Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 07:15 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You are combining several different things here.....and little that that has anything to do with organic....quite honest proves the point that you could label a dog turd organic and people would pay big money per pound.

Grass fed beef will taste different...but that's because it's grass fed....not that it's organic...because not all grass fed beef is organic.
I didn't bother to nitpick, I merely shared my opinion/experience only, which cannot be refuted. Thanks for your response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 07:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
No...none of that means it's organic.....it means it was fed a certain diet...but that diet might not be organic.

Do people even know what organic actually means?
Clearly not.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Tomatoes, melons, apples, peaches, celery and strawberries all taste better organic.
I swear I could not tell the difference, and I am shocked some can. I beleive it is easy to tell the difference in say, a fresh, from the farm tomato, apple or whatever, but not whether it is organic or not. I sometimes think people believe everything from the farmers market or road side stands or local farms is organic. It is not. Sometimes yes, more times not.How can anyone tell the difference between an organically grown melon and one that may have had a spray used on the outside to control bugs?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:32 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Peaches - though it might be more that the farmer waits for them to actually be ripe before picking them off the tree, compared to supermarkets that get them up to a week too early to pick.

Tomatoes - for the same reason, possibly.

Eggs - this is a tough one. The only "organic" eggs I get are from a friend who has a farm, and her hens roam free in their own fenced section of the farm, and have a refurbished antique caravan trailer as their shelter/coop/nesting area.

The taste could be the result of any of a myriad of things. Organic, free-range, cage-free, grain-fed, no growth hormones, the particular variety of hen (she has around a dozen different -types- of hens, including one which lays blue eggs), the contentedness of the hen (happy hens make tasty eggs; it's a hormone thing).

Old 08-31-2015, 09:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Carrots taste different. A local in season organic carrot is one of the yummiest things ever.

I can't tell with avocados or bananas or onions.

But local in season food is the best, comventional or not.

I find organic milk is sweeter.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:06 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Lamb, all of it is gamey......organic or non-organic.

I love Lamb.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Carrots taste different. A local in season organic carrot is one of the yummiest things ever.

I can't tell with avocados or bananas or onions.

But local in season food is the best, comventional or not.

I find organic milk is sweeter.
But when you buy a locally grown carrot or whatever, are you sure it is organic or just locally grown? We buy as much locally grown produce as we can during the season, (like now) but that doesn't mean it is organic.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But when you buy a locally grown carrot or whatever, are you sure it is organic or just locally grown? We buy as much locally grown produce as we can during the season, (like now) but that doesn't mean it is organic.
I know. They are labelled as such. Or when i go to the farmers market i ask. Some local stuff is not officially organic (i.e. They haven't paid for the certification) but they use organic practices. Other places are still in the soil waiting period.

I look for organic for items on the dirty dozen list, essentially anything you my eat the skin.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I know. They are labelled as such. Or when i go to the farmers market i ask. Some local stuff is not officially organic (i.e. They haven't paid for the certification) but they use organic practices. Other places are still in the soil waiting period.
Or, you take it on an honors system that they use organic practices (or what they consider to be organic practices).

Old 09-02-2015, 02:32 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Man just buy local chickens from a source. I can buy a fryer for $2 from a lady down the street.

Ya just have to slaughter it, pluck it, scald it (or hit it with a propane torch) and cut it yourself. It's not organic, but it's not a frankenbird either.
I just eat mine whole. its more organic that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink