Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 12:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
Seems to me the OP was talking about things a little more down-to-earth than a personal chef or a new kitchen by their choices, so in that vein, I might like some really nice linens (which I'd have to hide from the Mr. because he wipes up anything with my nice towels), and I've got my eye out for pretty ice cream sundae dishes. I got an ice cream maker for Christmas, so I'd like to try making some ice creams and sorbets. I already have a lot of nice kitchen stuff, like a KitchenAid stand mixer and a food processor, both of which I use regularly.
Yeah I wasn't thinking in lines of a whole new remodel or chef or house but it's fun to read what people think they need. I see a lot of us thought we couldn't live without something only to find out--yep--we could--especially if it wasn't handy.I gave my bread machine to my grown daughter and wish I hadn't. I don't know how much she uses it but I doubt it is very often.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:16 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,246 times
I'll join the crowd, a personal chef

If that isn't possible then I'd opt for:
- Convection oven
- New fridge with drawers - custom built to match my cabinets and new cabinets better designed to optimize space.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have a birthday coming up and as usual DH is leaving it up to me to get my own gift. That's fine with me. I've been keeping house 38+ years and have just about everything I want or need but this morning I placed an order with Chefs website.
1)I got a ricer for making smoother mashed potatoes. I've lived this long without it but seems like it will come in handy for fruit sauces, etc. it has 3 different blades
2)I also got some crocks for French onion soup
3)Another set of soup bowls- we eat a lot of soup in the winter
4)some fresh new white waffle kitchen towels
5) set of three colanders

the total was $149 with tax and free shipping

I don't have any cast iron items but at this point not sure I could even pick them up. Same for those fancy super expensive cookers baked in enamel.

So what would you order if you had carte blanch gift money?
I would remodel my kitchen to include a huge marble topped island! I have everything else I could need/want, but I like to bake & have no place to do it now.

I guess I just took it like ten notches up! LOL

Old 09-06-2014, 02:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
My first thought was nothing. I'm constantly weeding my kitchen of extraneous items as it is, BUT maybe a new fridge. The current one has drawers that will not stayed closed. So, I guess I'll go with a new counter-depth fridge.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:02 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,731,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion Fruit View Post
A VitaMix.
I have one, great piece of gear, there really are no limits other than juicing.

If money were no factor I would take a trip half way around the world in search for Tibetan Honey (I love honey ).

Old 09-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I have one, great piece of gear, there really are no limits other than juicing.

If money were no factor I would take a trip half way around the world in search for Tibetan Honey (I love honey ).
I hear all the time about the wonders of the VitaMix, but I can't see it being all that useful for my style of cooking. Perhaps if you shared how you use it in your kitchen?

Old 09-06-2014, 03:11 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I hear all the time about the wonders of the VitaMix, but I can't see it being all that useful for my style of cooking. Perhaps if you shared how you use it in your kitchen?
I use it to prepare nut butters, smoothies, soups (not often), sauces (pesto for pesto chicken ), shred cheese and coconuts, salad dressings, puree fruit, if you like to make things from scratch this is a great tool.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I use it to prepare nut butters, smoothies, soups (not often), sauces (pesto for pesto chicken ), shred cheese and coconuts, salad dressings, puree fruit, if you like to make things from scratch this is a great tool.
Hmm. I use other tools for most of those things, but I'm intrigued. My favorite tool is a KitchenAid immersion blender. We are huge soup and smoothie lovers, so it gets used multiple times per week.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:22 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Hmm. I use other tools for most of those things, but I'm intrigued. My favorite tool is a KitchenAid immersion blender. We are huge soup and smoothie lovers, so it gets used multiple times per week.
The reason the Vitamix is so great is due to the speed settings, and it's ability to go to 10,000 RPM. It is essentially an industry leading blender, used by Starbucks and Dairy Queen.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:25 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I would remodel my kitchen to include a huge marble topped island! I have everything else I could need/want, but I like to bake & have no place to do it now.

I guess I just took it like ten notches up! LOL
Oh, wait, me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink