Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:02 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times

Advertisements

I have approximately 30 quarts of water from simmering 15 chicken carcasses. I've removed the meat and now I'm looking at what seems like an awful lot of soup stock. I used just enough water to cover the carcasses. Roughly how much do you reduce the stock to give it good flavor? I'll be pressure canning the stock and don't mind reducing drastically to save myself some work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
I did some reading and it looks like you will be simmer'n for a while. That large of quantity, and I have never done this, tells me that you may want to simmer for about 6hrs.

If I were you, I'd simmer till you have the amount that you want to can. Taste test every hr or so to see what you'll have. You may even need to add more veggies(celery, onions, carrots, parsley) to get the taste you want.

Remember that this stock, no matter how long you do it, will be MUCH better than any store bought.

I need to try this for the winter. I've never made a stock, and I'd love to make a chicken, beef, and seafood stock for this winters soups. WOW that would add so much flavor..........especially smoked!

Great idea, although large, but great idea to add that special homemade kick to soups!

You've got me excited, as I'm sure many others. If I can I'd like to make a beef, chicken, seafood, and veggie stock............and pray for a cold wet/snowy winter! (we could use one)

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
Wow, what the heck are you cooking in it in???

I'm not sure how to answer; I've only been making stock very recently and the limiting factor for me always seems to be time. I don't think there'd be any harm at all in taking it down by half or more, but I'm happy if I'm able to give it 4 or 5 hour's time.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:46 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
I am so jealous. I used to have a 20 gallon stock pot. I would fill that sucker up with chicken soup then freeze it. When we lived in Ca. I ended up getting rid of it because every stupid apt. we lived in had the microwave installed over the stove and it wouldn't fit. Now I am kicking myself for getting rid of it.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I did some reading and it looks like you will be simmer'n for a while. That large of quantity, and I have never done this, tells me that you may want to simmer for about 6hrs.
I'm winging it. (get it? chicken...winging it? ) I simmered it down to "ok" and have the first eight jars in the pressure cooker. I can doctor that up when I open the jars. The rest is still reducing on the stove. It does look like around six hours is what's it going to take to get really good tasting stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Wow, what the heck are you cooking in it in???

I'm not sure how to answer; I've only been making stock very recently and the limiting factor for me always seems to be time. I don't think there'd be any harm at all in taking it down by half or more, but I'm happy if I'm able to give it 4 or 5 hour's time.
21 quart canners. It is time consuming. I can't leave the house with the pressure canner going so I've made bread and a pumpkin pie. Before I leave later on this afternoon I'll make a large pot of soup for a late supper when we get home. I wondered if by half was standard. I don't usually make this much at once but after cutting up some of the chickens we butchered Saturday, here it is.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
Look at it this way, the more concentrated.....the better the taste, IMHO. Try something different towards the end......maybe add garlic, green peppers, jalapenos, rosemary, thyme, mushrooms, a red rose.......... heck I don't know just some ideas. I'm not a cook, but I play one on the internet.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:59 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,858 times
Maine Writer, if you get tired of canning and have a freezer, freezing in large ziplocks works well. If you freeze them somewhat flattened, you can always break off chunks as you need them .. or measure in cups beforehand and write the measure on the bag.

I agree. The more concentrated, the better. So reduce to what you think tastes good.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 AM

We have three freezers. I need to leave room for a deer but think I can fit a few quarts of stock. The last of the jars just came out of the canner and there's a pot of soup in the fridge. By the time I was done the stock was down by half and it's very good. I hope it tastes as good coming out of jars this winter.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:07 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
We always have a few pint and quart sized ziplock bags full of home-made stock in the deep freeze, and they are a godsend when you need to make a gravy or add some flavor to a soup but don't have an extra 3 or 4 hours to cook down stock. Be sure to get the heavier-weight freezer bags that have a double seal on them; believe me, you do NOT want to open that freezer this weekend to discover that the el-cheapo bags you bought leaked and that that heavenly stock is now congealed into a single massive ice cube of stock at the bottom of the freezer.... And yes, I do speak from experience!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:58 PM

I swear by Reynolds Handi Vac bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink