Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 04:31 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The image of the whole lamb on the spit might gross them out more than the smell. I love lamb but I'm such a hypocrite because seeing it as a whole baby critter makes me sad. Same with suckling pig.
remember the scene in my big fat greek wedding,,,where one set of parents brought over a bunt cake
and the other side of the family was roasting a lamb on a spit???

funny!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 04:34 PM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
I was vegan for years and lamb was the only meat I missed. I cant imagine the smell being offensive.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Lamb can smell strong, but I'd never be rude, as a guest.

My MIL makes a lamb tagine where the aromatic spices used cover up the gamey lamb smell.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
This thread is eye-opening to me, because outside from a gyro or two, I've never really eaten lamb. I've never been around people who've eaten lamb. It's not something that I've ever seen at a dinner party, or on many menus etc. I'm surprised that so many on this thread have it as a regular part of their diet. Personally, if I went to a large gathering and there was lamb, my objection would probably be less regarding the smell and more about if that was the only protein available.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-01-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 09-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This thread is eye-opening to me, because outside from a gyro or two, I've never really eaten lamb. I've never been around people who've eaten lamb. It's not something that I've ever seen at a dinner party, or on many menus etc. I'm surprised that so many on this thread have it as a regular part of their diet.

it is expensive and definitely a treat, not something I eat every week,,
but if I see a careless one in the road- yes, i'll take him out with the car, put it in the trunk for dinner..

Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Not a regular part, for sure...it's a specialty meat, here, and too costly for frequent consumption.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This thread is eye-opening to me, because outside from a gyro or two, I've never really eaten lamb. I've never been around people who've eaten lamb. It's not something that I've ever seen at a dinner party, or on many menus etc. I'm surprised that so many on this thread have it as a regular part of their diet. Personally, if I went to a large gathering and there was lamb, my objection would probably be less regarding the smell and more about if that was the only protein available.

It has been a common meat in all of the supermarkets in the cities I have lived in over the past 30 years - Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, and St. Louis, all cities with large immigrant populations.

It would not be an expensive meat without the US tariffs on Australian and New Zealand lamb.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,066 times
Lamb has a distinctive smell but love the meat and how we kick down the smell and adding more flavor is with garlic cloves crushed/chopped, Oregano, S/P marinated for a day or 2. This simple recipe takes away the heavy Lamb smell and blends
wonderfully.
Yeah gotta try it out as it comes from a Greek family tight with my family from the old country.

Simply delicious Lamb is, pricey for sure and would do as MBM does...take the fresh rode kill!! LOL

Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Not to worry, an invite for food trumps whatever smells come along with it. It's not my favorite thing ever, but there are worse things out there I still cook and eat.

I did have to make a rule in my house about cooking after midnight when I woke up once to the smell of some Indian food being reheated by my son. It doesn't usually offend me, but if something wakes me up it offends me!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:46 AM

if there was a car air freshener. in the shape of a lamb, id buy it, if it smelled like roasting lamb

or a chicken, that smelled like roast chicken .... or a prime rib, or bacon!!

or a chocolate chip cookie, that smelled like it, or a blueberry pie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink