Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:31 AM

124 posts, read 174,696 times

Advertisements

Somehow to me these are two different topics. Portion size serve and waste and starving people in the world. Large portion food allows me two meals. More than not when eating the food the next day, it is not enough for a meal just a snack. We always take leftovers home. For the starving people in the world, teach them to feed themselves, farming, birth control, overthrow their corrupt government. Charities have been servicing this need for decades, teaching them to clean their water, farming, etc. What they need is peace and stabliization in their country, only then will the humanetarin needs will be met. One guy from Africa came over to the US and saw how wasteful hotels were with soap, he fanagled a contract and now all used soap is recycled and used in Africa.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoflov1232 View Post
Somehow to me these are two different topics. Portion size serve and waste and starving people in the world. Large portion food allows me two meals. More than not when eating the food the next day, it is not enough for a meal just a snack. We always take leftovers home. For the starving people in the world, teach them to feed themselves, farming, birth control, overthrow their corrupt government. Charities have been servicing this need for decades, teaching them to clean their water, farming, etc. What they need is peace and stabliization in their country, only then will the humanetarin needs will be met. One guy from Africa came over to the US and saw how wasteful hotels were with soap, he fanagled a contract and now all used soap is recycled and used in Africa.
They are related. Big portion sizes are most definitely related to poverty and famine in other parts of the world. We could be exporting all that grain, produce and meat that goes to waste to poorer nations. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out. People who say that what happens in the US doesn't affect the world are talking baloney. To me the main problem is portion size - I of course don't want people stuffing themselves - the problem here is waste, the main problem is portion size, but there is another problem which no one seems to be really taking a close look at.

Here in the West we're just too casual with waste. I'm not surprised, thinking about it, why people are so defensive when I criticise them. They're defensive about driving wasteful, polluting vehicles, in living in suburbs that are wasteful and environmentally degrading, in consuming disposable products that decimate raw materials and create more and more waste. When is this stubborn defensiveness of this selfish consumerism lifestyle gonna stop?

I'm only raising this because I see it all the time and nobody seems to care about it. We help the world by starting with ourselves. But from my experience it seems most people just don't give a damn. It's sad really. We'll also pay in the future...

Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
The biggest offenders are the corporate supermarkets. They would rather throw the food away than give the expired (but still edible) food to the communities they reside in for fear of lawsuits. But I guess this is the sad world we live in these days.

Not only do the toss it away, they are required to destroy it before putting it in the dumpsters, by company policy. Don't blame the corporations for this however, it's a result of greedy people, everyone looking for their 'settlement'... think about those commercials where those folks are all yelling "It's MY money and I need it NOW!"

It's not just sad, it's tragic.

On to the OP... when we are travelling, we are often surprised by bigger portion sizes than we were expecting, but have no where to store the food and so end up leaving quite a bit on the table. We've also been in situations where we're going to dinner first, then somewhere else and it's too hot outside to leave leftovers in the car. Or the food didn't taste good and it belonged in the trash or in some cases, obviously won't reheat well.

Rather than be annoyed at people who don't finish their food, be annoyed at horrible cooks and litigous people.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I see it all the time at restaurants. Sometimes there's half a plate or even more of unfinished food. All that food is thrown out, when there are people starving in Africa.
It's not the "people" but our restaurants that pile more food on plates than is healthy, or needed.

Do you continue to eat after your hunger has been satisfied when you eat out, so the food "isn't wasted"?
Then you are the typical glutton, and if you don't now you will have serious weight and health issues in your future.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
They are related. Big portion sizes are most definitely related to poverty and famine in other parts of the world. We could be exporting all that grain, produce and meat that goes to waste to poorer nations. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out. People who say that what happens in the US doesn't affect the world are talking baloney. To me the main problem is portion size - I of course don't want people stuffing themselves - the problem here is waste, the main problem is portion size, but there is another problem which no one seems to be really taking a close look at.

Here in the West we're just too casual with waste. I'm not surprised, thinking about it, why people are so defensive when I criticise them. They're defensive about driving wasteful, polluting vehicles, in living in suburbs that are wasteful and environmentally degrading, in consuming disposable products that decimate raw materials and create more and more waste. When is this stubborn defensiveness of this selfish consumerism lifestyle gonna stop?

I'm only raising this because I see it all the time and nobody seems to care about it. We help the world by starting with ourselves. But from my experience it seems most people just don't give a damn. It's sad really. We'll also pay in the future...
The highlighted red portions remind me of a song, "Lord, it's hard to be humble... when you're perfect in everyway"... and the highlighted green portions reminds me of the saying, "Physician, heal thyself!"

Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's not the "people" but our restaurants that pile more food on plates than is healthy, or needed.

Do you continue to eat after your hunger has been satisfied when you eat out, so the food "isn't wasted"?
Then you are the typical glutton, and if you don't now you will have serious weight and health issues in your future.
Hardly...I only eat a full meal if I'm hungry. If going out with others when not hungry, I'll order an entree (means appetizer in the rest of the world) or a snack. Why is that so hard to do??

I'm not a big eater and am probably slightly underweight for my height. Still within the 'healthy range' I suppose.

I think after awhile people have a pretty good idea of their appetites and how they vary. To me, the attitude of being a habitual waster just says you just don't care. That's different from now and then being 'too full', but if you're too full to finish even half your meal most of the time every time you go out to eat then the waste IS your fault.

People always like to blame the 'big bad companies/restaurants'...they're too pig-headed the realise the problem is often them.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The highlighted red portions remind me of a song, "Lord, it's hard to be humble... when you're perfect in everyway"... and the highlighted green portions reminds me of the saying, "Physician, heal thyself!"
So you'd only listen to people who are perfect? Well practically nobody is, so you'd do good to just listen to nobody. When people try to say something constructive and helpful people get on the defensive because it 'upsets them.'

I'm not perfect. On rare occasion I do waste myself, as I've said, but at least I care.

Last edited by Trimac20; 02-01-2012 at 08:35 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 08:07 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
The whole stinking system is skewed. That's the reason why the rainforests of the tropics are disappearing, because the exploitation of third world economies has forced them to rely on just churning out raw product for the avaricious advanced economies.

But yeah, go on, waste is good. Let's cut down more trees, let's ravage the land even more, let's breed more cows, just to fill up the rubbish bins of America! What a uniquely bizarre way of looking at things. I hardly know whether to take you seriously.

I'm for keeping the Third World rain forests intact. Trouble is, the people that live in those places want to sell lumber and build cities and improve their lives. If one accepts evolution as a natural force, and Darwinism as a predicate, one can hardly argue with obliterating the rain forests and driving their animal residents into extinction. After all, humans are part of the process too.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
why is this such a big deal for you??? Many people waste food and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Last edited by lubby; 02-01-2012 at 09:14 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
So you'd only listen to people who are perfect? Well practically is, so you'd do good to just listen to nobody. When people try to say something constructive and helpful people get on the defensive because it 'upsets them.'

I'm not perfect. On rare occasion I do waste myself, as I've said, but at least I care.
No, that is not what I said. I was pointing out the self righteous tone of your post. "I get annoyed when I see people" is not a helpful or constructive statement. On the contrary, it sounds judgemental and pompous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink