Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I forgot this...

Frozzen applesauce.

I've never had store bought applesauce frozen. I don't know why it wouldn't be ok
I have always made my own applsauce in the fall & froze it. WE LOVE ours chunky & frozen.

As a kid my Mom did this. I learned from her.
She would freeze it in square containers & start to thaw it in late afternoon. Then when dinner was ready she had sliced the applesauce & it was wonderful. We would have it with our meal. It great with pork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Heat waves all over the US....let's avoid cooking and share simple, cold and/or no-bake meals, snacks, salads....

For me, one is what I call a "snack plate meal" ... ie olives, squares of feta/cheddar cheese/havarti, celery, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes...all with a bit of olive oil (or not) and a hunk of onion rye bread. (or in other words, what you have available from refrigerator ).

Your ideas?
We call this our picnic dinner. Usually includes pepperoni and salami. We even put a blanket on the floor in the living room sometimes!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:09 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Fresh fruit, cold cereal, raw salads, snack plates, cold sandwiches, cold leftovers...

When it gets too hot to use the oven or even the stovetop our family sort of grazes rather than having set meals. Or we'll do a picnic outdoors or by the pool. Or we head off to the coast and let other people cook for us!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:44 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Will definitely try this.....sounds great! Might try to use unsweeted storebought and see how it goes....thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I can't believe I forgot this...

Frozzen applesauce.

I've never had store bought applesauce frozen. I don't know why it wouldn't be ok
I have always made my own applsauce in the fall & froze it. WE LOVE ours chunky & frozen.

As a kid my Mom did this. I learned from her.
She would freeze it in square containers & start to thaw it in late afternoon. Then when dinner was ready she had sliced the applesauce & it was wonderful. We would have it with our meal. It great with pork.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 PM

I love orzo so will cook 2-3 cups and leave it in the refrig and use as needed, so this would work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was gonna say chilled orzo pasta salad with cucumbers, yellow bell pepper, onion, and french garlic-mustard vinaigrette, but you have to cook the pasta.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM

Never heard of creamed cucumber! Interesting....good ideas thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Tuna salad( canned albacore, chopped onions, chopped pickels, relish, mayo) or chicken salad( canned white chicken, onions, mayo) but I do toast the bread. I add a slice of pepper jack cheese to the tuna for a tuna melt. When the home grown tomatoes are ripe they'll be added either as a side dish or to the sandwich.
For a side dish you could have chow chow( a Pa dutch sweet and sour garden medley of different beans and other veggies) or cole slaw or pepper cabbage. Or plain old potato chips. Or macaroni salad.
My mother makes the best Pa dutch potato salad imaginable. Its like german potao salad taken to an even higher level. If you know what hot bacon dressing is, its like that in taste. You can add chopped hard boiled eggs and garnish with paprika and lots of crumbled fried bacon. You can eat it hot or cold and its almost a meal in itself.
I like the Suddenly Salad pasta salads. The ranch flavor dressed up with cherry tomatoes and added bacon is very good.
Cold cucumber and sliced onion in a vinegar dressing aren't bad. Older family members like creamed cucumber but I just can't summon the courage to try that.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Pasta salads are so versatile....this sounds good, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
My MiL always makes her pasta salad.
She uses different cooked pasta, but usually uses the Large maccaroni.

Large Maccaroni cooked, drained.
Chunked fresh Tomatoes.
Vidalia Onions
Cucumbers sliced
Canned Peas (her favorite)
Sliced Black Olives
Can sliced or button Mushrooms

Dressing of your choice.
(She usually does a Mayo, Sour Cream and some Ranch dressing mixed together with all the veggies & puts in fridge until all is well chilled.

Making the chicken in this heat isn't as bad as you would think.

Buy chicken tenders, cut to bite size pieces & season. Do a stir fry.
use chicken to put into a salad.
OR
Cook whole chicken tenders in a stir fry. Use chicken for sandwiches or chicken salad.

Pretzel salad is always good...ANYTIME.....

Fresh fruit salad.

Now I'm hungry & I was headed for bed.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:50 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Green Papaya Salad. Trader Joe's makes it easy.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:24 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times
Anyone else notice a CUCUMBER theme in many of the posts? Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink