Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 05:03 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL!!!! Then ask someone to calculate the cost for you.
JHC!!!!!!!!!!! That's what I'm telling people to do! I'm not the idiot here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 05:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Could have fooled me. Another scam is the 2 for $6 but if you buy one it's $3.99 type deals. 3 12 packs of soda for $11.99 but you must buy 3. More and more supermarkets are forcing people to buy in "bulk" to get any type of savings. Used to be you can buy one case of soda and save some but no it's $5.99 a case if you buy one.

Since when is a volume discount a scam? Most of us consider that a DEAL.

If a DEAL does not suit you, buy the smaller amount. Both prices are clearly stated.

As Mainebrokerman states above, we might have been born but we weren't born yesterday. We are readily capable of doing VERY BASIC arithmetic in our heads and determine what constitutes a good deal.

I also agree with Maine that we are paying some of the lowest prices on food in years.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:50 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Noticed this starting around the great recession (2009). Companies did not want to raise prices, so they cut quantities.
It happened to candy bars in the 1960s.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:05 PM

61,673 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:
Could have fooled me. Another scam is the 2 for $6 but if you buy one it's $3.99 type deals. 3 12 packs of soda for $11.99 but you must buy 3. More and more supermarkets are forcing people to buy in "bulk" to get any type of savings. Used to be you can buy one case of soda and save some but no it's $5.99 a case if you buy one.
I am glad you mentioned it here, and while I don't consider is a scam, I am not appreciating those bulk savings. The other day, I saw discounted milk: "buy 2 gal, get third free". How many people actually buy 3 gal milk at once? Or some other odd savings, but you need to buy 3 or 4 items to get it.
They are just tweaking price tags and offering "special" promotions to get us to spend more than we normally would.

Another thing I noticed is when they post deals that are not easy to make the math. Like 3 for $4, or 4 for $7, 3 for $11 .... etc. I see those deals mainly in stores located in the poorest parts of town, where people are not enough educated to do the maths in head, or even willing to find out how much a single piece cost.
I am not sure if 4 for $7 looks better than $1.75 each, if that supposed to be a marketing catch.
It just confuses some people. Some even buy 4, needed or not, because they think that's the deal.
That's often the case with fruit: 6 limes for a $1, and someone is just buying 4... Most just "guesstimate" how much they will have to pay for it. What's wrong with $0.17 each?
You don't see much of this in rich neighborhoods. I guess, rich people don't care for this "pricing psychology".

Old 12-02-2016, 06:07 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Folks this is not math this is simple division. Wonder why we don't have jobs... to many are clueless about the basics but we know what the Hollywood crowd is up to and they too are clueless. God help america
I learned division in math class. Did you learn it somewhere else?

Perhaps some people can't get a job because they can't properly fill out an application or compose even a simple resume.

God help america, indeed.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:20 PM

61,673 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Noticed that not one company out there have passed the cost savings with the lower price of gas on to consumers.

Everything from airline, food delivery, transportation, and produce companies hiked prices a lot when the price of gas avg almost $4/gallon and that was in 2014. In 2015 as gas price decreased, the price of food & services have not dropped but increased even though the gas prices are about 30-50% less than they were back in 2014.

I think that as soon people get used to higher prices, because of the demand, there is no "need" to lower the prices. Retail rather temporarily lower the price to the previous level calling it special, discount or bargain.
Most people don't really remember how much things cost, so they will sturm the stores thinking they are saving money. It works for the marketing

With the gas prices being so low for so long, are the airline ticket prices falling? No. You might get occasionally lucky with a temporary price drop, but that's what they want you to feel... lucky

Last edited by elnina; 12-02-2016 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 07:18 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Since when is a volume discount a scam? Most of us consider that a DEAL.

If a DEAL does not suit you, buy the smaller amount. Both prices are clearly stated.

As Mainebrokerman states above, we might have been born but we weren't born yesterday. We are readily capable of doing VERY BASIC arithmetic in our heads and determine what constitutes a good deal.

I also agree with Maine that we are paying some of the lowest prices on food in years.
It's a deal when it's not forced to buy multiple amounts to get any savings. If the deal is 2/6 and i just want to buy one it should only cost $3 not $4 if I buy one. That is why i think it's a scam. Maybe scam isn't the right word more like marketing manipulation. Give the perception you are saving when you buy 2 but you only need one and the other might go to waste.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:18 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,199 times
Quote:
Why are we allowing these big food corporations to sell us smaller portions for the same price or sometimes higher prices? The newest scam in the cookies like oreos etc.. they call "thins". I truly believe they created these "new" products called thins is to save on ingredients and pocket more money but yet the price is still the same as the regular sized oreos. It's not just oreos it's other cookies all i see now its thin thin thin.

Same with soda they sell these mini cans 6 packs but they are like the same price or more as a 6 pack or even a 12 pack of the regular sized cans.

And not only food things like laundry detergent. They claim the smaller bottle is "super concentrate" but seems the same to me as when the bottle was bigger. How would a regular consumer know the difference? We don't and they know that because whatever product is on the shelf we pretty much have to buy.
It's inflation. Gasoline used to be 48-cents a gallon.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:19 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
The other issue is all the companies going to plastic bottles to save money and that savings isn't passed on to the consumer either.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:35 PM

41,960 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Not what i mean. How does a consumer know if the liquid detergent is "super concentrate" when it comes out of the bottle looking the same as the regular. I think it's a scam and i still use the same amount of detergent i used too before everything went "super concentrated"
That's your fault for not following the instructions on the label.

Quote:
I'm talking about paying the same price or higher for less quantity. Yes i guess a lot of people are more sensitive on price hikes but price hikes combined with making products smaller doesn't fly with me.
Whether it flies with you or not is immaterial to the manufacturer. When faced with increasing prices or reducing quantity on the same item, most would rather reduce quantity because that will result in fewer complaints from consumers. Either way, it's a price increase. If you can't figure that out, go back to third grade math class.

Quote:
Could have fooled me. Another scam is the 2 for $6 but if you buy one it's $3.99 type deals.
That's not a scam, it's a sale. And you're free to pass on the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It happened to candy bars in the 1960s.
And coffee during the recessions of the 70s and 80s. Not a new concept at all.

Quote:
It's a deal when it's not forced to buy multiple amounts to get any savings. If the deal is 2/6 and i just want to buy one it should only cost $3 not $4 if I buy one. That is why i think it's a scam. Maybe scam isn't the right word more like marketing manipulation. Give the perception you are saving when you buy 2 but you only need one and the other might go to waste.
Then don't buy in bulk. Or is that too complicated of a concept?

Quote:
The other issue is all the companies going to plastic bottles to save money and that savings isn't passed on to the consumer either.
Once again, you're not seeing the big picture. But it's pointless to try to explain it to you. Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products