Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times

Advertisements

I don't remember exactly when it happened (perhaps last year), but Betty Crocker changed the formula for Potato Buds. The 'new and improved' version tastes very much different than the previous formula - nowhere near as good. It seems to taste very generic.

When I noticed this change, I went on the company's web site and registered my dissatifaction with the new product. To my surprise, there were hundreds of other complaints like mine. I also called and actually talked to a person and registered my complaint. He said they were swamped with complaints.

So how many of you out on city-data feel the same way. I want them to bring back the old formula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 12:09 AM

560 posts, read 849,456 times
I can't respond to your original post as I haven't bought these in a long time.

But I have to come clean... I try to cook as much from scratch as possible but these things are a total guilty pleasure! Haven't had any in the house in a while but now want to rush out and get some. With lots of butter... mmmmmmmmmmm

Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
I like to make home made mashed potatoes, but Potato Buds have been a guilty pleasure of mine for years. Even when I was a teenager I would suddenly crave them and run out and buy a box, then cook them with plenty of REAL butter and top with sour cream. Now I like to put snipped green onions and chives on top.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
The idea of instant mashed potatoes grosses me out. Plus, I prefer slightly lumpy mashers anyway. One time, though, my m-i-l served us Potato Buds and I almost didn't notice. They really were perfectly serviceable and, if I could get past my psychological aversion to them, I might have even bought a box. Sorry to hear they changed the formula.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I don't remember exactly when it happened (perhaps last year), but Betty Crocker changed the formula for Potato Buds. The 'new and improved' version tastes very much different than the previous formula - nowhere near as good. It seems to taste very generic.

When I noticed this change, I went on the company's web site and registered my dissatifaction with the new product. To my surprise, there were hundreds of other complaints like mine. I also called and actually talked to a person and registered my complaint. He said they were swamped with complaints.

So how many of you out on city-data feel the same way. I want them to bring back the old formula.
I've heard other people say that about that very brand and just recently. So getting over the weirdness of the coincidence.

Maybe they'll respond to their customers.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
No doubt employing cheaper products to attain a greater profit margin. I see this happen a lot. I don't eat instant myself, but have seen this happen in other foods I enjoy. I feel your pain.

20yrinbranson

Old 08-26-2011, 12:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
I noticed that, too.
I don't buy instant potatoes very often, and don't stick to one brand, but the difference was quite noticeable.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:18 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
I like their competitor's better, frankly.
To my taste, they (the prepared packets) are all too rich, so I get a box of unflavored flakes and add some to the pan. I don't like the greasy taste and texture and the flakes add a bit of lumpyness, which I like.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
I really liked the potatoes at a popular restaurant here in the Indy area, and the server told me that they were instant potatoes that they made with milk only, no water. With a little lard stirred in to add flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink