Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 07:56 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times

Advertisements

Hello...

I saw some great muffin pans to make super sized muffins/cupcakes. I've also seen cast iron muffin pans (for regular sized muffins) & try to buy cast iron so I can add the iron to my diet.

I don't have much experience baking muffins, but, I'd like to winter stockpile them in the freezer for quick breakfasts... was wondering if anyone uses the larger tins & what adjustments in temp/time you've needed to make for your recipes? I have an electric oven, if that matters.

Also, does anyone use the cast iron muffin pans (or cornbread stick cast iron pans) & would you recommend them to others?

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:37 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Muffin pans are made of steel like bread pans. These days sometimes they are coated with Teflon, but the best pans are glazed like a good pullman bread pan. The professional ones like a baker uses have cups welded into a tray.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
I have the large and extra small regular muffin pans, adjust your cooking time according to the recipe and do the toothpick test ( I start with adding about 5-7 minutes and go from there. I love my cast iron, but no muffin pans, I do have the cornbread ones hubby got me, but have yet to try them...Good luck and glad to see you using the iron!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Muffin pans are made of steel like bread pans. These days sometimes they are coated with Teflon, but the best pans are glazed like a good pullman bread pan. The professional ones like a baker uses have cups welded into a tray.
Wow Wilson. I googled Pullman pans & finally see how bakery sandwiches are so perfectly square. Never heard of them before but I am going to have to buy 1 for summer veggie sandwiches. I avoid Teflon coating, but never heard of glazing... lots I'm learning here, thanks.

But, I can't find pics of baker's pans with welded cups. Can't even picture what those would look like. I did find tart pans with removable bottoms (I'll add those to my Christmas list!) Can you give me a brand name so I can google them?

Thanks very much!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I have the large and extra small regular muffin pans, adjust your cooking time according to the recipe and do the toothpick test ( I start with adding about 5-7 minutes and go from there. I love my cast iron, but no muffin pans, I do have the cornbread ones hubby got me, but have yet to try them...Good luck and glad to see you using the iron!
Thanks GR. I'll begin with the 5-7M rule. I don't have any recipes tailored to giant, jumbo muffins but have made a few things with raw middles or bottom crusts... part of the problem when moving & adjusting to a new oven & electric rather than gas. Perhaps being above sea level for the 1st time also makes a difference?

But, I did order 2 jumbo muffin pans from Amazon & can't wait to test a coffee cake recipe in them... I'm going to have to speed up winter treadmill walking lest I become known as the pudgy muffin eater at the fitness center.

I'll post pics once I begin baking up a storm. That's the one thing I like about colder weather... the oven regularly churning out a warm room & goodies!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:05 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Wow Wilson. I googled Pullman pans & finally see how bakery sandwiches are so perfectly square. Never heard of them before but I am going to have to buy 1 for summer veggie sandwiches. I avoid Teflon coating, but never heard of glazing... lots I'm learning here, thanks.

But, I can't find pics of baker's pans with welded cups. Can't even picture what those would look like. I did find tart pans with removable bottoms (I'll add those to my Christmas list!) Can you give me a brand name so I can google them?

Thanks very much!
Here is what a real muffin pan looks like:

Lockwood Manufacturing, Inc.

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Here is what a real muffin pan looks like:

Lockwood Manufacturing, Inc.
Wilson, you offer great info. With this link, I'm not sure you realize how you are fueling my addiction to kitchenware. I admit it! I am an addict!

I love this site, thank you! The silicon resin cookie pans are brilliant. You & GR are either going to get February boxes of treats in the mail... or... February pics of my tubby tummy, filled with treats.

I will begin investigating professional bake/cookware. I'm an amateur gourmet cook & love every minute of it! I must have been a rich family's cook in a past life...

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink