Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:32 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,835,931 times

Advertisements

I am not a huge fan of most veggies by itself. I often have to put herbs or seasoning on them to make them tasty to me. Only "veggies" l like plain would probably be spinach, collard greens other leafy greens. Both raw or steamed/sauteed. I do serve a steamed veggie with most meals but will pick at it or just eat a little. Hubby on the other hand can have a plate of just steamed veggies and be happy.

Lately I have been more concerned with eating more veggies so I am starting to add carrots and celery to everything. I even added diced carrots to the taco meat this week and the fam loved it. So now I am on a kick where I buy a bunch of random veggies, dice them and throw them in various dishes. It's especially successful in my Korean or Japanese dishes. I have tried the celery root, rutabaga, jicama and others I can't think of the names now.

So do you like them by themselves or try to incorporate them in something? Anyone can recommend a site or book on what each veggie is good for? I want to learn more about them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
There aren't a lot of vegetables I don't love on their own.

I'm currently simmering a huge stock pot of vegetable scraps collected over the past month or so that we've kept in a freezer bag, and will then have a big pot of vegetarian "stock" for cooking. We'll be using this batch as a base to make a lentil stew for a community potluck, but also typically use the stock in making soups rice, couscous, etc. It's also very flavorful to add in when sauteeing dark greens, adds a more complex flavor.

We also just pick up whatever veggies grab our fancy and oven roast them, though, this is more often in cooler weather months than warmer. Roasted root vegetables are one of my favorite things. We did a roasted root vegetable side dish at Thanksgiving last year that was turnips, carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, celery root, and yuca. A drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper, any herbs you like and it's good to go. Beets are good, too, but I like to do them on their own so that everything isn't beet-colored.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There aren't a lot of vegetables I don't love on their own.

I'm currently simmering a huge stock pot of vegetable scraps collected over the past month or so that we've kept in a freezer bag, and will then have a big pot of vegetarian "stock" for cooking. We'll be using this batch as a base to make a lentil stew for a community potluck, but also typically use the stock in making soups rice, couscous, etc. It's also very flavorful to add in when sauteeing dark greens, adds a more complex flavor.

We also just pick up whatever veggies grab our fancy and oven roast them, though, this is more often in cooler weather months than warmer. Roasted root vegetables are one of my favorite things. We did a roasted root vegetable side dish at Thanksgiving last year that was turnips, carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, celery root, and yuca. A drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper, any herbs you like and it's good to go. Beets are good, too, but I like to do them on their own so that everything isn't beet-colored.
I have tried them in every way, steamed, roasted, sauteed etc and still need herbs or seasonings to me. I don't like to smother them with cheese or cream as then what's the point. I do the stock but with chicken and veggies. I have tried veggie stock and didn't care for it personally. I guess I am pickier than I thought. lol

Old 03-23-2015, 12:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,902,982 times
Most veggies do need a bit of seasoning. I use olive oil and salt on almost every veggie that I cook. For asparagus, I'll add a little bit of lemon juice. For eggplant, I brine it first and then marinate in olive oil and balsamic vinegar with some herbs added to it. Yellow squash tastes good cooked in the skillet in butter, then add some grape tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are just about to burst, then add basil and a bit of mozzarella. I like to roast cabbage, 375 degrees, brushed with oil and sprinkled with salt, usually takes about 25 minutes.

You can do a lot with cauliflower...use it to replace part of the pasta in mac and cheese or pasta salad, grind it and use it as rice.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:25 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,041,572 times
I'd like to congratulate the op for not mistaking fruits for vegetables.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,068,193 times
I like veggies on their own, but Jessica Seinfeld (wife of comedian Jerry) wrote a cookbook about ways to get veggies into her kids. Maybe it'll give you some ideas:

http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-De...ssica+seinfeld

Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,496,047 times
I grew up eating veggies and love them. I think if you find ways to cook veggies well on their own that your kids will like them when they grow up. I do not know this, I just believe it.

I usually add a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper to my veggies.

I prefer buying peeling and slicing my own carrot sticks. I think carrot sticks taste much better that way. I can eat the heck of of English peas, either raw or cooked. I shell them myself.

If you have access to a grill try grilling veggies. A little salt and pepper and you have some heaven.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:43 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I am not a huge fan of most veggies by itself. I often have to put herbs or seasoning on them to make them tasty to me. Only "veggies" l like plain would probably be spinach, collard greens other leafy greens. Both raw or steamed/sauteed. I do serve a steamed veggie with most meals but will pick at it or just eat a little. Hubby on the other hand can have a plate of just steamed veggies and be happy.

Lately I have been more concerned with eating more veggies so I am starting to add carrots and celery to everything. I even added diced carrots to the taco meat this week and the fam loved it. So now I am on a kick where I buy a bunch of random veggies, dice them and throw them in various dishes. It's especially successful in my Korean or Japanese dishes. I have tried the celery root, rutabaga, jicama and others I can't think of the names now.

So do you like them by themselves or try to incorporate them in something? Anyone can recommend a site or book on what each veggie is good for? I want to learn more about them as well.

We eat most vegetables alone or with other things.

What I do though is go to the produce section of the grocery and pick up whatever looks good.
Even if we don't "like" something cooked I will get it fresh and put it in a salad raw and I have introduced Mr. CSD to many unknown to him vegetables that way and he loves the salads I make.

Actually my neighbor will ask me to go to the grocery and get what I need to make a salad for her and her husband.
Nothing specific just how I make the salads I make and they are always happily surprised.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I grew up eating veggies and love them. I think if you find ways to cook veggies well on their own that your kids will like them when they grow up. I do not know this, I just believe it.

I usually add a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper to my veggies.

I prefer buying peeling and slicing my own carrot sticks. I think carrot sticks taste much better that way. I can eat the heck of of English peas, either raw or cooked. I shell them myself.

If you have access to a grill try grilling veggies. A little salt and pepper and you have some heaven.
That's just it, I did grow up on veggies. Just never cared for them. And I have had it prepared in every way. My kids thankfully take after their father and eat them with no issues. It's just me. For me, I think sticking it in various dishes will most likely be the only way I will eat them regularly.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I like veggies on their own, but Jessica Seinfeld (wife of comedian Jerry) wrote a cookbook about ways to get veggies into her kids. Maybe it'll give you some ideas:

Deceptively Delicious - Kindle edition by Jessica Seinfeld. Cookbooks, Food & Wine Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for...only I am the "kid". lol I also found this under the suggested books:

The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals: Missy Chase Lapine: 9780762430758: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink