Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:41 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,254 times

Advertisements

While not a hardcore baker by any means, here is what I've found has worked for me with things I've made at home.

1 - Just go for it. Don't be afraid to screw up. Try some recipes out, and you may be pleasantly surprised.

2 - Get a scale. Many recipes call for specific weights of certain ingredients, especially things like flour.

3 - If you plan on making any cornbread, make sure to invest in a cast iron skillet

Happy baking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 01:36 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Another tip is to use Baker's joy, it's like Pam but had some flour in it so that cakes won't stick to the pan.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:06 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
This holiday season coming up is a good time to make some freezable breads, like cranberry/orange, date nut, zucchini or banana. It is nice to be able to pop these out at the last minute for guests or to take as gifts.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:13 AM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Here's a great site for anyone who wants to be super popular with their cooking/baking.

Natasha's Kitchen

Old 11-15-2015, 12:10 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
I'm an amateur baker, and the biggest advice I have is to follow the recipe to a tee, since baking is chemistry, and I bet if you go to a lab you're not just going to mix a bunch of random liquids and powders. I never used mixes before since a lot of recipes are really easy without them, like brownies only take ten-twenty minutes to put together from scratch, and it's worth it for the taste. My cheesecake, baked chicken and also flan always come out really good, but Im still trying to get better at cornbread, I heard it might be because of overmixing

Old 11-15-2015, 02:16 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Don't start out with anything complicated, like French pastry recipes. Start out with something easy, like muffins or an easy cake. Tarts are fun, and "easy as pie" is easy as pie.

There are a lot of time saving tips that you can find online. Non-stick pie pans are awesome. I also use silicone muffin "pans", I can even use them in the microwave. They make it easy to turn out the muffins (or cupcakes) without using greased paper cups. Quick way to test a cake to see if it's done: stick a toothpick into the centre if it comes out clean, it's finished, if it comes out with some wet batter on it, the cake needs more time in the oven.

You can get frozen pastry/pie dough that's great, you don't need to do everything from scratch when you're just a beginner baker.

Baking is so much more than cakes and pies, though. Spanakopita is very easy once you get the hang of how to roll the triangles.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:35 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
The most important thing about baking is proper measurement. If you live where most baking recipes are measured in g/kg, then get a scale. Otherwise, Nerys52SoSilver has a good list for you.

Most cooks start out as kids making cookies, so it's clearly a good path to starting a love of cooking!
I'm just getting into baking myself after many years of cooking. I couldn't agree more with the suggestion of getting a scale, Harbor Freight has a handy little digital one you can pick up with one of their readily available 20% off coupons for less than $15.00.

I'd also recommend: King Arthur Flour - Try it Once, Trust it Always

A lot of very good advice available as well the willingness to answer individuals' questions. There's a recipe for a 'no-knead' crusty white bread that can serve as a real confidence builder as well as putting a decent loaf of bread on the table.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:59 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm just getting into baking myself after many years of cooking. I couldn't agree more with the suggestion of getting a scale, Harbor Freight has a handy little digital one you can pick up with one of their readily available 20% off coupons for less than $15.00.

I'd also recommend: King Arthur Flour - Try it Once, Trust it Always

A lot of very good advice available as well the willingness to answer individuals' questions. There's a recipe for a 'no-knead' crusty white bread that can serve as a real confidence builder as well as putting a decent loaf of bread on the table.
I had never cooked till last year and I decided I wanted to bake a loaf of bread. I got a sourdough starter off the web and about a year later I have gotten to the point of being able to bake a decent loaf of bread. I now bake one loaf a week. All of it tastes good, some even looks good.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:33 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I had never cooked till last year and I decided I wanted to bake a loaf of bread. I got a sourdough starter off the web and about a year later I have gotten to the point of being able to bake a decent loaf of bread. I now bake one loaf a week. All of it tastes good, some even looks good.
Makes the house smell good too, doesn't it?

I've been cooking for a long time and taste along the way and can pretty much 'tweak' things to come out to my liking. Baking's a whole new challenge as once things go in the oven they're a mystery until they come out and cool enough to be tasted, but when you hit something right it's totally worth it.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:41 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Learning to bake bread gave me a whole new respect for cooks. And you are so right, it does make the house smell good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink