Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

Chinese food varies greatly restaurant to restaurant. I'm fortunate to live half a mile from the best one I've ever eaten at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:06 AM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
That food looked crazy good!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-16-2016, 11:11 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I admit to snickering when I read the title of this thread. I cannot STAND the all-you-can-eat buffet scene with the grazers who turn my stomach just seeing them gorge their already obese bodies.

If a Chinese place does a good Shrimp with Lobster Sauce then they're okay by me. The fried stuff doesn't agree with me. One thing I love is egg drop soup with a side of white rice. Take a spoon full of rice, dip in the soup and devour. Great for cold weather and cheap, too.

If you find a good place, stay true to them. They're out there.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Actually the internet has made it easier than ever, and yes in most authentic places the "real thing" can be found on menus not by needing to know the owners or speak Chinese.

Here is the menu and some dishes from an Sichuan style joint we used to hit, those are authentic dishes listed in English on the menu handed to anyone who walks in the door. No secret handshake needed to get the good stuff.

Just posting this and talking about it has me drooling....
ok, we don't really need to get so technical; I was just generalizing, asking for recommendations is still the best way to find what any of us are looking for; nothing works like word or mouth, but of course the internet is made a lot of research right at our finger tips: literally.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:22 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
When we go to China Town in Chicago we eat at the Thai restaurant

Old 01-16-2016, 12:12 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Yes, and the big reason why was due to the boom of all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets during the 90s and early 2000s. The put a lot of smaller Chinese restaurants that actually make their own food out of business because people love to stuff themselves on garbage for $8. Food for the vast majority of buffets already comes prepared and frozen, buffets just heat them up.

We still have great Chinese food though--but you have to be living near a major city to find it.
Fortunately, there are still some really good Chinese restaurants in my general area. But you touched on something else I have noticed. A lot of ethnic food gets "moderated" for American taste preferences. Places start holding back on heat and seasoning to cater to American taste buds. The whole point of me going to Chinese restaurant or Indian restaurant is to taste their unique spices and flavors. If a dish is normally made very spicy that's how I want it.

The smaller places that the so-called foodies haven't found yet tend to be the best places to eat. Once the foodies and the Yelp lovers find a place they ruin it.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:48 PM

132 posts, read 122,595 times
Chinese food has always been pretty bad, imo.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Chinese food is a treat in our house...I grew up poor so didn't have it til I was in high school and LOVED it..

absolutely loved the pupu platter- our grandmother would take us three kids out and have a pupu platter for 5 ...we would gorge ourselves it was soooo good..

when I was first married- we ate out a LOT..... and I always liked trying the different Chinese places-loved them!!

in recent history - we don't eat much Chinese food,,,because Chinese food seems to be one of those foods that stick with me,,,, and put on the pounds (like pizza if I eat too much)
and its tough not to overeat....

but I don't find the quality has gone down significantly ,,,of course im not the pickiest of eaters
not going to restaurants much growing up,,,i tend to appreciate the food we are served

Old 01-16-2016, 02:54 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Yes the Chinese restaurants are horrible for the most part. Things get quicker and lower quality for more profit, but there is no question Chinese food has gone down hill pretty much across the board.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:16 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I admit to snickering when I read the title of this thread. I cannot STAND the all-you-can-eat buffet scene with the grazers who turn my stomach just seeing them gorge their already obese bodies.

If a Chinese place does a good Shrimp with Lobster Sauce then they're okay by me. The fried stuff doesn't agree with me. One thing I love is egg drop soup with a side of white rice. Take a spoon full of rice, dip in the soup and devour. Great for cold weather and cheap, too.

If you find a good place, stay true to them. They're out there.

I've never been to a Chinese Buffet and I'm good with that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink