Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:04 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times

Advertisements

I am looking for soups that can be made in a crockpot and also can be frozen for one cup servings to be heated up in the microwave.

Soups need to be very low in sodium and very low in carbs - but, HIGH in calories.

Due to allergies, no nuts or seeds, no beans, no celery in the soup.

Any suggestions on what types of soups to look for that would meet these requirements? Maybe a soup that can be modified to substitute something in place of an ingredient I can't consume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 03:50 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Chicken pot pie without potato and extra cream. A weight lifter/no carb friend loves it.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:03 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Kale potato sausage soup.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Chicken pot pie without potato and extra cream. A weight lifter/no carb friend loves it.
Threestep,

Can you point me to a recipe I can follow? The ones I am seeing on line seem like they are very heavy with salt which I also must minimize. I can always leave out the celery and maybe instead of regular potato maybe substitute sweet potato? So, soups with cream are OK to freeze? I need to find a recipe so I can figure out what items on the list can be replaced with "no salt" versions of the ingredient.

Thanks for this suggestion - I had never heard of Chicken Pot pie soup!

Old 01-03-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Kale potato sausage soup.

I looked at what goes into this soup and the amount of salt per cup is about 8 times more than my salt limits. I can't see any way of getting this soup down to acceptable salt levels. It sounds good, but, does not meet my low carb/low salt criteria.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:35 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Throw a couple of boneless chicken breasts into the crock with some seasonings (whatever you like), low sodium chicken broth or just water. Let it simmer for 6-8 hours on low. When it's done, shred the chicken, divide, and freeze. When you're ready to eat it, just add whatever else you want. Very basic, very easy.

Re-reading, I see you don't necessarily want low cal. You can use bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts also, or thighs or drums. The bones tend to make a more flavorful soup, but quite a lot more fat to skim at the end.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Throw a couple of boneless chicken breasts into the crock with some seasonings (whatever you like), low sodium chicken broth or just water. Let it simmer for 6-8 hours on low. When it's done, shred the chicken, divide, and freeze. When you're ready to eat it, just add whatever else you want. Very basic, very easy.

Re-reading, I see you don't necessarily want low cal. You can use bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts also, or thighs or drums. The bones tend to make a more flavorful soup, but quite a lot more fat to skim at the end.

Need to cut down on carbs and salt for health reasons, but, in doing so I went from 114 lbs to 110 lbs in 3 weeks. I need to stay above 114lbs and estimate I need about 2500 calories a day to stop the free fall and start gaining back the weight.

I did see in the grocery store a "no salt" chicken broth and I like chicken - just need to add something to it to get more calories without adding salt or too many carbs to the mix.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:01 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Need to cut down on carbs and salt for health reasons, but, in doing so I went from 114 lbs to 110 lbs in 3 weeks. I need to stay above 114lbs and estimate I need about 2500 calories a day to stop the free fall and start gaining back the weight.

I did see in the grocery store a "no salt" chicken broth and I like chicken - just need to add something to it to get more calories without adding salt or too many carbs to the mix.
Cream, as someone mentioned above. Cream is relatively low carb, but high in calories. You'll want to stay away from potatoes and pasta, bread or rice.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:04 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Numerous recipes online and in cookbooks at the book store, a recipe is a guideline that you should change to your taste.
Just about any soup can be frozen but it is my opinion one should invest in a food saver machine to do that.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:18 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
I can't think of a soup that doesn't freeze well. We are making Tomato Herb Soup from Budget Bytes tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink