Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

I see it all the time at restaurants. Sometimes there's half a plate or even more of unfinished food. All that food is thrown out, when there are people starving in Africa.

The very very rare occasions I've done that I've over-estimated how much I could eat, or I was surprised by a meal that was too big. But I think, in general, you should be able to estimate how much you can comfortably eat. Also you can probably see how big the sizes are from what other diners are eating. If you really aren't that sure and the portion sizes seem large ask the waiter. If you're not really hungry, don't order a full meal, steak and chips or something, just to 'fit in' or something, order an entree! (edit: going to America I found out 'entrees' are main meals there, so I guess I mean appetizer or snack).

I understand we can't always finish our meals, and it's excusable if we go to an unfamiliar place and don't realise how big it is, but usually others will be happy to finish off your leftovers. If I have a lot of leftovers I often ask them to pack it to take home.

But I'm annoyed because I see it so often and it's such a waste.

Maybe portion sizes are partly to blame? In America especially portion sizes are too big. I've been told it's not good to feel 'stuffed' after a meal. I'm all for having the OPTION of smaller portions at a cheaper price.

It's annoying because of the waste that goes into producing food that no one will eat, over-consumption, and the fact that food could go to feed the poor.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 PM

54 posts, read 72,403 times
Take all you want, but eat all you take.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheaties View Post
Take all you want, but eat all you take.
Exactly...

Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
If I pay for it, and I can't finish it all, I take it home for leftovers.

The place where I see this act comitted most often is at buffet's where they don't allow people to take anything home. When I see this, it irritates me, because it will eventually drive the prices up for everyone else.

The biggest offenders are the corporate supermarkets. They would rather throw the food away than give the expired (but still edible) food to the communities they reside in for fear of lawsuits. But I guess this is the sad world we live in these days.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
I have asked for smaller portions and even said I am happy to pay the normal price - purely because I hate waste. Waiters look at me like I'm mad. I do ask the waiters to describe how much food I am going to get and often as for a salad instead of fries/potatoes which is a better option for me.
I rarely take food away from a restaurant unless its Indian and then I completely over order for exactly that purpose.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:50 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

The place where I see this act comitted most often is at buffet's where they don't allow people to take anything home. When I see this, it irritates me, because it will eventually drive the prices up for everyone else.

The biggest offenders are the corporate supermarkets. They would rather throw the food away than give the expired (but still edible) food to the communities they reside in for fear of lawsuits. But I guess this is the sad world we live in these days.
When I was living in the UK in Manchester there was an Indian buffet restaurant and they would fine people who left more than a spoonful of food on their plate. The fine went to charity. Great idea !!
If I go to a buffet I first try a spoon of all the things I like the look of and then make a decision. Its that easy.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

People eating at buffets should have even less excuse since you take as much as you want. I guess buffets are for pigging out, so people take far more than they can eat. Since it's all you can eat people always want to get the best value for their buck. I prefer the idea of cheaper buffets with limits, as stuffing myself with that much food just makes me feel ill and like a glutton.

Yes the supermarkets and bakeries too. Some bakeries do try to give all their goods away at the end of the day, but it's so wasteful to just throw it out. Often in supermarkets the food isn't even expired and they throw it out.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
When I was living in the UK in Manchester there was an Indian buffet restaurant and they would fine people who left more than a spoonful of food on their plate. The fine went to charity. Great idea !!
Could you imagine the outrage if a restaurant tried to do that in the U.S.?

God Forbid! Something tells me they wouldn't be in business for long. In fact, it would probably be the government that would try to shut them down for one reason or another.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
[quote=Trimac20;22780321]People eating at buffets should have even less excuse since you take as much as you want. I guess buffets are for pigging out, so people take far more than they can eat. Since it's all you can eat people always want to get the best value for their buck. I prefer the idea of cheaper buffets with limits, as stuffing myself with that much food just makes me feel ill and like a glutton.

Yes the supermarkets and bakeries too. Some bakeries do try to give all their goods away at the end of the day, but it's so wasteful to just throw it out. Often in supermarkets the food isn't even expired and they throw it out.[/quote]

This is changing,
Second Harvest Heartland: Food Rescue Program

We go to our church every Friday to help with the food giveaway and we receive at least two large boxes of free recued food. We get more produce than you could imagine and meat, cheese, breads, bakery, eggs, milk, yogurt, the list goes on.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I see it all the time at restaurants. Sometimes there's half a plate or even more of unfinished food. All that food is thrown out, when there are people starving in Africa.

The very very rare occasions I've done that I've over-estimated how much I could eat, or I was surprised by a meal that was too big. But I think, in general, you should be able to estimate how much you can comfortably eat. Also you can probably see how big the sizes are from what other diners are eating. If you really aren't that sure and the portion sizes seem large ask the waiter. If you're not really hungry, don't order a full meal, steak and chips or something, just to 'fit in' or something, order an entree! (edit: going to America I found out 'entrees' are main meals there, so I guess I mean appetizer or snack).

I understand we can't always finish our meals, and it's excusable if we go to an unfamiliar place and don't realise how big it is, but usually others will be happy to finish off your leftovers. If I have a lot of leftovers I often ask them to pack it to take home.

But I'm annoyed because I see it so often and it's such a waste.

Maybe portion sizes are partly to blame? In America especially portion sizes are too big. I've been told it's not good to feel 'stuffed' after a meal. I'm all for having the OPTION of smaller portions at a cheaper price.

It's annoying because of the waste that goes into producing food that no one will eat, over-consumption, and the fact that food could go to feed the poor.
Yes, there are hungry people all over the world, but people cleaning their plates or restaurants serving smaller portions will not solve this problem. They are 2 different issues. I, for one, wish restaurants wouldn't confuse quality with quantity and I wish people in buffets would think before filling their plates so they overflow. Now, the answer to the problem, if you get too much and it isn't a buffet type restaurant, just get a container and take the unused food home. That is what most people do now days.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink