Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 10:34 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times

Advertisements

Rotisserie chicken from the nearest grocery store.

Bring a crock pot. You can make just about anything in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Cereal, milk, and bananas for breakfast. If your room does not have bowls and spoons, pick up paper or plastic that can easily be tossed/recycled.

I probably would order pizza in for one night and there are always specials on pizza. The kids will love it. Leftover pizza can be heated up for lunch the next day.

Take a cooler with lunch meat, cheeses, mayo, or whatever the kids like, along with a loaf of bread.

Check to see if the motel has an outside grill. If so, bring some hamburger or hotdogs to cook out. Stop at the grocery and get some prepared salads and see if they have already-made hamburger patties.

Take the kids for ice cream at night. Get some microwave popcorn.

Sounds like the kids will have a great time. Don't worry about everything being perfect and just enjoy your time with them.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:48 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Cereal, milk, and bananas for breakfast. If your room does not have bowls and spoons, pick up paper or plastic that can easily be tossed/recycled.

I probably would order pizza in for one night and there are always specials on pizza. The kids will love it. Leftover pizza can be heated up for lunch the next day.

Take a cooler with lunch meat, cheeses, mayo, or whatever the kids like, along with a loaf of bread.

Check to see if the motel has an outside grill. If so, bring some hamburger or hotdogs to cook out. Stop at the grocery and get some prepared salads and see if they have already-made hamburger patties.

Take the kids for ice cream at night. Get some microwave popcorn.

Sounds like the kids will have a great time. Don't worry about everything being perfect and just enjoy your time with them.

Ice chest! Absolutely. I should have thought to mention that. My wife has carried one in the back of the SUV ever since we started taking the little BULLDOGDAD puppies out into the public over 25 years ago.

Not to mention when Mom and Dad hit Vegas,

Old 07-14-2015, 11:05 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
I would make bean and cheese burros, or beef enchiladas to freeze and then microwave in room. The frozen Jose Ole beef and cheese burritos are also delicious.

Frozen pizza rolls are also good, home made or Totino's brand.

Or little taco bites, just make the taco meat in advance and reheat it in the hotel microwave, bring baggies of diced tomatoes, cheese and ice berg lettuce, and a bag of tostito scoops.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:11 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You already know you don't want sandwiches so you need to decide how much fuss and mess you are willing to deal with in a hotel room.
You have been given several suggestions that are good already and you turned them down.
You are coming across rude.
Not sure why you would be.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This sounds more like a nightmare than a vacation. Are you planning on ever leaving the motel room?

If you don't like pre-made meals, you should have found a motel room with a stove. Unless they like Ramen and hot dogs, of course.
Why of course renting something with a stove and kitchen would be ideal.
Not possible though.
It is in a highly vacation area and I'm making last minute reservations.
And this is my only option.

I don't understand some of the questions surrounding what I asked.
I asked specifically for ideas.
Not other rental option or if I know what I'm doing.

Last edited by Atalanta; 07-14-2015 at 11:29 AM..

Old 07-14-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Pre-make meals and freeze them, you can heat them up in the microwave at the hotel. (Lasagna, casseroles, etc.)
Thanks
Might just do that for a few of the meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
A big bucket of KFC fried chicken.

Yeah, gonna stay put though once we get there. It is beach side.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:17 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

I don't understand some of the questions surrounding what I asked.
I asked specifically for ideas.
Well, because people gave you ideas, then you say you don't want ready-to-eat meals. But you're in a motel room with only a microwave & a fridge. I mean, you won't be able to cook, so how else are you going to prepare a meal?

Old 07-14-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
My husband travels and lives out of hotels a lot for work. This is what he does as he says eating out every meal grows old quick. Freeze the meals and travel with them in a cooler.
Also what he does is easy made meals such as buying salad stuff and a rotisserie chicken.
If a Wegman's is near by that's what I do when I am sick of fast food when traveling by car with my kids. Their premade food selection is extensive and really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You could do what my sister calls "walking tacos" fairly easily. Buy individual sized bags of fritos/doritos/ tostitos (any of the "itos") and smash the contents of the bag. Shred the meat off the rotiserrie chicken and add to the chip bag with salsa, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, etc. Eat out of the bag with a spoon.
Great ideas guys.
I lime that salad and walking taco idea.
No plates to deal with. Smart

Old 07-14-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Since you are on vacation too, Grandma, I think you should make it easy on yourself. Do as one poster suggested and get dinner from the meals to go section of the grocery store, or hotdogs with grocery store salads or heat and eat mac and cheese.
I would stay at a hotel that has free breakfast. I would make pbj or bologna and cheese for lunch.
Is it too late to switch to a residence inn with a kitchen? You cannot be expected to prepare meals in a regular room.
Don't stress yourself. The kids can go 3 days without balanced meals.
Yes, I am stressing a little to much.
As grandma, ya know, we worry about that
Thanks for the advice

I'd defiantly choose a different lodging option, but no availibilty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink