Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 07:13 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times

Advertisements

i remember my mom carefully sorting though every bag of pinto beans before cooking them. i don't remember how many rocks she found, but assumed it must have been at least a few, or she probably would have stopped doing it. even today, most dried beans, lentils, peas, etc. have a small warning advising to carefully sort and rinse before cooking.

i don't bother doing that, as i've gone through dozens of bags of pinto beans and never had an issue. however, last winter i made split pea soup and my wife bit down on a small rock that cracked a tooth and required a rather expensive crown to fix. so i was just wondering how often people actually sort through their dried legumes, and how often they find anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 09:17 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Always sort and clean. I occasionally still find rocks. The sorting machines are a lot better at sorting the rocks out of the beans, but some still get through and into the consumer's home.

I will take out some beans that look like maybe they are moldy. At least they are discolored.

Pintos will have the most sorted out of them, but I have found rocks in black beans, which are normally the cleanest of the dry beans.

That expensive crown would have paid for a lot of hours of cleaning and sorting your dry beans.

It isn't time consuming. I drop a handful onto a clear pie plate, give them a careful look and then dump them into a colander. After all the beans have been sorted, I rinse them in the colander and then pour them into the crock pot. it's an easy project and doesn't take long. It's faster than rinsing all the lettuce leafs before making a green salad.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:20 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I give them a quick look over. Don't remember ever finding a rock.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:04 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
I've had the occasional bone in ground beef, I hate that. End up swirling my mouth around trying to spit it out without making a disgusting scene in front of everyone by doing full retch.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:18 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I always check. I also discard any beans that don't look "right." I find fewer stones today, but have run across three or four the past couple years. In the 1970s I expected to find a few stones in just about every package.

The most surprising event for me was not beans, but I was once stung in the mouth by a bee that had been canned into a can of spinach.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:31 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That expensive crown would have paid for a lot of hours of cleaning and sorting your dry beans.
true. after years of having no issues despite not inspecting them, all it takes is one time.

Old 07-14-2022, 03:25 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
I've reached the point I only use canned beans. The last black beans I tried to cook simmered for 3 days and never did get tender. That's a sure sign of old beans.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:44 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
I have never bitten down on a rock, but within the past MONTH, I have bitten on a chunk of bone in "premium" ground beef & bone piece in Tyson "boneless, skinless chicken thighs". I don't think food is being inspected as closely as it once was, no doubt due to the lack of workers unwilling to work for crap wages & work environment.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,170,524 times
I bit down on a stone in a dish of rice in Zambia in 1987, spent the next month of that field trip with a cracked molar I couldn't use to chew with, and I still have the crown I got on that tooth when I returned home in 1988. 34 years is pretty good for a crown.

So yeah, I look.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:10 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Beans and legumes are always rinsed and sorted in my kitchen; dried fruits like prunes and cherries are, too. It's not worth cracking a tooth because I was too lazy or careless to take the time to properly prepare food for consumption.

It's rare that I have found stones in a bag of beans, peas, or lentils, but there are often beans that need to be discarded. I nearly always find at least two or three pits per box of prunes or cherries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink