Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:11 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,168 times

Advertisements

Coming soon.
Amazon is opening a real grocery store with no checkout lines - The Orange County Register

What do you think? Is this something that you would use? No traditional check out lines.
Quote:
Besides everyday groceries, the store will sell ready-to-eat breakfast, lunch and dinner meals, as well as snacks.

“For a quick home-cooked dinner, pick up one of our chef-designed Amazon Meal Kits, with all the ingredients you need to make a meal for two in about 30 minutes,” the company said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 04:14 AM

Amazon Tests Grocery Store With No Checkout

Heres a video of how it will be.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:07 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
This makes no sense to me

Most markets are over- grocery stored as it is

The advantage of a web- store is not spending money on brick and mortar store and taxes and landscaping and refrigeration/energy

I've compared prices of groceries online and even without. Shipping the prices are not competitive to what I can get at a local supermarket

Items to be shipped to your house and you don't have to go to a huge parking lot and store
Sounds like the value to me

Old 02-17-2017, 09:17 AM

I think this will be the future of grocery shopping, Wal-Mart already has more self check out lanes than full service.

Everything is being automated. I think old fashioned grocery stores will be a niche segment which will co exist alongside automated shopping but cater to those who can afford it.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:43 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I think this will be the future of grocery shopping, Wal-Mart already has more self check out lanes than full service.

Everything is being automated. I think old fashioned grocery stores will be a niche segment which will co exist alongside automated shopping but cater to those who can afford it.
Automated shopping, maybe, but the self checkout lanes are a weak point for most stores. No matter how they try to prevent it, a lot of shoplifting goes on in the self checkouts. Every time I go to the little walmart in my neighborhood, I see people stealing...I'm fairly oblivious to other customers but it's really blatant.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:03 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Fifteen years ago, Walmart was going to take over the retail world and the traditional supermarket was doomed. Still believe that?

Seven years ago, Tesco was going to create a supermarket concept that was going to drive all the Us supermarkets out of business. All their Fresh and Easy stores are long gone.

Now, Amazon is going to take over the world. I don't think so. Just trying to order one jar of cinnamon yesterday was an hour ordeal trying to find what I want at a reasonable price. They have plenty of the cheap garbage and plenty of the really overpriced stuff but nothing that I was looking for.

I will pass.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:34 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:

mandatory minimum wage increases are causing the self-check-outs

its ironic,,,, 1/3 of the retail workforce (cashiers) will be cut hours or let go

the old fashioned mom and pop grocery stores called iga's in this part of the world,,
many have succumb to competition ,,,but many have also grown,,

30 yrs ago supermarkets werent open on sundays,,,the independents had one good busy day a week,,,then it went for a vote and most of the people that dont work weekends voted for others to work on sunday,,,,,
this opened the door for walmarts to come to maine walmart sells more groceries in the u.s. than any other chain,,,almost double kroger which is number two..

as in all business competition,,,you adapt to survive,,, many of the independent grocery stores i work with are doing more sales despite the increased competition,,,,,here's the difference,,,,its an independent business,,,one owner,, everything is up to that owner,, a chain store - they all look the same

that one owner has to keep the store clean, prices down, and re-investing in the store every 5-8 yrs.

it can be done and it can be lucrative,,,those that dont change,,, or adapt will go out of business,,

now we have dollar generals, and family dollar and dollar trees everywhere ....they sell lots of cheap groceries,,,and walgreens and rite aid,,,they all sell groceries....

but here's the difference of a good independent,,its there perishables.... i know many stores.. 1/5 the size of a supermarket,,,but they sell twice the meat because of a good reputation and service

Old 02-18-2017, 01:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Sam's Club allows you to link a credit card to their app and scan the bar codes as you shop. Once you are done shopping, you okay the purchases, and your credit card is charged. You don't have to wait in line, you just show your phone to the person checking receipts at the door. I wouldn't mind if more stores did this, and have sensor's like Amazon to check that all items are in your phone's "shopping cart".

Of course stores would still need to have a few checkout lanes for those who don't have smart phones, or refuse to use the newer technology like those who won't use self checkout.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:20 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Sam's Club allows you to link a credit card to their app and scan the bar codes as you shop. Once you are done shopping, you okay the purchases, and your credit card is charged. You don't have to wait in line, you just show your phone to the person checking receipts at the door. I wouldn't mind if more stores did this, and have sensor's like Amazon to check that all items are in your phone's "shopping cart".

Of course stores would still need to have a few checkout lanes for those who don't have smart phones, or refuse to use the newer technology like those who won't use self checkout.
I always use the Sam's app and wish more stores did this. I also use Kroger click list for most of my groceries.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:46 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
So when do we as a society stop "wanting & needing" more & more? For every person saying they wished more & more stores would do so & so or more & more technology we are losing jobs. That self checkout puts at least 3 human cashiers out of a job per store on average. We are becoming a selfish, lazy society.

Then we wonder where the work ethics have gone, why other countries work for peanuts compared to the US, high welfare recipients and why we have a huge problem with obesity. Pick up your phones click & scan away because it's all about you not the bigger picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink