Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should restaurants "ban" persons from too many visits and too many "plates"/per
Yes, ban the over eaters? 3 14.29%
Limit persons to how many "plates" per visit? 2 9.52%
charge extra after "X" number of plates? 16 76.19%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:00 PM

102,240 posts, read 108,130,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Just saw a news thread that 2 "eaters" in England went to a restaurant that offers all-you-can-eat Mongolian Barbecue for just £12 (or about $19).
They eat about 5 "plates" each time and the owner said he had enough (GUESS THE EATERS DID TOO), AND BANNED THEM FROM FUTURE VISITS

So, what do you think: Should a restaurant "ban" persons?

Me, I know I can only eat so much and repeat visits are very rare for me.

In LV and Reno and other areas some of the "buffets" are quite expensive and the cost
does cover their "plate costs" well.

Know I am hungry for a good place to go to.

HW
No, they shouldn't institute limits. They should not advertise as "all you can eat" restaurants. They could advertise as "free refill" or "free second helpings" restaurants, or something. Advertising as "all you can eat", but putting limits on it when the customer gets in the door is false advertising. It might even be illegal. "Bait and switch" tactics in advertising/sales are illegal in the US.

Your poll is short one option: "No, they shouldn't limit helpings". The "all you can eat" places make their money on the fact that women eat a lot less than men. Also, these restaurants carefully calculate the cost of the ingredients they use in the serve-yourself buffet dishes, and use cheaper ingredients (chicken, instead of beef, in some of them, more vegetarian dishes, etc.). They know men will eat more. They know how to do the math, that's their job. When the math starts to not work out, they'll either dilute the dishes served, or they'll discontinue the all-you-can-eat feature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 04:35 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,458,791 times
As a long time member of the Canadian Forces, I will point out that our standard mess hall policy was and still is..............Take as much food as you like. BUT EAT ALL OF IT. The duty Sgt checks the trays, before they go into the gash bucket, and monitors the amount that is NOT eaten. Repeat offenders will get an "attitude adjustment ".

Same thing for buffet places, wasting food results in a extra charge..... Think it would work ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:43 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,111,034 times
I think they should weigh people at the door and charge them by the pound according before they eat.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,908,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
As a long time member of the Canadian Forces, I will point out that our standard mess hall policy was and still is..............Take as much food as you like. BUT EAT ALL OF IT. The duty Sgt checks the trays, before they go into the gash bucket, and monitors the amount that is NOT eaten. Repeat offenders will get an "attitude adjustment ".

Same thing for buffet places, wasting food results in a extra charge..... Think it would work ?

Jim B

Toronto.
I've been to a Chinese buffet that did that. Some of their seafod was spoiled and we could tell after a bite and then we had to argue with the owner because he wanted to charge us $5 extra each for wasting food.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,074,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Jim B

Toronto.
I think it's a GREAT idea!

Actually, a sushi place near us just started an "all you can eat" thing. But there are rules. Yes, rules. Among them:

- You can order as much as you like, but you can't place your next order until you've finished eating the current order.
- Any sushi, maki, appetizer, dessert, whatever that's left on your plate, you are charged menu price for.

It definitely curbs my gluttonous tendencies.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:16 PM

50,402 posts, read 64,119,967 times
I don't ever get my money's worth out of a buffet. When I went with a bunch of high school boys, they did get their money's worth. It should all average out, and if a buffet is advertised as all you can eat then they should not bar anyone.
This being said, I have seen some big old fat gluttons who park themselves in front of the crab legs, or shrimp and proceed to bogart all of it, so nobody else gets any.
These people are rude gluttons, and should be banned. They are social pariahs with no couth whatsoever.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,162,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't ever get my money's worth out of a buffet.
I totally agree with you here. I never get my money's worth either because I simply can't eat enough. I've learned to take a tiny portion of something I might like, and if I really like it, I'll save room for a second portion. I also learned to skip the salad bar as I can eat salad anytime. But yeah...every time I go to a buffet which isn't that often, I usually leave feeling robbed. lol

Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,162,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I think it's a GREAT idea!

Actually, a sushi place near us just started an "all you can eat" thing. But there are rules. Yes, rules. Among them:

- You can order as much as you like, but you can't place your next order until you've finished eating the current order.
- Any sushi, maki, appetizer, dessert, whatever that's left on your plate, you are charged menu price for.

It definitely curbs my gluttonous tendencies.
We have a DELICOUS all you can eat sushi place nearby also that charges $24.95 for any menu item off their all you can eat menu made to order. They also have rules such as what you stated above. I agree, I like their rules, it keeps me from ordering too much and wasting (I hate wasting food!!) and it turns out to be very reasonable. I do feel at this place that I DO get my money's worth, as the special rolls I tend to love are pretty pricey to begin with, so for a flat rate I can enjoy at least 3-4 different ones (shared of course with my guest

See, I think they do it right - they say "all you can eat" but with limitations, they are up front on it..I dont know..somehow it works. I guess it might be different in a big buffet like the place this restaurant in the article is.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,976,491 times
All you can eat, means just that. Owners know there are people that will eat enough to get more than their moneys worth going in to it. Can I demand a partial refund because I only had a muffin and some scrambled eggs at the all you can eat brunch for 35 bucks? Nope, I can't. If owners don't want to offer all you can eat, they can offer a la carte menus, but clearly they've found advantages to buffets (like less staff, etc.) It's not the patrons that are being greedy, it's the owners.

Of course, if these patron were pushing people or otherwise rude, than by all means ban them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I think they should weigh people at the door and charge them by the pound according before they eat.
Ha! They totally used to do this for kids at the Ground Round when I was little. Kid's paid their weight with a zero added, so a 54 pound kid would be $5.40. My parents and my friend's parents used to take us because we were all a bunch of string beans with healthy appetites.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
"All you can eat" is a nice idea but as we can see there are always people who will take advantage to the point of being obnoxious about it. It's mental I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink