Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better: Shake Shack vs In-N-Out vs Five Guys
Shake Shack 12 17.14%
In-N-Out 33 47.14%
Five Guys 25 35.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:41 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Same here.

I recently tried 5 Guys for the first time and was disappointed.

The price was huge, the fries tasted dry like they came from under a heat lamp. The burger was extremely bland with no seasoning - yuck.

Maybe I went on a bad day?

Its a shame cause everything looked fabulous, and I love the concept/presentation.

Should I try them a 2nd time?
I actually like 5 guys fries the best of the three. However, the burger is by far the worst. Its inconsistant, sometimes I will get a decent patty, while most its dry or boarderline. I think it has to do with the technique; if you watch 5 guys, they cook the patties for a few minutes, flip THEN smash it. By that time, the fat has liquified and is squeezed out. Whereas Shake Shack/Smashburger smash towards the beginning, where the fat is still solid and forms a nice brown crust before its flipped.

Dont know about in-n out, but their ingredients are the highest quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 07:43 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,423,370 times
I've never lived near a SS or I-N-O, but I'm a fan of Five Guys.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:34 AM

308 posts, read 499,512 times
Never had Shake shack, we don't have them here. I been to in-n-out, not a huge fan. But it's ok. Five guys is ok also. I prefer Smashburger, that place is great!!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalam321 View Post
Never had Shake shack, we don't have them here. I been to in-n-out, not a huge fan. But it's ok. Five guys is ok also. I prefer Smashburger, that place is great!!
Smashburger is over-rated. Their patties are not juicy at all. Dry because they smash it flat. Fries are boring.

Here is my ranking:

1. Bobby Flay's Burger Palace: Juicy, boutique quality burgers and creations. Beer Battered onion rings is the best. The best burger creations that works. I hope Bobby Flay expands his place because his burgers really embarrasses many high end restaurant burgers.

2. In-N-Out, The original truly American burger franchise. Juicy burgers, great fries. Always thought Johnny Rocket's tries to copy from them but failed because of price. It's the real 21st century Mcdonalds.

3. Shake Shack: The post modern burger place. Not the best but safest choice and lots of great ideas. The burgers are fine but not the best, fries are bit boring and plain, however dessert treats are where it shines. Like Starbucks not the best but most consistent and good customer service always.

4. Red Robbins: A bit more expensive but you get tons of options and the burgers are juicy and thick. Quality control is an issue, some places are poorly run while some are awesome than others.

5. 5 Guys, simpler than In-N-Out. Just a classic American burger place. The burgers are greasy like the old days a bit dry and then loaded with grease. Best fresh cut fries.

6. Smash Burgers: Decent burger place, the whole smash burger is nothing more than a small ball of ground beef flattened as they cook. If you like a burger with a crispy crust and not much juice or thickness than you might like theirs. Shoestring fries are more novelty than treat. Sweet Potato fries saves them and gives them healthier cred. It's a step up or notch up from Wendy's without the salads.

7. John Rocket's, not worth it as a sit down burger diner. Burgers are just ok, worst buns that can't hold a burger without soaking through and breaking apart. Fries are dull and boring, bad onion rings. Cheapest of these places if you pick up.

These are my experiences, been to each place a couple of time except for In-N-Out only been there once and left me with a positive experience.

Having witness the birth of Shake Shack and work nearby the original Shack Shack in NYC, it's the most improved place but highly over-rated today. They really need to work on that burger, everything else is great there except the burger and fries. It's too safe and not fancy enough.

Last edited by vision33r; 03-26-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
How daring and fancy does a hamburger need to be?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:31 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,941,645 times
Never been to Shake Shack...Can't stand 5 guys...Love In n Out

Old 03-26-2015, 01:30 PM

372 posts, read 724,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
How daring and fancy does a hamburger need to be?
The same could be applied to Pizza. Everyone has opinions on their favorites.

When it comes to food, one persons yuck could be another's ones yum

Old 03-26-2015, 01:42 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
Habit Burger is another very very good burger. Not quite as good as In-N-Out, but waaaaaay better than 5 Guys.

Habit Burger

Best burgers there are IMO are:

1. In-N-Out
2. The Original Tommys - Original Tommy's Hamburgers
3. Habit Burger

Old 03-26-2015, 04:26 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,099,465 times
I would also vote for 5 Guys. Never been to Shake Shack. In & Out is overrated. Five Guys has gluten free options and their staff are trained in food allergies. Good stuff.

Last edited by Rangerdude_Charlie; 03-26-2015 at 04:40 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 05:42 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualParadise View Post
Battle of the titans. Which one is better in your opinion?

DC area only has 5 Guys. I don't know what the other two are...never even heard of them. I liked Fat Burger in LACA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink