Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:28 PM

64 posts, read 102,140 times

Advertisements

What the **** is going on with this ****?

I just learned that my trusty old Albertson's right down the street from me is now turning into yet ANOTHER freaking health food store. This makes FIVE IN ONE TOWN OF 56,000 PEOPLE. FIVE HEALTH FOOD STORES.

I'm not against people eating healthy. I *AM* however, against paying 5.69 for a loaf of bread or 7.29 for a block of cheese. Screw that.

If I was rich, I would probably buy groceries from these stores all the time, but I'm not. I need to buy regular "unhealthy" groceries because I don't have a lot of money. So **** the health food stores taking over and severely limiting the places us poor people can go to buy normal food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 05:34 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post

I just learned that my trusty old Albertson's right down the street from me is now turning into yet ANOTHER freaking health food store. This makes FIVE IN ONE TOWN OF 56,000 PEOPLE. FIVE HEALTH FOOD STORES.

I'm not against people eating healthy. I *AM* however, against paying 5.69 for a loaf of bread or 7.29 for a block of cheese. Screw that.

If I was rich, I would probably buy groceries from these stores all the time, but I'm not. I need to buy regular "unhealthy" groceries because I don't have a lot of money. So **** the health food stores taking over and severely limiting the places us poor people can go to buy normal food.
What do you consider a health food store?

Old 02-04-2015, 05:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
What do you consider a health food store?
I'm assuming Whole Foods, Fresh Market, etc..

Old 02-04-2015, 06:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Albertsons was a traditional supermarket, that's getting squeezed out of the market between Wal-Mart and whole foods

Albertsons like many traditional supemarkets, went for the value customers,,,,tried to keep prices low and work on high volume,,
averaging 25% gross margins for the store

whole foods and other health food stores can operate on 40-50% margins,,because the customers are willing to pay 5.69 for a loaf of bread

so Albertsons could sell 20 loaves and make .20 loaf and the health food store can sell 2 loaves and get the same profit

Albertsons and the other traditional supermarkets use to have the whole foods customers,,that would pay a little more for what they want - or higher quality,,

with those customers going to whole foods, trader joes, that leaves just the cherry pickers (value shoppers) at the supermarkets ..
lower and lower margins until they finally close

and that leaves wal mart we can say whatever we want about their stores ,,,but they sell more groceries in the u/s/ than anyone else
and because of his volume they offer the cheapest prices in the aisles,,,,the meat and produce sucks but ,,,the rest of the stuff is very cheap

also the health food Nazi's are scaring everyone into eating organic or you will die from the conventional stuff
its like gluten free,,,,celiacs need to eat gluten free,,,but there's been such hype about it being so healthy there are actually more people eating gluten free that aren't celiacs, than are - its the drumbeat of all that is "healthy"

half of it may be propaganda and b.s. but women seem to believe most of it ( I got 4 pink slime questions last week, and I never sold it- the health food Nazi's and media scared he masses into thinking pink slime was in ALL the burger ...everywhere

Old 02-04-2015, 06:14 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
We were just at Whole Foods (not by choice) and the two gallon water jugs were 6 dollars each.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:20 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post

Sounds like the kind of place a lot of ppl here would like to live.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
We were just at Whole Foods (not by choice) and the two gallon water jugs were 6 dollars each.
that's not just any water , that's organic , non gmo, hormone, steroid free, free range water

6.00 for 2 gallons??
a traditional supermarket often has these for 2 gallons for a dollar

price doesn't matter its "the cause"

Old 02-04-2015, 06:26 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
that's not just any water , that's organic , non gmo, hormone, steroid free, free range water

6.00 for 2 gallons??

price doesn't matter its "the cause"
The normal super market is just across the street. Two and some change for a two gallon jug. The street we would have to had cross is like a parking lot during rush hour, though.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:10 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

6.00 for 2 gallons??

price doesn't matter its "the cause
"
Lmfao....this cracks me up for some reason

Old 02-04-2015, 08:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Businesses either respond to demographic shifts, or they go belly up. Sounds like the OP is outnumbered. We've got an old, outdated grocery down the street that is poorly positioned to succeed in the market. They're down-market in what is now an up-market neighborhood, and the locals drive right on by in pursuit of a better shopping experience. The corporation refuses to put any money into the store, so it's circling the drain, which is sad to see, but if they had done their research and kept up, they probably would have retained their customer base.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-04-2015 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink