Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

About a month ago, my aunt had a heart attack. One of her arteries was totally blocked (they fixed it) and she had a clot in her lung as well.

Since this "event," she's quit smoking (!!!!!) and is exercising a bit.

Problem: She's a potato chip addict. A big one. She can easily finish off a family-sized bag of chips in a day. They're sometimes even a meal replacement for her. Not cool!

Her kids have tried to get her onto baked ones -- she doesn't like them.

I tried to get her interested in the roasted garbanzo beans that I recently discovered and though she thought the idea was terrific, she hasn't made them yet. Opening a bag of chips is easier, I agree, and besides, the chick peas aren't potatoes!

Do any of you have any great ideas as a replacement snack? She craves the potato itself, likes the saltiness (although she does like "reduced salt" ones, too), and the oily goodness.

I'm going to visit her and would like to bring along some stuff to entice her. I'm looking for already-made things -- items that are in boxes or bags -- that would interest her as much as greasy, salty, potato chips.

It's a tall order -- this is 40+ years of professional chip-eating that I'd have to undo -- so if you know of any yummy delicious products out there that are healthier than potato chips, please let me know.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Edamame, Soy Beans. They come in a bag, you heat up in the microwave. I grind up coarse sea salt on mine. No fat, low cal, full of protein.

Hot air popped pop corn, spray with butter flavoring, or Butter sprinkles, and salt.

Just a few thoughts...good luck.

Last edited by jasper12; 11-04-2011 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: edit.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Chips are my favorite, but I also like popcorn, so I sub that in most of the time.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Edamame, Soy Beans. They come in a bag, you heat up in the microwave. I grind up coarse sea salt on mine. No fat, low cal, full of protein.

Hot air popped pop corn, spray with butter flavoring, or Butter sprinkles, and salt.

Just a few thoughts...good luck.
I love edamame but I'm sure that her interest will be nil.

I'm definitely going to suggest popcorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Chips are my favorite, but I also like popcorn, so I sub that in most of the time.
I'm going to suggest popcorn -- I just wish (for her sake) that it came in potato flavor.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:11 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
How about sweet potato chips? They cost more, but at least they've got more nutritional value and more fiber. I think they're delish!

Another idea: Since your aunt has so much difficulty with portion control, maybe try getting a box of single-serving chip bags and telling her to at least cut back by only eating one or two bags a day. After a while, cut back to only one and then maybe she can wean herself off the chips entirely and substitute something more healthfu. Chips are my biggest downfall, and I can't even have them in the house. If there's an open bag around, it's too easy to sit with it on my lap and chow away, not realizing how many I'm really eating. At least if they're in small, individual bags, your aunt might find it a little easier to control how many she eats.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
How about sweet potato chips? They cost a lot more, but at least they've got more nutritional value and more fiber. I think they're delish!
YES! Bingo! I'm definitely going to pick up a couple of bags of those for her! Thank you!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
YES! Bingo! I'm definitely going to pick up a couple of bags of those for her! Thank you!
Glad to help! There are also other veggie chips which are delicious. You still need to read the nutrition info on the bags, though, for info re: saturated and trans fats, sodium, fiber content, etc.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Also, does your aunt cook? I've made yummy tater and sweet tater chips myself by thinly slicing the taters, drizzling olive oil on them, salting them to taste, and baking them on a cookie sheet.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Glad to help! There are also other veggie chips which are delicious. You still need to read the nutrition info on the bags, though, for info re: saturated and trans fats, sodium, fiber content, etc.
I've had those veggie chips. I love them; she'll hate them.

Quote:
Also, does your aunt cook? I've made yummy tater and sweet tater chips myself by thinly slicing the taters, drizzling olive oil on them, salting them to taste, and baking them on a cookie sheet.
She does cook but when it comes to chips, it's just so much easier to open a bag. She won't put herself through the effort, hence the reason she hasn't even tried the roasted garbanzo beans, which are so easy to do. She needs a quick fix, that's why I want to get a bunch of snacks in bags for her to try and hopefully love.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:11 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,382 times
Be clear on your objective and read labels. According to a CU I just read, "vegatable" chips are little improvement. They may have a "little" more nutrition, but you may find the salt and oil is comparable.

The portion controll point is a VERY good one.

What I've found is that it's the oil and salt that are appealing. And like sweetners of any kind, your pallet adjusts to them. High fat foods like ice cream and croissants are delish because of the fat content is so satisfying. Frankly, I think it's the oil and salt (and crunch) she likes more than the actual "potato".

For me replacing oil and salt, with spices works. Though I know not everyones tastes on seasonings varies. One of my favorites it rice crackers with or without and wasabi peas. though I know the hotness of the peas may peas too much for some people. Rice crackers can be found in bulk at some stores (Winco). They are also easily found in import (Cost Plus and oriental stores.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink