Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think most people here really eat true ethnic dishes. When you say American, Chinese, Indian for example.

What Indian or Chinese dish that is truly authentic these days?

Most chicken marsala are too water down.

Why is it called a a chinese eggroll in America? There's no eggs inside it.

So I highly doubt most folks here really could eat authentic ethnic cooking.
Well, I know enough about it to know that it's masala ... not marsala. And it's a spice mix, not a sauce. Unless you're talking about Italian cuisine. But because I selected Indian as one of my favorites, I'll tell you what I'd miss most. I love sambharo, naan is one of a very few kinds of "bread" I really like, I love curries of all sort, especially dal or saag.

I agree with you, though. Many people do think of American Chinese food, when they say Chinese. It's not one of my favorites, though. But please, you're upset, acting all superior because what something is called isn't what's in it? If that were the only instance, maybe you'd have an argument. But please, that's all too common, I'm sure in most every cuisine. Ever eaten a hot dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Mexican, Indian, and Chinese (real Chinese, not American takeout Chinese)

Tempting to sub in Thai for Chinese though.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Which three ethnic cuisines would you pick?

Indian.
And um...

You know, I don't eat it that often, but Indian food is the ONLY type of cuisine (if you can say that about something that is SO broad) that I would not be able to go my whole life without having again.

While I love thai and vietnamese and some greek and french food, etc, I could give it up.

I don't like mexican or italian and would not miss it at all. Could never eat carib or cajun either and would never notice.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:13 AM

61,727 posts, read 87,147,355 times
That's really a tough one - I love so many different foods. But let's settle on Mexican, Polish/Russian, and Middle Eastern.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:51 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Italian

Pennsylvania Dutch.

Toss up between Chinese and Mexican. The only Mexican food I'll really eat, though, is chili, which happens to be one of my favorites.
Since when is chili Mexican food?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:56 AM

Location: The Netherlands, Israel, Italy, Chicagoland, Alberta Canada
99 posts, read 163,088 times
Italian

Japanese

Ethiopian (If you never had it you MUST try it... delish!)

Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Mexican
Cajun
Chinese

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-18-2014, 03:12 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
I'm having trouble picking, because other than German and Chamorro, I've not had "authentic" versions of other cuisines. Just the "Americanized" versions. So based on that, and assuming I could hypothetically put aside gluten intolerance, I would go with

German
Chamorro
Americanized Italian (though it was a close race between that, Americanized Chinese, and Americanized Japanese).

Old 01-18-2014, 09:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm having trouble picking, because other than German and Chamorro, I've not had "authentic" versions of other cuisines. Just the "Americanized" versions. So based on that, and assuming I could hypothetically put aside gluten intolerance, I would go with

German
Chamorro
Americanized Italian (though it was a close race between that, Americanized Chinese, and Americanized Japanese).
I love it if you would post a thread with Chamorro recipes, never had it and that is very interesting to me. I wonder if the US military stationed there might have Americanized it as well. Therefor the request for authentic recipes.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:50 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Since when is chili Mexican food?

Technically, Texas used to be part of Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink