Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 01:22 PM

293 posts, read 309,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I have lived many years in one of the largest amish communities in the world, in addition to my experience living in the ghetto of a large industrial city. My next door neighbors were and old order amish family with 15 children, several adults and 6 grandchildren. How can the amish with no jobs and extreme numbers of mouths to feed and clothe manage to do it 100% across the board? They saved a seed, put it in the ground and cared for it!

Guess what the impoverished amish do? (The amish do not consider themselves impoverished despite having no jobs and no money) They put seeds in the ground and grew their own nutritious food. Being rural does not give someone a free pass.

WVa is filled with run down shacks sitting on 10 acres of land and you wont find one single veggie seed in the grounds, but a torn up couch on the front porch with 300 lbs food stamp recipients sitting on it. This is not a stereotype, it is a real everyday sight in that state.

Elderly and handicapped people are a whole 'nother story, and there are govt programs set up to serve these people who have a real excuse.
That person (Tabula Rasa) isn't going to accept any answer other than "give more money to poor people." You're really wasting your breath with him/her. It'll be "grow food?? What am I, a landowner like some rich corporation??"

Old 09-15-2014, 01:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Take a look at the price of 10 lbs of potatoes, then compare to a bag of chips per lb.

Compare a 5 lb bag of carrots to a single 9 oz tv dinner, per lb

Compare a 10 lb sack of brown rice to a 12 oz box of generic riceroni or mac n cheese.

Compare a head of cabbage or 5 lbs of onions to anything...

Compare 5lbs of cheap hamburger to a single box of hotpockets with beef.

Compare 2 gallons of fresh water or homemade tea compared to 2 gallons of pop or kool aide.

Do people realize the massive amounts of meals that can be made from the above mentioned nutritious whole foods?

The whole, I cant afford to eat healthy is nothing more than a blame game, and playing the victim card. We all have eyes and can plainly see what people choose to put in their carts, and that's what it boils down to, personal choice and responsibility.

PS: I lived in the north side ghetto of Pittsburgh in college and walked to the neighborhood grocery store along with every other person who also had access to the same store. The only difference was that I paid in cash, and they paid in food stamps, traded/sold stolen goods and food stamps outside the door. I don't buy the whole lack of access to food excuse; there was plenty access in my old ghetto. If I didn't feel like walking, I could pay .50 cents and take the bus.

I notice that most people who make assumptions about the poor neighborhoods have never actually lived in one, but repeat talking points that they have heard over and over.

Ask yourself this: Have I ever lived in an impoverished neighborhood or ghetto, or and I just making assumptions based on what I have heard?
I don't live in a poor neighborhood, I live in a fairly wealthy one. But even so, I am aware of how food prices have skyrocketed in the past few years.

5 lbs of cheap hamburger, which is not good for anybody, is $2.99 lb here, or $15.00. Yes, you can stretch it to several meals, but it doesn't equal healthy eating by any means. I go to Costco to get packs of 88% lean ground beef at $3.49 lb, but I have to pay for membership to get those prices.

Cabbage is a deal all year long. But, it isn't a meal. Potatoes? Yesterday they were $4.99 for a 5lb bag for russet. Red potatoes or Yukon Gold were $7.99 for the same weight.

I can fully understand how people without the means to fill a grocery cart with whatever they want will think twice before buying fresh. And, forget fish, or any beef that isn't ground.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't live in a poor neighborhood, I live in a fairly wealthy one. But even so, I am aware of how food prices have skyrocketed in the past few years.

5 lbs of cheap hamburger, which is not good for anybody, is $2.99 lb here, or $15.00. Yes, you can stretch it to several meals, but it doesn't equal healthy eating by any means. I go to Costco to get packs of 88% lean ground beef at $3.49 lb, but I have to pay for membership to get those prices.

Cabbage is a deal all year long. But, it isn't a meal. Potatoes? Yesterday they were $4.99 for a 5lb bag for russet. Red potatoes or Yukon Gold were $7.99 for the same weight.

I can fully understand how people without the means to fill a grocery cart with whatever they want will think twice before buying fresh. And, forget fish, or any beef that isn't ground.
You gotta love all these elitists -- the ones who ooze caring for the poor people -- who say that ground beef "is not good for anybody." It's like you need to be on their gluten-free, soy-based organic diets or else you're doing it wrong. Cabbage is bad? OK, Marie Antoinette. These people are like the French going "I don't believe in eating turnips, that's food for pigs!" You can't afford to buy potatoes? That's hilarious.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
That person (Tabula Rasa) isn't going to accept any answer other than "give more money to poor people." You're really wasting your breath with him/her. It'll be "grow food?? What am I, a landowner like some rich corporation??"
Hah! Please find, and quote, where I have ever posted, "Give more money to poor people." I'll be waiting. Also, anywhere I have ever discounted the concept of growing one's own food.

Signed,

Raised in a Farming Community, By Farmers

Old 09-15-2014, 01:33 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

The point is to buy a variety of whole foods and rotate ingredients. No one is saying to eat nothing but beef or cabbage everyday.

In the end it is still a fact that buying whole foods is almost always cheaper than processed.

10 lbs of potatoes is about 3.99 at my store. I have seen them on sale as low as a shocking .99 cents in discounts stores. People on food stamps should probably not be shopping at Whole Foods.

Last edited by L0ve; 09-15-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
No one is saying to eat nothing but beef or cabbage everyday.
But you could. That's not a joke. And you wouldn't be this deformed monster. You could eat eggs, beef, cabbage, and carrots, for example -- and nothing else -- and be pretty good.

It's incredible how people in our society act like it's unreasonable or something to eat basic food staples that have been eaten by humans for millennia. It's like it's illegal to eat cabbage because that's food for commoners. You have to eat arugula or alfalfa sprouts and rotate that with kale and it all has to be organic and hand washed. You can't eat ground beef, you have to eat wild (not farm grown, ewwww) salmon.

LMAO

Old 09-15-2014, 01:41 PM

Oh, wait, my favorite food that poor people aren't allowed to eat: white bread. *gasp!!* You monster!! Try my nine-grain, rolled wheat, preservative free, stone ground Asiago roll.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
Recognizing that this isn't a political forum and I'm not trying to convert this into a political thread...
Oh...*whew*.

Quote:
Well, tell your husband I salute him. There was a time when people took pride in not being on handouts and he sounds like a throwback to that era. I've also been unemployed and just lived off my savings.
Quote:
Here's something else that's real:

That for thousands of years mankind was able to figure out how to obtain food and then since 1990 a large population of people somehow became completely helpless and unable to feed, clothe, or even bathe themselves without the aid of society. The end.
Quote:
Ah, I see. So your entire argument is "unless you can figure out how someone can eat a gourmet meal three times a day, I will just blindly reject all of your suggestions." I eat this stuff all the time and am quite healthy, yet somehow this food is "not good enough" for a poor person. They apparently deserve more than me, and I pay for my food. OK, you've totally convinced me. Now I'm going to turn into a food activist for poor people like you and demand they all be allowed to go to Whole Foods. LOL.
Quote:
You gotta love all these elitists -- the ones who ooze caring for the poor people -- who say that ground beef "is not good for anybody." It's like you need to be on their gluten-free, soy-based organic diets or else you're doing it wrong. Cabbage is bad? OK, Marie Antoinette. These people are like the French going "I don't believe in eating turnips, that's food for pigs!" You can't afford to buy potatoes? That's hilarious.
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, particularly when someone like you says people aren't allowed to eat pasta, eggs, or ground beef because it's not fair. LMAO. Liberals, am I right? They're great at identifying problems that aren't there and then demanding solutions that are retarded.

All this person has done so far is say "scrambled eggs? YOU THINK PEOPLE SHOULD EAT SCRAMBLED EGGS??" And I then I go "also ground beef .." "GROUND BEEF? THE UNHEALTHIEST OF MEATS??" And then I go "and pasta ..." "PASTA, THE KILLER OF MILLIONS AND THE SCOURGE OF THE MODERN WORLD??

And he/she will just keep doing this until I go "yeah, you're right, we need to give more money to feed these poor, helpless losers. I mean, people."
I applaud your vaunted attempt to keep your personal politics out of it!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:46 PM

I'd respond to you, but I just ate some pasta and it's slowly killing me, I think. YOU WERE RIGHT!! GAAAAAAAAKKK!!!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:49 PM

How're you coming along with all those, "Give more money to poor people" quotes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink