Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 04:12 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Five years old.
Cannot even take a taste of liver without gagging.
Parents obviously having a bad day.
Being made to sit at the table until finishing the liver on my plate.
8:00 pm comes and I can go, no liver for me!
Or ever again.

I suppose I should give it another go after all these decades, but that memory remains stronger than the smell of liver and onions. Ewwww.
That's less of an argument against liver than against forcing a child to eat something he or she dislikes. My parents encouraged me to at least try anything placed before me, but if I did, and truly disliked it, they wisely respected my feelings and didn't force the issue. As a result, I grew up willing to try just about any food, and became an adult with very few true culinary dislikes, other things that are just badly prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 08:22 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Definitely use "calves liver" not beef. It's more tender and mild. Here's how my mom made it and I love it.

Remove as much "silver skin" as you can from the liver. If you can't remove a part of it, slash it lightly with a very sharp knife. Dredge in seasoned flour. Fry up two or three slices of bacon in the cast iron skillet. Remove the bacon and quickly sear the liver on both sides. arrange the liver in the pan, cover with a layer of sliced onions, s&p, then a layer of peeled, thinly sliced russet potatos, more s&p, and then add a half cup or so of water gently to the pan and cover immediately. Reduce heat to med-low and simmer until the potatos are tender, about 25 minutes. The water and the flour and the bacon fat in the bottom of the pan make a gravy. Serve liver with onions on top, potatos on the side crumble bacon over it and serve with peas.

edited to add: I converted my roommate, confirmed liver hater, with this version. I made it for myself and her BF. She was grossed out and was avoiding the kitchen. Then she thought it looked and smelled good. She tried it and declared it great and said she never knew why she hated it before.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:33 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Twice people have said shoe leather, but no that's not it at all, at least not to me. It's more of a soft, almost mealy sort of mouth feel, sort of like I'm trying to eat someone's tongue or something, hard to explain, but not pleasant and not like eating a steak, roast, or a burger for texture. Maybe that's what initially turned me off, because the mouth feel wasn't at all what I expected it to feel like the first time I sat down to a plate of liver and onions.
That's how it seems to me.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:45 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I'm convinced that parsnips, asparagus and liver were given to mothers, as a means of punishing their children.
I like them.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:53 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I'm convinced that parsnips, asparagus and liver were given to mothers,
as a means of punishing their children.
Some sure do seem to use them in that way.

I'm convinced that bad parents have really bad ideas about foods
and will ruin their kids interest in new foods in the name of thrift or worse discipline.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:15 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Oh hell no.
+1, lol!

Old 04-02-2017, 12:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

When I was. Pregnant...Liver and onions were my craving!! Couldn't eat enough. It was a sure sign I was lacking some nutrient it provided.
It's iron-rich, like most offal. It's typically recommended for severe iron-deficient anemics (such as myself), pregnant or not, and anemia is common in pregnancy.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Does anyone know what "OCS" is???
Yes. I'm a military spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink