Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,768 times

Advertisements

I just bought a baking stone after reading a new cookbook that recommends its use when making cakes and cookies (both in pans.. but putting the pans on the baking stone).

The theory is that because the stone retains heat, it stabilizes the heat surrounding the baking goods more than if the pans were just sitting on the oven racks, and therefore the item bakes more evenly.

My question is this: I always thought that an important part of baking was to have the oven heat circulating freely around the top, bottom, and sides of the pan(s). Since putting a pan on a baking stone stops that circulation of heat somewhat (as it's a solid surface), wouldn't it make the item bake slower rather than faster? Or am I misinterpreting the entire effect of a baking stone?

My second question concerns "seasoning" if/when I decide to try baking directly on it (bread or cookies). The instructions that came with the baking stone I bought, say to season it with "either grease or corn meal". I definitely don't want to use grease; what else, if anything, could I use? Could I use canola oil?

I also don't quite understand how corn meal could season a baking stone. After all, it's dry, so it would not soak in! Makes no sense to me.

Seasoning suggestions please?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 01:24 PM

41,950 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I've never heard of putting a pan on top of the stone. ??? I guess it would be like a brick oven? I've always put the food directly in/on the stone.

"Grease" means any kind of oil. Canola oil would work, or a spray coating like Pam. The first few times you use it, coat the cooking surface with oil and rub it off; you can heat it to further season it, but that's optional. Corn meal acts like oil in that it keeps the food from sticking.

It's best, when using a stone for the first couple of times, to bake something that has a lot of fat in it.

Don't put a cold stone in a warm oven. Put the stone in the oven and then turn on the oven.

And never ever clean it with soap! Let it cool until it's warm before cleaning it; use hot water and a plastic scraper.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times
It does great pizza, too. And rolls. I use mine all the time, even for reheating pizza. Ohiogirl's right. Heat the oven with the stone in it. Otherwise, the stone is cold and your goodies end up soggy. Ick.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,562 times
I didn't go to the expense of using a baking stone, instead I use quaryy tiles to accomplish the same thing. Typically I leave them in the oven all the time, so even when I am using pans and other cooking vessels the tiles are in there. I leave the tiles in place rather than try to figure out a place to store them when the oven is not in use...I'm lazy that way.

The tiles keep the oven temperature stable and actually regulate and distribute the heat evenly to the pans that might be atop them. Since the heat generated by the bottom element or heat source passes THROUGH the tiles first, you don't actually have direct "harshness" of the cycling heat applied to the underside of the pans. The tiles do not seem to impede air flow around the sides of the oven (and therefore the sides and top of the pan).

I do cook many breads directly on the tiles. Mine were greases with some regular cooking oil. Corn meal is used when baking some breads, but I don't find it necessary for the most part since I have not had breads to stick.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,246 times
A hint...

My daughter got upset and threw her stone out after it was about 18 months old because it was all discolored and yucky to the touch...

I told her all you have to do is put it in your oven (mine never comes out unless I'm broiling) during an automatic cleaning cycle. Thing comes out as good as brand new!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
I love my baking stones. Except for brownies. The first use I bake something fatty....like pillsbury crescent rolls or cookies. It doesn't take long for them to "season".

That yucky feel and discoloration means they are becoming non-stick!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 AM

41,950 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
My daughter got upset and threw her stone out after it was about 18 months old because it was all discolored and yucky to the touch...
The stone is supposed to become discolored; that means the oils from the food have penetrated the stone, and have made the stone a permanent non-stick surface. If the "yucky" feel was oily, that's the way it's supposed to feel. If it was something else, she didn't scrape it well enough.

Don't ever put a baking stone in the oven cleaning cycle. The stone can crack.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:17 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The stone is supposed to become discolored; that means the oils from the food have penetrated the stone, and have made the stone a permanent non-stick surface. If the "yucky" feel was oily, that's the way it's supposed to feel. If it was something else, she didn't scrape it well enough.

Don't ever put a baking stone in the oven cleaning cycle. The stone can crack.
Sorry, I totally disagree with you. If you leave the stone in there while it goes through the entire cleaning and cooling process, no cracking occurs. I've done this about 2x a year for the last 5 years. The cracking will only occur because of rapid temp. changes. There really isn't a reason to leave it all greasy and 'seasoned' beyond a 'certain' point. It just becomes nasty to the touch, grimey, and deserving of a good simple cleaning! No muss, no fuss!

I live alone and between cooking for myself and company, my stone gets used about 4x a week. I like it when it has been seasoned, but when it gets all greasy and slick on top, not so much. There comes a point when it just needs to be cleaned imo. Wiping just doesn't do it anymore.

Beyond that, I also can buy the stones at Ocean State Job Lot for under $10, so cracking wouldn't be the end of the world... but it's never happened.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
A hint...

I told her all you have to do is put it in your oven (mine never comes out unless I'm broiling) during an automatic cleaning cycle. Thing comes out as good as brand new!
Why do you have to remove it when you're broiling? It's too hot for it even all the way at the bottom of the oven? or do you have the stone on one of the racks?

I don't have one, but I've considered getting one before.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
I didn't go to the expense of using a baking stone, instead I use quaryy tiles to accomplish the same thing. Typically I leave them in the oven all the time, so even when I am using pans and other cooking vessels the tiles are in there. I leave the tiles in place rather than try to figure out a place to store them when the oven is not in use...I'm lazy that way.

The tiles keep the oven temperature stable and actually regulate and distribute the heat evenly to the pans that might be atop them. Since the heat generated by the bottom element or heat source passes THROUGH the tiles first, you don't actually have direct "harshness" of the cycling heat applied to the underside of the pans. The tiles do not seem to impede air flow around the sides of the oven (and therefore the sides and top of the pan).

I do cook many breads directly on the tiles. Mine were greases with some regular cooking oil. Corn meal is used when baking some breads, but I don't find it necessary for the most part since I have not had breads to stick.
Exactly the same here. Got 2 boxes of unglazed quarry tile from Lowe's; they were really cheap - $4 a box maybe? 6 of them fit perfectly 2 deep and 3 wide. I put them on a rack in the lowest position and keep them there all the time.

Act like a thermal capacitor; level out any spikes. Plus it's a porous material that wicks moisture away which really crisps breads up. I do bagels, pizza and bread right on the tile. Never seasoned them at all; they aren't cast iron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink