Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 03:48 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,171 times

Advertisements

Here is the dilemma:
It is my turn to bring in a baked snack to second graders. No problem.
One of those kids is on a gluten and red-dye free diet.

She has told my son that she is allergic to chocolate and cookies.

I stopped at the library and picked up a gluten free cookbook. Anthying that I make for this child will require me to hunt down and buy all kinds of different ingredients.

Is there anything that I can bring this kid for a snack? I was hoping that I could find something that I could bake so that she did not feel left out. I'm getting ready to toss that idea to the curb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 04:06 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,668 times
You can make peanut-butter cookies! Gluten Free Girl's gluten-free peanut butter cookies are the easiest, most delicious gluten-free baked good I've had in a while (minus the valencia orange muffins at starbucks). Gluten-Free Girl by Shauna James Ahern

Up the ante by mixing in carob chips!

I'm supposed to be gluten-free too, but I never listen to the doctors. Another good option is cheesecake with an almond crust. Then you get into nut allergies and the like...but you can't please everyone.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:18 PM

Oh, you rock!
Thanks

Old 09-03-2009, 04:30 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,651 times
The cookies look so good and easy too! There are lots of GF recipes on this site, but none are as easy as the cookies already posted.

I think it is so nice that you want to include this girl. My oldest has food allergies and I always bring something that he can have during parties at school and while I don't expect the other mothers to accomodate his issues, I think it is such a sweet gesture when one does.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:45 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,277 times
My son used to be autistic and we had him on the GF/CF diet for about a year. Finding foods he could eat was not an easy feat by any stretch! I used to make him four ingredient peanut butter cookies all the time. They are so good that I now make them regularly even though he is not on the diet anymore.

Another site I used to get ideas was www.kinnikinnick.com. You can buy snacks from them and not have to worry about any dyes or wheat or milk being in them.

There are also fruit snacks called Stretch Island that are organic and made from only fruit. I used to buy those for my son to share on snack day at school.

Four Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg

Mix together and form one inch balls. Place on cookie sheet and using a fork dipped in sugar, form crosscross patterns on the cookies. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:44 AM

Thank you.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:08 AM

58 posts, read 258,177 times
This is a little late on the post but in case any looks it up later- You could also do something like Annie's organic bunnies which are basically fruit chews that are organic so they do not have the food coloring. They are sold at Earthfare. They also have lollipops there that use natural food coloring instead of the dyes.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,389 times
I've seen Gen on Gen's Guiltless Gourmet making recipes including desserts without gluten or dyes-

Desserts - Gen's Guiltless Gourmet

Old 09-21-2009, 12:11 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowpumpkin View Post
This is a little late on the post but in case any looks it up later- You could also do something like Annie's organic bunnies which are basically fruit chews that are organic so they do not have the food coloring. They are sold at Earthfare. They also have lollipops there that use natural food coloring instead of the dyes.
Annie's is wonderful. I've had those fruit chews and they are great!

Paul Newman's brand has some delicious cookies and other snack-type stuff that are gluten free and sold all over the country.

Depending upon where you live, Trader Joe's has a ton of gluten free food and snacks. A ton! All very well marked. I've also noticed a number of national food-chain stores are putting 'gluten free' products on their shelves.

Severe gluten allergy can be life-threatening. I don't have any food allergies, but I feel for people who do. Especially the little ones. It's so important that they feel included in what everyone else is doing.

I'm glad that we know enough now about dietary requirements so everyone can eat healthy, even though it's not always easy to find the right stuff.

FYI, here's another site which carries gluten free baking ingredients.

Gluten Free - Bob's Red Mill

Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,439 times
Also late, but if anyone looks this up, macaroons are usually gluten free (sugar, egg-white, vanilla and coconut) and so are meringue cookies. And they're pretty without the dyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink