Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:16 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a Make and Take in their city? We have them here in the Minneapolis area and it's wonderful! I'll go to their website, pick out what food I want and then go in on a scheduled night, make the food, and take it home and put it in the freezer. The recipe is on each bag or tin that I put the food in so I know exactly what to do. They even include the side dishes. I've priced it out and it's pretty comparable to what I would spend if I went out and bought all the ingredients including the spices and sauces too.

Since the meals many times feed six people, I'll even split them so they make 2 to 3 meals. It's mostly for my wife and me since my kids are still fairly picky (the four year old mainly). The eight year old does enjoy these meals too. If you have one in your area you should really try it out! The convenience is amazing! And the food where I go is completely fresh and brought in the day before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 01:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
We have a gourmet one here, but I have never used it.
It's kinda pricey. For the right customer, I think it is a great idea.
It helps introduce new and different foods into your diet, plus somebody else's kitchen gets messed up.
Maybe I could talk my husband into it.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:08 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
"Make" and Take? Kinda gross name.

But we have similar businesses here and they are great.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
"Make" and Take? Kinda gross name.

But we have similar businesses here and they are great.
Is there another name for them? Make and Take is the only way I know how to describe it. You make the food there, and take it home to the freezer.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:56 PM

987 posts, read 3,819,345 times
So your just reheat like leftovers?

Old 11-25-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
So your just reheat like leftovers?
No the food is uncooked. It's just like being in your own kitchen. It's commercial kitchen, you have the recipes you are going to prep, you have all the spices, everything you need right in front of you. It's actually quite simple, and there are other people there making their food, so sometimes you engage in conversations.

Once the food is prepped you put it in their refrigerator 'til you've made all your meals. Then you take it home and freeze it. When you're ready to prepare it you pull it out, thaw it and cook it. No reheating...unless you don't finish what you eat, then leftovers the next day. It's a great concept and whlie some may say it's spendy, it depends on what you like to eat. I know that for my wife and I by the time 6 to 6:30 rolls around and we're just getting home from work and getting food for the kids, who can think about themselves? So we usually have a bowl of cereal or a PB&J. Yeah, good eh? So I'll pop one of these meals in the oven and it encourages my wife and I to sit down, have a nice meal and de-stress while the kids are reading or watching a TV show.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:03 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
No the food is uncooked. It's just like being in your own kitchen. It's commercial kitchen, you have the recipes you are going to prep, you have all the spices, everything you need right in front of you. It's actually quite simple, and there are other people there making their food, so sometimes you engage in conversations.

Once the food is prepped you put it in their refrigerator 'til you've made all your meals. Then you take it home and freeze it. When you're ready to prepare it you pull it out, thaw it and cook it. No reheating...unless you don't finish what you eat, then leftovers the next day. It's a great concept and whlie some may say it's spendy, it depends on what you like to eat. I know that for my wife and I by the time 6 to 6:30 rolls around and we're just getting home from work and getting food for the kids, who can think about themselves? So we usually have a bowl of cereal or a PB&J. Yeah, good eh? So I'll pop one of these meals in the oven and it encourages my wife and I to sit down, have a nice meal and de-stress while the kids are reading or watching a TV show.
Are there any kitchen monitors in this place? I mean is it someone there to coach, those who are just not fit for the kitchen?LOL .... Never heard of one of these,hmmm.... but it sounds like a great idea,especially for singles and diverse groups

Old 11-26-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Are there any kitchen monitors in this place? I mean is it someone there to coach, those who are just not fit for the kitchen?LOL .... Never heard of one of these,hmmm.... but it sounds like a great idea,especially for singles and diverse groups
Yeah, there are employees that answer questions and help you as needed. To get a better idea of what I'm talking about here is the place I go, Get Cookin' - Make and Take Meals (broken link) There are a few others here, but it's all the same concept. Really the main difference is menu. I will say there is another one here and their food is more gourmet where the one I go to is more family friendly. Plus the staff makes all the difference too!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
yeah, we have one near me: Simply Cook It - Home - it's a local, not chain, place. I've done it a few times, and we easily can get 2 nights worth of meals (4 of us - 2 kids), sometimes more, out of one "dish". When you break it down, the cost is pretty good too - $215 for 12 meals which gives us 96 meals (12*8 dinners). About $2.25 each.

I've had a few clunkers, but overall the food is good! You need to have the storage space though for all of them - we have an extra freezer in our basement. Otherwise we couldn't do it.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:55 PM

781 posts, read 3,817,033 times
Here's one that has a locations all over. I have often wanted to try it and see how it is but have not yet...:-(

Super Suppers (http://supersuppers.com/information.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink