Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times

Advertisements

I also feel like refrigerated premade pie crust (not frozen...but refrigerated) is so marginally different from homemade that most people will never know the difference once it's baked. I've done side-by-side pies made in the same session where I had a couple of refrigerated pie crusts, but had enough filling for more pies, so had to make a crust or two from scratch, and side by side, they've been virtually indistinguishable. So if time is a constraint, I have no problem going the premade route. I don't find that the quality is there with frozen pie shells, but premade refrigerated Pillsbury is enough like the handmade deal that it really doesn't matter to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I disagree about pre made. To me, there is not enough, so it's too skimpy. It is also like cardboard, which is not what my home made is like.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:31 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,409,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have a marble rolling pin too...not sure what difference that makes. And yes...I can beat 15 minutes. Pull it out of the fridge in 5 seconds. Done.
For me it is cleanup! It is easy to get dough off of the marble.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
I consider myself a good cook and baker but I don't use a rolling pin for anything. Pies crusts and cut-out cookies are definitely not for me.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I would rather go without than eat the pre made stuff, it is like card board, and tastes like chemicals to me,

Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Whether I try the recipe that calls for shortening/butter, or the recipe that uses oil, either way when I roll out the pastry I never have enough for a 9" pie plate. And I roll it until it's very thin, so it's not as though I'm leaving it too thick.

I follow the recipes exactly. And now am wondering if I should just increase the ingredients.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I watch the YouTube videos showing how to make pie crusts, and they use the same amount of ingredients as I do, but their crust is always large enough. Frustrating!

Old 11-18-2013, 01:08 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Whether I try the recipe that calls for shortening/butter, or the recipe that uses oil, either way when I roll out the pastry I never have enough for a 9" pie plate. And I roll it until it's very thin, so it's not as though I'm leaving it too thick.

I follow the recipes exactly. And now am wondering if I should just increase the ingredients.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I watch the YouTube videos showing how to make pie crusts, and they use the same amount of ingredients as I do, but their crust is always large enough. Frustrating!
Are you letting the dough rest to come to room temperature after taking it out of the fridge? It will be easier to roll when not cold. Many times folks just forget about letting the dough rest.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Are you letting the dough rest to come to room temperature after taking it out of the fridge? It will be easier to roll when not cold. Many times folks just forget about letting the dough rest.
That's a great question! With the 'oil' pastry, they say it doesn't have to be in the fridge; but, when I used butter or shortening, No, I did not leave it in the fridge. I just mixed up the ingredients and started to roll it out.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:31 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Quote:
That's a great question! With the 'oil' pastry, they say it doesn't have to be in the fridge; but, when I used butter or shortening, No, I did not leave it in the fridge. I just mixed up the ingredients and started to roll it out.
Need to wrap it in plastic wrap let it rest no matter which you use, then be sure to roll, then turn 1/4 turn roll turn 1/4 turn keeping repeating until it is size of pan.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Definitely chill the dough. I just made 2 pecan pies this weekend, one with Pillsbury dairy-case crust, and one with this crust. Usually, IF I make the crust, I just make a shortening crust. And it is always great. But, I decided to try a different recipe.

Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry Crust Recipe - Food.com - 66929

Both pies were delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink