Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 09:44 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
It's a popular British raisin custard.....nothing odo about it. Spotted Dick Recipe | Epicurious.com

GENERAL COMMENT: I get the dislike of proceased foods an the wonder why people buy them....I do not get the instant dislike of items some have never even tasted simply because they are unfamiliar.
I've never tasted an escargo but it doesn't matter. I battle snails in my garden year round. I grew up in Oregon where the slugs are big enough to tow a small trailer. I stepped on one in my bare feet as a kid and it got squished between my toes. A sticky, scummy mess, it was pretty much the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me. They leave slimy trails across my sidewalk and chew my sunflowers down to the wick in one evening. I've poured salt on them and watched them foam. To say I'm disgusted by slugs and snails is an understatement. I don't care how they taste. Just an attempt to put one in my mouth would have me hurling in that fancy French restaurant.

Same goes for Rocky Mountain Oysters. Just knowing it's a testical is enough for me. Not everyone is capable of mind over matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Instant Jello and congealed salads.
I have a problem with gelled foods. The consistency really puts me off.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:21 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I've never tasted an escargo but it doesn't matter. I battle snails in my garden year round. I grew up in Oregon where the slugs are big enough to tow a small trailer. I stepped on one in my bare feet as a kid and it got squished between my toes. A sticky, scummy mess, it was pretty much the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me. They leave slimy trails across my sidewalk and chew my sunflowers down to the wick in one evening. I've poured salt on them and watched them foam. To say I'm disgusted by slugs and snails is an understatement. I don't care how they taste. Just an attempt to put one in my mouth would have me hurling in that fancy French restaurant.

Same goes for Rocky Mountain Oysters. Just knowing it's a testical is enough for me. Not everyone is capable of mind over matter.
Personal taste is one thing...we all have that.....as I said...I don't like liver mush...but I am not going to act like it's some superior trait on my part that I didn't grow up eating it and didn't develop a taste for it and basicly call people disgusting because they do like it.

The spotted dick is a case in point...it has a odd name...no one here wouled be wondering why someone buys a raisin pudding...but make it from another country with a odd to American ears name and it's fodder ridicule.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Quote:
Anything in a can?? Aww c'mon. What about a good serving of Spotted Dick?
Im not a food snob, fussy or easily queazy , but a food that has the words Dick & Sponge in the same description, im not sure if id dive into that

Old 01-18-2015, 11:36 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
all things in moderation, folks, right? A bit of processed food and/or fast food won't kill 'ya.

I LOVES me the OCCASIONAL liver and onions.

Braunschweiger--yes, on occasion.

There's really not much I won't eat, really. Though, the more that something is "disguised", the less I really want it. I'm not a big sweet potatoes eater. Every Thanksgiving, my wife liked to make baked sweet potatoes.

She would spread butter on the slices, then sprinkle on brown sugar, then place successive layers of the same on top and bake it. Seriously, I have an old pair of Nike's and if you cut them up and did the same--it would taste good!

Old 01-18-2015, 11:38 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I am not going to act like it's some superior trait on my part that I didn't grow up eating it and didn't develop a taste for it and basicly call people disgusting because they do like it.
Then we must be in agreement, because neither did I!

Old 01-18-2015, 11:56 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Then we must be in agreement, because neither did I!
I wasn't saying you did...it's why I did the disclaimer of 'general comment' because it was a separate issue from my reply to your comment.

Last edited by ScarletG; 01-18-2015 at 12:14 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 12:13 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Fluorescent orange cheese doodles, purple ketchup... the idea of these types of things are revolting. Why not just down a vial of food coloring while you're at it? You know, just to make sure you have the entire rainbow glowing in your ****in' belly.

Nonfat cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is actually the tears of cows for those who don't know real food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Stoppit...that can not be a real thing...

That pickled sour cream herring thing!!! What?

I could even imagine pigs knuckles, but that?
Is it cooked?
Is that salmon thing on bagels raw or cooked....loks, that's it!

Sorry....edit...lox
The lox and pickled herring are delicious IMO. Pig knuckles do sound gross...but I don't eat pork at all.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
... Not a kale fan either.
You beat me to it. This was my first thought. Yuck! Who promoted this bitter, horribly textured green matter to the point that people make smoothies with it???!!! I can hear the meeting now:

Farmer/Ag Business Exec: I can't believe this drought, the only thing that will grow on that million acres we now own is that vile green crap, kale. What are we gonna do, Bob?

Bob/Marketing Exec for the Farmer/Ag Business CEO: We'll spin it, of course! Surely, there have to be vitamins in the stuff, right? We'll hire some experts-for-hire, and get them to do a study that says this stuff is amazing for you. We'll start a new health craze!! Hell, by the time we get finished spending our advertising budget, we'll have people making milkshakes and crackers out of the stuff!

Ag Exec: I love it! Kind of like the gluten free thing. Hey, kale is also gluten free!!! We can make this work, Bob...

Old 01-18-2015, 01:53 PM

677 posts, read 672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You beat me to it. This was my first thought. Yuck! Who promoted this bitter, horribly textured green matter to the point that people make smoothies with it???!!! I can hear the meeting now:

Farmer/Ag Business Exec: I can't believe this drought, the only thing that will grow on that million acres we now own is that vile green crap, kale. What are we gonna do, Bob?

Bob/Marketing Exec for the Farmer/Ag Business CEO: We'll spin it, of course! Surely, there have to be vitamins in the stuff, right? We'll hire some experts-for-hire, and get them to do a study that says this stuff is amazing for you. We'll start a new health craze!! Hell, by the time we get finished spending our advertising budget, we'll have people making milkshakes and crackers out of the stuff!

Ag Exec: I love it! Kind of like the gluten free thing. Hey, kale is also gluten free!!! We can make this work, Bob...

Yeah, kale is hot right now, the miracle food, like pomegranate a few years back ...

Light beer
Cereal with marshmallows in it
Peanut butter and jelly in the same jar
Chicken feet (my g/f loves them)
The black-skinned chicken they sell for soup in Asian supermarkets
Pizza with cheese in the crust
Weird flavored sodas and ice creams. e.g - onion, celery, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink