Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2016, 09:15 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,047,023 times

Advertisements

OK. My sister and I were reminiscing about the food we remember from our holidays and family get togethers. I'm 62 and she's 68. One item we remember was a special bread that we have never seen again in our adult lives. It was as I recall always in ring form with square cuts or sometimes braided. It had the smoothest creamy beige colored crust that was as hard as eggshells but much thicker. The inside was pure white and as soft as cotton. As we recall it was called Sicilian bread.

Last weekend we spent Saturday on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, which was awesome. My first trip there I'm sorry to say. Looked everywhere without success. Of course the bakeries all have younger help so they had no clue what we were talking about.

Google was no help. Sicilian Bread pics all had normal looking crusts. Anyone else remember this bread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,438,041 times
Is it something like Easter bread..?

I know you didn't mention the eggs but perhaps the bread recipe without the eggs?

Old 09-27-2016, 10:11 AM

Default Not Easter Bread

No. It's not sweet at all and has no eggs. I cannot stress enough about the unique crust. Very smooth and hard with a unique creamy color. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:29 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,616,091 times
I think what you're describing is here in the 12" ring loaf,
and it can be ordered.
Specialty breads offered by Cardinal Bakery, a wholesale bakery in Sterling, Virginia specializing in brick oven breads

Old 09-27-2016, 10:39 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,447,836 times
"Hard and smooth crust" make me think at something brushed on the surface. Usually I've heard of brushing the surface with egg yolk (which make the surface look yellowish like this), or milk (here a "bread braid" brushed with milk). Some simpler bread recipes, that makes the bread with smooth and hard crust, just brush oil on the surface (example).

The really white and soft inside makes me think about some milk addition instead.

I have also tried to search "pane siciliano" (Sicilian bread in Italian), but it didn't help much. The only results I get on Italian pages talk about bread made with flour of this variety of wheat, the same used for pasta, that makes the bread much heavier and yellower. So I'm practically sure that it is not the same thing.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:57 AM

Thumbs up Definite Possibility!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I think what you're describing is here in the 12" ring loaf,
and it can be ordered.
Specialty breads offered by Cardinal Bakery, a wholesale bakery in Sterling, Virginia specializing in brick oven breads

It does look similar. I have saved the link and will try it. Thanks very much.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
"Hard and smooth crust" make me think at something brushed on the surface. Usually I've heard of brushing the surface with egg yolk (which make the surface look yellowish like this), or milk (here a "bread braid" brushed with milk). Some simpler bread recipes, that makes the bread with smooth and hard crust, just brush oil on the surface (example).

The really white and soft inside makes me think about some milk addition instead.

I have also tried to search "pane siciliano" (Sicilian bread in Italian), but it didn't help much. The only results I get on Italian pages talk about bread made with flour of this variety of wheat, the same used for pasta, that makes the bread much heavier and yellower. So I'm practically sure that it is not the same thing.

I really don't think it was brushed with anything. The crust was a very consistent texture and color. Your examples are too yellow/gold . Thanks.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:01 AM

To the poster who messaged me about R.I. that sounds like an excellent lead. Haven't been there in a while so this is a good excuse. Have a few ideas now. Thanks to all who posted.

Buon Appetito!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink