have to learn and re-think the way you eat but it would be pretty devastating to me. Life without cheeses as well... what a cruel trick for nature to play on me ! Same with a life with no soups, vegetables, good artisan bread, yoghurts, etc...

Unless one has an actual allergy/very specific medical condition diet related I tend to believe that everything in moderation is fine so I think most foods no matter how bad for you are fine as long as you have them only on an occasional basis.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:56 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
I recently (in the early fall) was tested for food allergies because I was having stomach issues for a very long time.

Found out I was severely allergic to beef and pork. I cut those out of my diet and haven't had them since. Even cross contamination sets off a reaction and it makes me miserable. I don't miss them because I just would rather not live through the hell that is the reaction.

I tested moderate to mild for dairy, wheat, corn, shrimp and watermellon and while I will eat some of those in moderation (a serving or less a day) I never push it beyond that otherwise I'm suffering.

I can't eat soy because it aggrivates my thyroid (or that's the understanding anyway, and once I cut it out of my diet, the symptoms I suffered have disappeared).

So yes...I have NO problem cutting out foods for medical reasons. It's easy for me though because I have a severe physical reaction to them that makes me feel miserable.

Oh...I don't really miss any foods per say. When I make one particular pork recipe (chili rubbed tenderloin with ginger apricot glaze) I do get a hankering for it. Every so often I get a craving for a filet or a juicy burger too but that doesn't tempt me to cheat.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
I would adjust out of necessity.

However, I can't imagine a sane physician recommending a diet devoid of all fats, starches and sugars. I changed my diet several years ago to relatively low-carb and low-fat; however, there are GOOD carbs and GOOD fats which are essential to GOOD health, and I do eat those.

Speaking of which.....I'm hungry. I think I'll go and prepare some whole-grain oatmeal (good carbs) for breakfast!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post

However, I can't imagine a sane physician recommending a diet devoid of all fats, starches and sugars.
In fact, when I had hepatitis, my doctor told my wife to put me on a "fat-free" diet. She did, but my condition did not improve. On my next visit my doctor explained that "fat free" does not mean "no fat", and I was being deprived of essential fat-soluble vitamins.

That was in Chile, where the definition of "regimen sin grasa" is "don't sop up all the bacon grease with your bread, after frying your eggs in it".

Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Sounds like a nightmare! Of course I would do it but it would be easier for me to stop eating all together honestly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink