Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:16 PM

170 posts, read 496,214 times

Advertisements

Shrimp fried rice has always been my favorite item on the menu at the Chinese take aways. In the last few years though I've noticed a difference in how it taste&the ingredients put in. It used to be when I ordered SFR it would have plenty of bean sprouts,egg,green onion,carrots,peas,and white onion. Now whenever I order the dish,no matter the restaurant, it only consists of (crunchy)rice,onions,a few sprouts,and shrimp. I went to order the other day(at a restaurant I've never eaten at)and asked the woman what ingredients were in their SFR.She named all the (latter) items I mentioned. I asked her what happened to restaurants putting the egg,peas,&healthy dose of sprouts in. She smiled&(politely)pointed out there would be an extra charge for more sprouts but told me she's never heard of egg,carrots,or peas in SFR.
I decided not to order the dish from her restaurant. I left almost convinced I'd made up my past experience with SFR.I almost talked myself into believing I'd imagined the peas,carrots,&eggs.Then I walked into a Thai take away&saw Kow Pad on the menu. The list of ingredients were almost identical to what I used to get in SFR.The only thing missing were the sprouts.
Now my questions are am I the only one who's noticed the change in this dish when ordered from the take aways? How is SFR prepared/served in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 01:32 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
It is regrettable that restaurants have chosen price over quality, but that is the phenomenon you are witnessing. For my part, I would rather have a good meal than a cheap meal. I can make a cheap meal at home but often don't have the skill, equipment, or patience to make something really nice along the lines of shrimp fried rice. when I go out, i want it to be worth it. Fortunately, I live just a few blocks away from the very best Chinese restaurant in the City and they have take out. So, the combination fried rice comes with much egg, sprouts, shrimp, etc.

China Gourmet

Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times
I order pork fried rice. It's fresh and has everything mentioned and bok choy too.
I douse it in hot mustard & soy sauce and have to use a spoon to eat it.
Now I have a craving. Thanks, rucks.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
I have SFR from many places, and I dont recall seeing much egg, at least larger bits, for a long time. I do like carrots and onions but can do without the sprouts. Some peas are ok, but some places go crazy. I prefer fat tiny shrimp to large or chopped shrimp. I really dislike it when places make SFR with standard mixed vegetables that include lima and green beans. Lots of Mexican places do the same thing with their Spanish rice.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 AM

986 posts, read 1,666,460 times
I thought it was just me, I've noticed that too. I eat my SFR the same way - with carrots, onions, and sprouts. I had a place in Atlanta that made it wonderfully, and I had to pay extra to get the extra veggies.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:36 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
I order pork fried rice. It's fresh and has everything mentioned and bok choy too.
I douse it in hot mustard & soy sauce and have to use a spoon to eat it.
Now I have a craving. Thanks, rucks.
You're not supposed to use a spoon to eat your fried rice! ...

Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
How else do you eat fried rice if not with a spoon?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 AM

525 posts, read 899,743 times
shrimp fri rice vetty good. yea

Old 10-06-2011, 09:50 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
How else do you eat fried rice if not with a spoon?
Oh no....you too? You're supposed to use a fork!.......lol!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 AM

861 posts, read 1,124,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
shrimp fri rice vetty good. yea
lol yes it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink