Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:20 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times

Advertisements

I have had good luck with Pompeian. I'm allergic to soybean oil and will have a reaction within a couple of minutes if I consume it. I have reacted to some other olive oils, including some fancy ones, but have never had a problem with Pompeian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I second Tunisian Olive Oil, great price and quality. Trader Joe's regularly carries a well-priced unfiltered brand that's excellent. The Next Time You're at Trader Joe's, Snatch This Olive Oil | GQ

Old 02-21-2017, 11:49 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I second Tunisian Olive Oil, great price and quality. Trader Joe's regularly carries a well-priced unfiltered brand that's excellent. The Next Time You're at Trader Joe's, Snatch This Olive Oil | GQ
Thanks, Kyle. I have a trip to TJ's coming up. I think I'll try Tunisian Olive Oil.

My usual favorite is that packaged by Giant Eagle Market District, the "gourmet" division of our local (Pittsburgh) chain. It has the best flavor and smell of any EVOO I've tried in the last five or ten years.

Market District Extra Virgin Olive Oil 17.00 oz Giant Eagle

Old 02-21-2017, 12:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
I would trust Kirkland brand. Costco obeys the law and I doubt they would want to be on any "fake olive oil" list.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 02-21-2017, 03:24 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,100 times
Trader Joe's organic and California Ranch are real olive oil. I prefer the latter, though.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:26 PM

130,124 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Costco is not in production of the olive oil, so that is what I would call a dumb trust.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:32 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,456 times
I do buy a bit of olive oil still - and I try to make sure it is an American brand for now because I felt I couldn't be sure any more what was in the bottle. But, I have become more addicted to Avocado oil lately so I buy a lot more of that than olive.

As for Costco .. I like Kirkland brands for many things but I think they got 'duped' in the watered-down honey scandal didn't they? That is only to say that I am pretty sure they are not intentionally duping anyone themselves but things happen - and they do try to sell cheaper than most when it comes to large quantities so not everything they sell is probably beyond reproach.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:42 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,537 times
I would trust U.S. producers who are members of the California Olive Oil Council over most European suppliers.

Quote:
When you purchase olive oil with the COOC Seal of Certification, you know you are buying the best extra virgin olive oil made in California.

Let’s face it: many of the olive oils on the market today claim to be extra virgin, but aren’t. To give consumers confidence they are purchasing 100% extra virgin olive oil, the COOC created the COOC Seal Certification Program.

To meet the criteria for the COOC Seal, each producer must first submit a laboratory analysis which measures specific parameters that indicate the careful handling and storage of the olives and oil. No chemicals or extreme heat may be used during the extraction process.
Next, the oil is submitted to the COOC Taste Panel for sensory evaluation. This panel of certified tasters conducts a blind taste-test to ensure the oil is free of defects. Flavor defects indicate the use of poor quality olives, or that problems occurred during milling or storage. If olives are damaged (poor handling, moldy, frost), or they are not milled within 24 hours of being harvested, the oil will not be top quality (extra virgin). Milling at a high temperature (over 86°F) can also negatively impact flavor and quality.
Only after the oil has passed both tests does it earn the right to display the COOC Seal. Purchasing olive oil with the COOC Seal means you are buying fresh, California-grown, 100% extra virgin olive oil — the healthiest and most delicious olive oil on the market today.
Here's a list of Olive Oils which carry the COOC seal, it's quite lengthy:

https://www.cooc.com/seal-certified-oils/

Old 02-21-2017, 05:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I do buy a bit of olive oil still - and I try to make sure it is an American brand for now because I felt I couldn't be sure any more what was in the bottle. But, I have become more addicted to Avocado oil lately so I buy a lot more of that than olive.

As for Costco .. I like Kirkland brands for many things but I think they got 'duped' in the watered-down honey scandal didn't they? That is only to say that I am pretty sure they are not intentionally duping anyone themselves but things happen - and they do try to sell cheaper than most when it comes to large quantities so not everything they sell is probably beyond reproach.
I have tried Avocado oil twice and was disappointed both times. It didn't seem to have any flavor. I checked to see where our Sam's oil comes from: sure enough it is for Italy.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:02 PM

743 posts, read 875,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-...te-label/52656

This also explains why Costco switched to Greek olive oil for one year. Costco is committed to providing quality products at a low price for it's members. I don't "blindly trust" companies, nor do I think any company is "beyond reproach," but I do trust Costco to do the work and research to bring superior products to their locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink