Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
This story was from a young relative of ours', but all the stories about cats walking around on everything makes me have to share. "Dana" came home from kindergarten, and her mother asked her how school was. She said the girl who was supposed to bring snack that day came in without anything in the morning, and the teacher asked her where the snack of the day was. The little girl said that her mother would bring it later. She said they made cupcakes the night before, but the cat licked all the frosting off them, so her mother was re-frosting them and would bring them in when she was done.
Yes. RE-FROSTING THEM.
RE-FROSTING??!!

When I worked in home health care we took care of an elderly man, and his wife used to send cookies and brownies back to the office. It wasn't my usual patient, but when one of the nurses was off I went to their home.

I was surprised to see that they had nine cats, most of which were in the kitchen. There was a baking sheet with fresh cookies on the stove, and CAT FOOTPRINTS on the cookie sheet, in between the cookies. You could clearly see the footprints, as well as numerous hairs of different colors, in the oil, or cooking spray, or grease on the baking sheet.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
DH and I went to visit his grandmother and great-aunts. They (like the rest of his family) were all vegetarian. I never knew any vegetarians or ate fake meat made of soy before. Dinner was mashed potatoes (made without milk), Loma Linda vegetarian salisbury steak (from a can and REALLY AWFUL), and tasteless gravy made from flour browned in oil and water added to the pan. "Postum" (a grain beverage), instead of cofee (they were Seventh Day Adentists, and are not allowed to have meat or anything with caffeine in it). We spent the night, and the next day I had the WORST headache from caffeine withdrawal. After that, I always took a jar of instant coffee with me when we went visiting his relatives.

On a visit to his Aunt ********, I wanted to stop and grab something to eat on the way. DH said, "No, Aunt ****** will give us dinner." "Dinner" turned out to be a piece of stale birthday cake leftover from the week before and milk three days past the expiration date (and it tasted like it had started to turn). I was pregnant at the time and she kept refilling my glass. YUCK!

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 08-01-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM

986 posts, read 1,666,665 times
One of my friends decided to cook for me, since I had helped her out with a favor. She took a package of chicken drumsticks, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and cooked them in the microwave. Some parts were done, others were still raw. Yuck.

On another occasion, she had a "dinner party", and made us spaghetti with a can of straight tomato paste. No other seasonings, no water, nothing else, just spaghetti noodles and tomato paste.

I stayed away from tomato paste for a long time after that dinner.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,643 times
Pepper steak. The beef was tougher than some of the beef jerky that I normally eat. The cook who prepared this dish was really liberal with the soy sauce. Bleeech!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:13 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Perhaps when you grow up you'll appreciate food more.
I have to say, they looked pretty burnt to me. Trust me, I've ruined enough dinners to know what burnt looks like.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:15 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
Long ago when I was young, my dad had a stag party for a bunch of his farmer cronies. He was serving calf Rocky Mountain Oysters. I had to take a big bowl of potato salad out to the party farm house so my dad said to try one of those Rocky Mountain Oysters. I have always loved oysters so I thought these oysters he was serving came from the Rocky Mountains. They were kind of big but had a nice crust on them. Believe me they weren't the oysters I knew. OMG they were as bad as tripe!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,877,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Long ago when I was young, my dad had a stag party for a bunch of his farmer cronies. He was serving calf Rocky Mountain Oysters. I had to take a big bowl of potato salad out to the party farm house so my dad said to try one of those Rocky Mountain Oysters. I have always loved oysters so I thought these oysters he was serving came from the Rocky Mountains. They were kind of big but had a nice crust on them. Believe me they weren't the oysters I knew. OMG they were as bad as tripe!
I would imagine bull calf testicles taste like a**!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
This thread is hilarious

Old 08-01-2012, 04:15 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
I have a SIL that just cannot cook. She thinks she can, but she can't. Any time we have a family gathering, she gets assigned the job of bringing the paper goods. When she first married into the family, she would always bring a dessert, but no one could ever gag it down. Finally she got the job of paper person.

Many years later, we moved to the same town that they lived in. She kept saying she wanted us to come over for dinner. She kept saying that she knew no one in the family believed it, but she really could cook and she wanted to prove it. So we finally went to their house for dinner. When we walked into the kitchen, there was one saucepan on the stove and a stack of cereal bowls sitting beside it. She began scooping up what appeared to be Chef Boyardee spaghetti and plopping it the bowls. We were served this, along with some salad straight out of a bag. This was her definition of cooking. Our options for beverages were water or milk.

The canned spaghetti was not the worst part, however. They had a very large, like over 100 lb, very hairy dog. My SIL tried to keep the house clean, but this dog shed like nothing I've ever seen. The dog would stand in the kitchen and shake, and a cloud of hair would fly up. All of the silverware, dishes and table, not to mention the food, were covered in dog hair. My kids, and my husband all looked like they were going to throw up. We tried to be polite, and eat it, but when I got a dog hair hung in my throat, I had to stop. My gag reflex was really kicking in, and it was all I could do to sit there and pretend this was the most delicious spaghetti I'd ever eaten.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
I would imagine bull calf testicles taste like a**!
Actually, they taste pretty much like chicken livers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink