Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 06:34 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times

Advertisements

So, I'm just wondering...do you clean up the kitchen after dinner, while your dinner guests are still there?

I can't get comfortable or relax and enjoy myself when I know there is a mess in my kitchen...

So yes, I at least START cleaning up. I'll rinse the plates off, load the dishwasher (usually unload it while I'm cooking, if necessary), soak pots and pans, wipe off the counters, etc. I'll go back in to finish the pots and pans and do a more thorough cleaning, but I just can't enjoy myself if I just leave the mess for later.

Sometimes I wonder if that's rude, though.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,012 times
You should relax and enjoy your time with everyone its not about the food its about the conversation and friendship and its not about the mess in the kitchen it's about your friends and family that you invited over leave the mess for later and at the very least someone will offer to help and come and talk and clean with you.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:47 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
I do it with family. With friends not so much. My family usually pitches in.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:47 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I don't know if it is rude.

But, I will say this ...I don't know one female that has not brought it up to me....
"And then there's Elizabeth making all this noise in the kitchen
and running the DISHwasher!...Gawd, can't she sit with us... Hold off on
her compulsions once while we're here? And relax with us!!?"

Stuff like that is very common. (OCD, priorities and 'what a shame' are brought up
for each female that does it...
I don't know any males that run to the
kitchen, that's all...I'm sure they do, also.)

Just giving my experience from others... No judgment coming from me.
I notice it...I don't care...would rather not have all the noise, tho, I guess.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:49 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Yes, then relax. Sometimes it seems that I do get a little help to speed up the clean up.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I don't know if it is rude.

But, I will say this ...I don't know one female that has not brought it up to me....
"And then there's Elizabeth making all this noise in the kitchen
and running the DISHwasher!...Gawd, can't she sit with us... Hold off on
her compulsions once while we're here? And relax with us!!?"

Stuff like that is very common. (OCD, priorities and 'what a shame' are brought up
for each female that does it...
I don't know any males that run to the
kitchen, that's all...I'm sure they do, also.)

Just giving my experience from others... No judgment coming from me.
I notice it...I don't care...would rather not have all the noise, tho, I guess.
Yeah, I know it drives some people nuts.

I guess I should stop. doing. it. But ughhh...it drives me insane!

And yes, I agree that most men don't run to the kitchen. Sometimes I wish mine would, though!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
that's why you use paper plates....round em up at the table with the plastic cutlery and go throw them in the outside burn barrel...

quick and easy

Old 04-15-2015, 07:29 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
So, I'm just wondering...do you clean up the kitchen after dinner, while your dinner guests are still there?

I can't get comfortable or relax and enjoy myself when I know there is a mess in my kitchen...

So yes, I at least START cleaning up. I'll rinse the plates off, load the dishwasher (usually unload it while I'm cooking, if necessary), soak pots and pans, wipe off the counters, etc. I'll go back in to finish the pots and pans and do a more thorough cleaning, but I just can't enjoy myself if I just leave the mess for later.

Sometimes I wonder if that's rude, though.

Thoughts?

Clearing the table of dirty dishes is not rude, cleaning up the kitchen while your guests have come to visit with you is completely rude.

You CAN relax and enjoy yourself if things are left until later you just choose NOT to which shows your guests that they are not as important to you as dirty dishes.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Hi Ikmax,
And a therapist would ask,
"And, Ikmax, what drives you insane about it?"
Then, make you do the work.

And they make $140 an hr!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
that's why you use paper plates....round em up at the table with the plastic cutlery and go throw them in the outside burn barrel...

quick and easy
Not a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Clearing the table of dirty dishes is not rude, cleaning up the kitchen while your guests have come to visit with you is completely rude.

You CAN relax and enjoy yourself if things are left until later you just choose NOT to which shows your guests that they are not as important to you as dirty dishes.
Probably true. I guess I'm just not good company when I'm obsessing in my mind about the dishes. It doesn't take that long to do them anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink