Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:13 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times

Advertisements

hasnt those mashed potatoes always been fake?

pretty much most items on fast food menus are dehydrated food or "food product" which is close enough to being food nothing is really made "fresh" in those places. the lettuce and tomatoes are from a chinese shipping container
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Just my 2 cents worth and that is about all it is good for: Truthfully I don't think the McDonalds burgers are much different than in years past: I think we just imagine things taste better when we are younger or maybe our taste buds are a little more accepting. As for KFC, they were much better in years past and we have seen a few close down lately.

I will add, when we do eat out we try to go to locally owned restaurants. We did eat at Steak and Shake the other day. We had only tried them one other time (many years ago) and now we know why. The meat was ok, the bun nicely toasted but there was absolutely nothing, not even mustard on the burger and the fries were just those crappy skinny little things, plus service was very slow. I did think the milk shakes looked awesome.

Even places like P.F. Changs are not as good as they were 10 years ago. This is one of the reasons we are not going out for our anniversary dinner tonight. Yes, I do have to do the cooking, but I don't mind and it is a lot better plus about 1/2 as expensive. New York strip (almost a lb each) twice bakep potatoes, spinach salad and a bottle of wine: total cost; about $35.00 at most: total cost if we were eating in a decent restaurant: about $75.00 or maybe more. $15 tip.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
McDonalds is the poster child for GMOs which are the worst things ever.

Most other fast food restaurants are GMO food, but not all. I think Chipolte went non GMO.

So yes, your food is nothing like it was 25 years ago. Wheat no longer resembles the wheat of our past which is why so many people have celiac and gluten problems.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:54 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I don't remember McDonald's ever being good food, except for the French fries. They used to cook them in beef tallow and those were spectacularly good fries. There was some sort of health outcry, and McDonald's stopped using tallow and the fries became ordinary.

KFC used to be quite good. A bit greasy so not marvelously healthy, but really tasty. The local markets sell much better fried chicken for half the price so I haven't eaten KFC for a very long time.

There used to be little burger places that were quite good before the invention of the drive-through window. Foster Freeze served a good burger and good soft serve ice cream. A&W served a good burger. That was faster than a restaurant, but was cooked to order and wasn't all that cheap.

Several small privately owned burger shackos were really good.

I don't think the public has the patience for cooked-to-order burgers any more.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:33 PM

607 posts, read 602,036 times
Just one of the many reasons I don't eat out at cheap/fast food places anymore. The one exception is In n' Out Burger. Other than that, I avoid fast food places, and also low-end chain restaurants like Denny's, Applebee's, all that kind of crap, because the quality of their food is also pretty gross and cheap. PASS.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:36 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Someone needs to send this thread to KFC and Micky D's. corporate headquarters/ CEO.
Aw, on the global marker scale, would not care anyway...

Old 08-29-2015, 03:08 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Mom and Pop places still do. Plenty here in Miami. Does taste like something Mom would make.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:13 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I remember it being a treat to get Smaks hamburgers when I was a kid in the 60s. The food actually tasted good. So did McDonald's. It was real food! If the food were the same now as it was then, it would be great. But it's not.

I got KFC tonight for the first time in a long time. The mashed potatoes were instant mashed potatoes. The macaroni and cheese had a sort of chemical taste. The corn was dry. The chicken was soggy and the original recipe breading/crust was falling off. It smelled like a bucket of grease. I took a bite or two of each thing and I was done. Might as well throw the rest away; I'm not going to eat it. I remember when Kentucky Fried Chicken was really good, both the chicken and the sides. Now it's disgusting.

I don't see how places stay in business serving "food" like this. What about places that sell "chicken" with the fake grill stripes on it? It's definitely not real chicken, or it's random chicken pieces pressed together. On the Border serves that questionable chicken. I don't order chicken anything there. But other places do it too. Sometimes I just order a meatless entrée because I don't want any mystery meat on my plate.

Why can't they serve real food? I know it's probably cheaper to serve the crap they are serving, but I can't be the only person who refuses to eat it.

Same with school cafeterias. When I went to school, they cooked everything from scratch. It smelled and tasted wonderful. Now they open industrial sized cans of crap and feed the kids. What's up with that? When are we going to INSIST on real food?

I think they are going to continue to do this until people just refuse to eat it. I can't help but think that our grandparents and great grandparents would refuse to eat the stuff we are being served today and would be shocked to see what we are eating. They knew what real food was.

It's to the point that I'm going to start cooking more because I just can't stand the stuff they try to pass off as food!
I think people get used to it and don't know any better? I ate at a new IHOP in our area. Big deal because it is a very small town. People couldn't wait. I ordered the turkey and dressing dinner - yuck. No flavor at all. Same thing with the mashed potatoes. Broccoli was just boiled or steamed. And I love a good institutional turkey dinner - like they served in school in the old days - lol. I thought I was going to get the same thing.

Not going back. Pancakes don't interest me either. I like mine with a crunchy edge and the kind they make at these places to me, are usually under cooked.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:19 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Mom and Pop places still do. Plenty here in Miami. Does taste like something Mom would make.
You have to be careful because most mom and pop places buy from either Sams or Cysco=GMOs.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:21 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You have to be careful because most mom and pop places buy from either Sams or Cysco=GMOs.
good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink