Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,001,150 times

Advertisements

What did you have??

Me and the Mrs. spent about $150.00 for sushi in Seattle once.
and it was worth every bite....

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 01:31 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
We had a pretty hefty bill at a restaurant (well over $100 for the two of us) in Florida one time. We had King crab claws - lots of 'em and boy were they good.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:46 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
Probably the Ritz Carlton for a 5-course dinner with wine pairings. It was $175 pps.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
I have been very lucky to be taken to many really expensive restaurants , some I have paid for though :

"The French Laundry" in Yountville, Napa Valley ( ( courses tasting meny , around $250 a head) , one of the best meals I have ever had. Dishes which stick out in my mind were an amazing red snapper with the best vegetables ever, some fantastic foie gras with vanilla and balsamic vinegar, some amazing crab dish with roasted fennel and superb mayonnaise and the best fillet mignon ever, so full of flavour and so perfectly cooked with this astonshing sauce bursting with flavours.

The French Laundry

"Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons" in Little Milton near where I live ( about $200 a head ) for my 40th Birthday. All of it was absolutely mind blowingly fantastically yummy. The Amuses Bouche were just extraordinary , tiny little capsules bursting with so many different flavours. The Red Pepper Mousse so light and delicious it could almost have turned me vegetarian. It was a 12 course tasting menu, all of it unbelievably amazing. And wonderful surroundings, very romantic place for dinner. We had been there before for lunch a few times as they had a special priced menu but this really was pushing the boat out.

Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons | Raymond Blanc's Two Michelin Star Restaurant & Hotel in Oxfordshire

And I was taken to many of France's best restaurants by my Dad, as well as many other great places in Italy, Spain, etc... too. I am deeply grateful to him because some of those prices are just a little too steep for my current pocket ! :

"Bras" in Laguiole , Central France , everything once again perfect, "Pierre Gagnaire" in Paris, perfection on a plate, "Troisgros" just outside of Lyon , so good it was like you had died and gone to heaven , and many more. I feel very fortunate that I was brought up to go to restaurants since a baby and got to visit some truly outstanding restaurants.

Dining out is with travel and the theatre our only "vice", we don't drink, don't smoke, are the worst consumers ever , loathe shopping, no designer clothes, no expensive cars, we just love eating out. We would only spend the sums mentioned above on extremely special occasions though.

A normal "special occasion" for us will set us back probably about $120/$150 for the two of us ( ie really good restaurant with romantic atmosphere, fabulous food, great service, nice setting like a country manor house. For that you will get a chef who has worked in some of the best restaurants, and offerings like Foie Gras, Scallops, Lobster, Monkfish, Fillet Steak, the best sauces etc....

We go out quite a lot , at least twice a week but to more reasonably priced places ( about $ 50/60 for the two of us).

Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,549,769 times
The fanciest that I truly enjoyed... was not the most expensive one I've ever been to... I don't remember what I had at the most expensive...

But the fanciest I enjoyed most was at the Embassy Suites, with a table next to the indoor pond/waterfall with the ducks. Truly magical, for me : ) I'd probably be pretty happy if I could live at the Embassy. The one I remember in particular was in Downey, CA.

I haven't found that the most expensive places really please me, due to disappointing menus & service... In Eugene, where I live, it just isn't worth it. And what I find the most enjoyable would probably not even suit you guys... I'm just not the formal type to go out to the expensive places : ) But I get where you're coming from: it's all about pleasure!

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 07-27-2011 at 05:37 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
The fanciest that I truly enjoyed... was not the most expensive one I've ever been to... I don't remember what I had at the most expensive...

But the fanciest I enjoyed most was at the Embassy Suites next to the pond with the birds. Truly magical, for me : ) I'd probably be pretty happy if I could live at the Embassy. The one I remember in particular was in Downey, CA.

I haven't found that the most expensive places really please me, due to disappointing menus & service... In Eugene, where I live, it just isn't worth it. And what I find the most enjoyable would probably not even suit you guys... I'm just not the formal type to go out to the expensive places : ) But I get where you're coming from: it's all about pleasure!

Food is about enjoyment and I agree that the most expensive are not necessarily the best places. I have been to some truly mediocre eye wateringly expensive places ! And I always complain about it and will write bad reviews about them too.

Food is either good or it isn't basically. A good burger or salad can be fabulous. Not everything has to be 5 Stars all the time but I think sometimes it is nice to treat yourself.

One of my favourite places in Oxford is a hole in the wall type of place which serves really good hamburgers and fries. I love homely food too, stews, savoury pies, meatloaf that kind of thing.

Scallops and Fillet Steak may be my favourite foods but I really don't eat them that often ! I could live on seafood though.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:06 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
I don't know about the most expensive restaurant overall (been to some pricey restaurants but can't recall any one that sticks out as far above the rest) but the most expensive burger I've ever had was a Kobe Burger for £18.25 (about $30 USD) from The Grill on New York Street - Blackhouse Grills - Restaurant and Bar in Piccadily Manchester (http://www.blackhouse.uk.com/restaurants/the-grill-on-new-york-street - broken link)
It was good but at that price, I expected it to be the best burger I've ever had and it was not.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I can think of a few, and I agree, fancy and expensive are not always the same:

Fancy: Le Bistro on NCL ships for starters
a place (no longer in business) in Redondo Beach Ca, called Plush Horse (fancy to us, we were newly married, early 20s)
Sir Francis Drake in San Francisco
RAinbow Room in NYC

Most expensive: a Hungarian restaurant in D.C. It wasn't expensive but the bill was out of sight for those days (20 years ago and about $75.00 a person) without tip. The food was very modest, unfortunately one of our friends had too much to drink and proceeded to order 2 rounds of drinks for everyone in the restaurant. Luckily there were only about 10 people there at the time.

Ruth Chris, expensive but luckily all 4 times we have gone, someone has been paying all or part of the bill. The worst part, I do not think it is all that great. If it was fantastic I might not think it was all that pricey.

I am sure there have been a few others, but these stick out right now.

NIta

Old 07-27-2011, 04:35 PM

258 posts, read 450,578 times
I think it was a super famous fusion restaurant in Atlantic City. Around $190 per person, then $150 per person at the BLT steakhouse in DC, next to the White House. I actually went into the restaurant right as Obama had been leaving from dinner.

Prime Rib in DC I would consider the next stage at about 120 per person
and then Ruth Chris at 80-100 per person. Suprisingly (to me) I'd rate them in that order as well. But price differs by what you order.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,597 times
Milan, Italy decades ago. Dinner at a chic restaurant near La Scala. Have no idea how many dollars the Lire converted to but we had two waiters hovering over us and the dinner was outstanding. Main course was veal with artichoke hearts but don't recall the rest. Didn't know what we paid for on the street for those opera tickets either ...but it was all worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink