Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 03:34 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times

Advertisements

I was in an Asian market this AM and they had some mini eggplants about the size of a chestnut, I'd never seen anything like them before. Just curious if anyone's had them and has any suggestions for how to use them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 04:43 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I haven't seen any that small, but there are lots of excellent Asian recipes for eggplant, so that might be the way to go. Eggplant goes really well with soy sauce and sesame oil

Old 07-11-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I haven't seen any that small, but there are lots of excellent Asian recipes for eggplant, so that might be the way to go. Eggplant goes really well with soy sauce and sesame oil

Or, marinara and mozzarella!

Old 07-12-2022, 06:20 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I was in an Asian market this AM and they had some mini eggplants about the size of a chestnut, I'd never seen anything like them before. Just curious if anyone's had them and has any suggestions for how to use them?
If they were purple and slightly egg-shaped, they were Indian eggplant. Common in indian curries, stuffed and in bhurta (my spelling may be incorrect, but it uses roasted Indian eggplant, onions and tomato with the usual huge assortment of Indian spices.) Our Indian population is so large that we see these in our better stocked regular grocery stores.

If they were small, round and green, they were Thai eggplant. They usually have similar striations on their skin like watermelon. The few times I've had them, they were slightly bitter and a little crunchy-ish. I was told they could be eaten raw.

I wasn't enamored of either. I'll be sticking to my Japanese eggplant.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If they were purple and slightly egg-shaped, they were Indian eggplant. Common in indian curries, stuffed and in bhurta (my spelling may be incorrect, but it uses roasted Indian eggplant, onions and tomato with the usual huge assortment of Indian spices.) Our Indian population is so large that we see these in our better stocked regular grocery stores.

If they were small, round and green, they were Thai eggplant. They usually have similar striations on their skin like watermelon. The few times I've had them, they were slightly bitter and a little crunchy-ish. I was told they could be eaten raw.

I wasn't enamored of either. I'll be sticking to my Japanese eggplant.

Thanks for this! They may have been slightly egg shaped and were that same very dark purple color of 'regular' eggplants. Never saw them before and they just got me thinking about what could be done with them.

Perhapsthis is the dish you were speaking of?: https://myheartbeets.com/baingan-ka-...dian-eggplant/

Old 07-12-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this! They may have been slightly egg shaped and were that same very dark purple color of 'regular' eggplants. Never saw them before and they just got me thinking about what could be done with them.

Perhapsthis is the dish you were speaking of?: https://myheartbeets.com/baingan-ka-...dian-eggplant/
Yep. Except when I had it, the veggies were more mashed.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Yep. Except when I had it, the veggies were more mashed.

Well, funny car driver Doug Kalitta was a USAC Sprint Car Champ so I think good car control skills may well be transferable to other racing disciplines. I remember years ago at the Daytona 24 Hours a teammate being upset when A J Foyt was put in their car, Foyt then went out and set fastest time, in the wet.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Well, funny car driver Doug Kalitta was a USAC Sprint Car Champ so I think good car control skills may well be transferable to other racing disciplines. I remember years ago at the Daytona 24 Hours a teammate being upset when A J Foyt was put in their car, Foyt then went out and set fastest time, in the wet.
What?

There's a joke in here someplace about race car drivers having the brains that resembles an eggplant.

PS wasn't it Kalitta who had a long term relationship with Shirley Muldowney?

Old 07-12-2022, 02:53 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Many many years ago someone in my family used to candy them. I remember having them only once, they were very good. I do not have a recipe though, so this is actually more of a non-post, lol.

Eta: google brings me this recipe, and it sounds pretty similar ingredient-wise to what I remember.
https://koshercowboy.com/desserts/ca...baby-eggplant/

Old 07-12-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
What?

There's a joke in here someplace about race car drivers having the brains that resembles an eggplant.

PS wasn't it Kalitta who had a long term relationship with Shirley Muldowney?

Just

Wow, I have no idea how I managed to post something meant for the Auto Racing forum in an eggplant thread. Maybe it's my brain beginning to look like a mashed eggplant

And I've I've had nothing stronger than coffee all day.

It was Connie Kallitta Muldowney bought a fuel funny car from and also formed a match team of the Bounty Hunter & Huntress. Many said many things about their relationship but they also said she'd never make it as a driver so who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink