Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 PM

664 posts, read 855,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I avoid non-fermented soy (lovely soy sauce is fermented ) as there are a fair amount of studies showing soy is bad for people with thyroid issues as it blocks proper absorption of thyroid hormone.

yeah i don't eat soy. i have hypothyroidism. i try my best not to eat soy. i try to eat a lot of raw or steamed veggies. that way i know what i'm eating. raw nuts fruit and stuff. i like this. i can see what my food is LOL. plus a lot of the soy is GMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
I am not going to discuss whether soy is negative or positive healthwise, but people eat a tremendous amount of food that is often linked to serious diseases if consumed too often or too much - and soy products they are not.

I eat tofu maybe once a week and use low-sodium soy sauce with extreme moderation, the amount of salt in it is massive. As much as I love a fresh vegetable stir-fry, and love love love sushi, it baffles me when I see someone pouring soy sauce over a plate as if it were water!

I occasionally buy TVP (that soy protein that looks like dried ground beef) and substitute it for ground beef when making stuffed vegetables (with rice and beef) too.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,402,615 times
I love soy milk & soy noodles.

I have not tried tofu YET tho. Thinking about it tho. There are so many kinds, I wouldn't know which one to get.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branfan View Post
yeah i don't eat soy. i have hypothyroidism. i try my best not to eat soy. i try to eat a lot of raw or steamed veggies. that way i know what i'm eating. raw nuts fruit and stuff. i like this. i can see what my food is LOL. plus a lot of the soy is GMO.
It might shock you whats in your raw food.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
I love soy milk & soy noodles.

I have not tried tofu YET tho. Thinking about it tho. There are so many kinds, I wouldn't know which one to get.
I like the very firm kind of tofu. I use it like meat in my stir fry cooking.

Instead of a pound of meat for example I use half pound meat and half pound tofu. I marinate it like meat but for a shorter period of time.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:46 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
Soy milk every day for about 20 years.
Don't really like milk, and daughter has been entirely raised on soymilk.
Otherwise, eat tofu once or so a week, and we love edamame.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
I use soy sauce occasionally. Not the low-salt kind...my blood pressure runs low and a little extra salt is OK with me.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:46 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
Most of the soy products I've tried aren't as appealing or tasty to me personally. I'm not a vegetarian, but in case I want to occasionally swap a meat dish with a veggie one, soy isn't the only option. That's the thing -- soy is thought of as the stereotypical food for vegetarians who need a "meat substitute" but there are other protein sources (eg. chickpeas, lentils etc. say in Middle eastern or Indian food and those are cuisines whose vegetarian dishes don't really use soy)

Old 04-09-2011, 07:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I eat edamame once in a while, tofu a couple of times a year, and soy sauce when I eat sushi, which is probably once a month or so. Soy is in a lot of products, though, including energy bars I eat from time to time. I usually don't use soy as a meat substitute, myself. If I'm going meatless, I just double up on the veggies and legumes.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:03 PM

664 posts, read 855,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
It might shock you whats in your raw food.

LOL i know. that's why i try my best to eat organic veggies and fruits. i'm not 100% organic though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink