Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:58 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Look online and you can find lots of recipes for Chinese ribs.

Even at 99 cents a pound, I would not use ribs for anything but a rib recipe. There is a high percentage of bone in the ribs, so that is expensive meat if all you are going to do is shred it. I can get pork shoulder for $1.30 a pound and that doesn't have any bone in it. If I am going to pay for ribs, we eat ribs, not shredded pork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 09:03 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Look online and you can find lots of recipes for Chinese ribs.

Even at 99 cents a pound, I would not use ribs for anything but a rib recipe. There is a high percentage of bone in the ribs, so that is expensive meat if all you are going to do is shred it. I can get pork shoulder for $1.30 a pound and that doesn't have any bone in it. If I am going to pay for ribs, we eat ribs, not shredded pork.
Yep. I usually cook the red or green chile pork with a butt roast, but on the unusual occasion when I use ribs, I cook them for FAR less time so they still require teeth to get the meat off the bone.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:29 AM

633 posts, read 1,011,951 times
Karen,

Here is one of my favorites... you can play with the amounts that you use.

I like orange juice with fajita seasoning, mix in some ketchup too (or a can of tomato sauce)

Also add a dash of liquid smoke and some molasses or brown sugar.

If I have it, I add some chopped garlic and scallions as well. The orange juice is magic! If it tastes too sweet for you, add a teaspoon of balsamic or redwine vinegar.

Slice up some big sweet vidalia onions and some green peppers and saute till soft and serve with the pork. YUM!!!

Old 06-03-2016, 12:21 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Karen,

Here is one of my favorites... you can play with the amounts that you use.

I like orange juice with fajita seasoning, mix in some ketchup too (or a can of tomato sauce)

Also add a dash of liquid smoke and some molasses or brown sugar.

If I have it, I add some chopped garlic and scallions as well. The orange juice is magic! If it tastes too sweet for you, add a teaspoon of balsamic or redwine vinegar.

Slice up some big sweet vidalia onions and some green peppers and saute till soft and serve with the pork. YUM!!!
Goya mojo criollo works quite well for this, if you can find it. It's not nearly so sweet. You can leave out the liquid smoke, molasses or brown sugar, balsamic and fajita seasoning. I've never tried it with ketchup or tomato sauce, but it's an interesting idea (though I'd use Rotel).

Old 06-03-2016, 09:44 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Hi, all! Just wanted to let you know I DID end up cooking some of the pork ribs in the slow cooker with fajita seasoning -- left them in there on low for about 8 hours, then put them in a plastic container in the fridge overnight. Today I skimmed the fat off, then heated up some of the pork to use for soft tacos (wanted to do fajitas but realized I had only half a pepper left) -- they were WONDERFUL. I don't think I've ever had pork tacos before, and usually I do hard-shell instead of soft, but these were really, really good. (I thought maybe the fajita seasoning I'd used wouldn't taste great making tacos, but it was fine -- I used taco sauce and "normal" taco toppings and they were great.)

I will definitely try fajitas with the pork, AND lots of the suggestions you all have made, but figured I'd give you an update.

Oh, and for those who said that even at 99 cents a pound, ribs can be expensive because you're also paying for the bone, you are absolutely right of course, but normally where I live pork even on sale is $2.99 a pound (or more), so 99 cents was really a bargain, and the pork turned out great. I didn't mind discarding the bones (there was actually WAY more meat than bone on these) and using just meat.

I will go back and make sure I've rep'd everyone, including those who posted after I last did! Thanks so much for all the great suggestions!

Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I'll give you this concession: whether at 99 cents or $4 a pound, the meat on the ribs is the best flavored pork of any of the cuts.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:04 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
How about making a Marinara sauce and adding the ribs to that? I have done that but not in the crock pot. Gives the sauce a pork flavor and it's great over pasta.
Hmmm.....never have done pork with Marinara sauce. I'll have to try it soon.

As to the original question, make up your own fajita type seasoning with some cumin, chile powder, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. I often use this type of homemade mix on pork in the crockpot. I throw in a can of tomatoes, some diced chiles and a few slices of jalapeno if I have it. We shred the meat and eat it with tortillas or over rice and beans.

For a more Chinese inspired pork dish, I use soy sauce, garlic, a little bit of brown sugar, and some Chinese 5 spice powder over pork chops or a pork roast in the crockpot. It would work well with ribs and even better if you put them under the broiler for a few minutes after cooking. I shred any leftovers and add BBQ sauce the next day for sandwiches. It's a different taste than cooking in BBQ sauce.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:48 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Hmmm.....never have done pork with Marinara sauce. I'll have to try it soon.

As to the original question, make up your own fajita type seasoning with some cumin, chile powder, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. I often use this type of homemade mix on pork in the crockpot. I throw in a can of tomatoes, some diced chiles and a few slices of jalapeno if I have it. We shred the meat and eat it with tortillas or over rice and beans.

For a more Chinese inspired pork dish, I use soy sauce, garlic, a little bit of brown sugar, and some Chinese 5 spice powder over pork chops or a pork roast in the crockpot. It would work well with ribs and even better if you put them under the broiler for a few minutes after cooking. I shred any leftovers and add BBQ sauce the next day for sandwiches. It's a different taste than cooking in BBQ sauce.
I brown the meat a little before adding to the sauce. The sauce cooks all day about 6-7 hours on low.
I have also use pork stew cubes, and boneless pork ribs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink