Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:38 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times

Advertisements

I'm in Michigan and a monster ice storm came through last Saturday. My power was out from Saturday night until late Wednesday (Christmas day) night. Four long cold days and five nights! The lows were in the single digits. I took my dogs and my house plants to a friend's house when the cold got too much. Almost everyone I know had lost power, but several area McDonald's stayed open on Christmas day. They were packed with people charging devices and eating.

My Christmas dinner was a chicken sandwich and a mango-pineapple smoothie. Followed by spiced rum back at my friend's house.

I hope everyone else had a somewhat better Christmas!

Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
i lost power for a few days too ,,,xmas day...quite the major ice storm,,

we cooked on the woodstove

the mcdonalds nearby was closed around here

Old 12-26-2013, 04:39 PM

My friends who were going to host Christmas had the grandkids, but took them back home on Christmas eve because of the power outage. They decided it was too cold out to try cooking Christmas dinner on the outdoor grill. We all met up at McDonalds to eat, because it was the only warm place serving food open. Not one of my better Christmas dinners, for sure!

Old 12-26-2013, 04:41 PM

537 posts, read 740,403 times
Could've worse, but I think I would have taken a nuked burrito.

I was so shot from building kiddie toys all day long that we didn't make anything. We snacked on leftover pizza and homemade red chili tamales while watching America's Funniest Videos and the kids were in heaven playing with their toys.

Hope your holiday shapes up.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
May not have been a tasty one ... but it'll no doubt be one of the more memorable ones!

Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 PM

It was definitely memorable!

Canyon Cat - a nuked burrito would have required electricity. LOL.

Kind of neat how friends and neighbors all rally around in hardship, though. That part was sort of Christmassy.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:12 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
My friends who were going to host Christmas had the grandkids, but took them back home on Christmas eve because of the power outage. They decided it was too cold out to try cooking Christmas dinner on the outdoor grill. We all met up at McDonalds to eat, because it was the only warm place serving food open. Not one of my better Christmas dinners, for sure!
maybe mcdonalds has missed an opportunity all these years,
the Mc PrimeRib The McHam and the McTurkey for holiday sandwiches , for whatever can go wrong on christmas day

Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
It was definitely memorable!

Canyon Cat - a nuked burrito would have required electricity. LOL.

Kind of neat how friends and neighbors all rally around in hardship, though. That part was sort of Christmassy.
I can't imagine... but you have a great memory and story to tell for the future!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-26-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can't imagine... but you have a great memory and story to tell for the future!
Really was! I went to other friends' house to take showers but couldn't have my dogs there. We were all shuttling around from one warm place to another. I have to say, thank God for McDonalds staying open on Christmas day. Otherwise it would have been PB & J sandwiches for Christmas dinner.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:21 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Really was! I went to other friends' house to take showers but couldn't have my dogs there. We were all shuttling around from one warm place to another. I have to say, thank God for McDonalds staying open on Christmas day. Otherwise it would have been PB & J sandwiches for Christmas dinner.
I had some awesome experiences pre-hurricanes where everyone pulled together (we never really got hit).

Reaffirmation of the human race occurs at the strangest times....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink