Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 02:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times

Advertisements

I've been toying with the idea of competing in my area's State Fair.

Has anyone else competed or is thinking about competing? Most state fairs have multiple food/baking competitions.

Here's a list of fairs: US State Fair Directory 2015
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:58 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I've been toying with the idea of competing in my area's State Fair.

Has anyone else competed or is thinking about competing? Most state fairs have multiple food/baking competitions.

Here's a list of fairs: US State Fair Directory 2015
I've never been that brave. I entered the county fair competition - three times. First year nothing, second year runner up, and third year took first place in baking. I was 18. Giddy up and yeehaw! I took the $100, the trophy, and never went back.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've never been that brave. I entered the county fair competition - three times. First year nothing, second year runner up, and third year took first place in baking. I was 18. Giddy up and yeehaw! I took the $100, the trophy, and never went back.
Maybe it's time to give it another try.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
I used to enter the county fair every year and have a lot of ribbons, which really meant a lot to me at the time. I mostly placed with canned goods, but also with baked goods. I did the state fair a couple of times as well, but I don't do either anymore. Our state fair isn't that close and even the county fair, which is only about 30 min drive just isn't worth it anymore. I just keep the ribbons in a big box, I am sure my kids could care less. I just get my satisfaction from comments I get on my cooking. Of course I don't get satisfaction when I fix something that brings more negatives than positives and this does happen.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:07 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Over the last few years, I have judged several state fair competitions and a number of other culinary competitions. Some of the food has been excellent but a lot of it frankly, has not been very good.

An organization that I represented sponsored several competitions at the various Midwestern State Fairs.

I have noted that there are a few people who will enter nearly every contest at the state fair, especially those categories where there is little or no competition. Many of the state far competitions only feature products from the local county and several counties around.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:28 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Do it. Enter something. It is fun.

I've just shown waterfowl. However, I always go to the exhibit hall and look at the entries for baked goods, canned goods, fresh veggies, and cut flowers.

I've always been given a free pass to get into the fair, but maybe that's only because I need to be there every day to feed and water the birds. So, I don't know if you get a free pass for entering a cake or not. It should be easy to find out.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Over the last few years, I have judged several state fair competitions and a number of other culinary competitions. Some of the food has been excellent but a lot of it frankly, has not been very good.

An organization that I represented sponsored several competitions at the various Midwestern State Fairs.

I have noted that there are a few people who will enter nearly every contest at the state fair, especially those categories where there is little or no competition. Many of the state far competitions only feature products from the local county and several counties around.
It is true, many people know which fairs have fewer partipants. To be honest, the one I won the most ribbons in and was the winner 4 years for best in show (canning) really didn't have as much competition. The state fair had a lot more and our county fair is has at least a thousand entries in the canned goods section just for starters. I didn't do nearly as well here. I did win a couple of blue ribbons, but nothing like in New Mexico.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
Along the same lines: Have any members here won any cooking/baking contests?

Old 07-10-2015, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I haven't actually won any contests, but I have had my recipes chosen to be printed. One was in a cooking magazine and a few others have been used in local food sections of the newspaper. Of course that isn't the same as actually winning a cooking contest.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:38 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I haven't actually won any contests, but I have had my recipes chosen to be printed. One was in a cooking magazine and a few others have been used in local food sections of the newspaper. Of course that isn't the same as actually winning a cooking contest.
Just make sure that you copyright them.

Too often, people obtain a recipe from a friend or a friend's friend and put it out on a website as their own. A friend of mine is dealing with that situation right now.
'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink