Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:15 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times

Advertisements

One problem is I have a close friend who LOVES going out to eat at fast food joints because it's cheap and he doesn't cook much. Literally, everyday, sometimes, twice a day he will go out to eat. Surprisingly, he isn't too overweight because of it. So every time I hang out with him, we usually go to a cheap fast food joint. We hang out maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

I think the fast food is making me sick though. I notice when I don't eat it for a few days, my stomach feels less bloated and my nose doesn't itch as much. And I also feel like I have more energy and more alert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 01:19 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Your symptoms suggest you have a wheat allergy. How about ordering a salad or leaving the bun off your burger, and see if that helps.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:49 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
When you hang out, suggest someplace else or have him over to eat something you've cooked--you can start setting a good example for him.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:24 PM

619 posts, read 575,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
One problem is I have a close friend who LOVES going out to eat at fast food joints because it's cheap and he doesn't cook much. Literally, everyday, sometimes, twice a day he will go out to eat. Surprisingly, he isn't too overweight because of it. So every time I hang out with him, we usually go to a cheap fast food joint. We hang out maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

I think the fast food is making me sick though. I notice when I don't eat it for a few days, my stomach feels less bloated and my nose doesn't itch as much. And I also feel like I have more energy and more alert.
Why on earth would you subject yourself to that garbage?even if it's not literally making you sick - healthy, it isn't.

Either meet your friend during non meal hours, or meet your friend for an activity and not a meal (e.g., sports event, pub, museum...), or just grab a coffee while your friend eats the fast food.

Tbh, as much as l love my friends, I couldn't handle hanging out in a fast food place a few times a week. The smell in them drives me crazy.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:45 PM

876 posts, read 813,740 times
When you're young, maybe less than 30 or so you can get away with eating fast food several times a week, especially if you're very active and don't have a weight issue.

Personally I quit fast food entirely about 7 years ago and definitely have more energy, my weight hasn't changed by more than 5 lbs and mentally I feel sharper.

Prior to quitting, I was eating out 5 days a week at one of the many chain fast food restaurants near my job. I really believe it was slowly killing me.

Now I make all of my meals and don't eat out at all, even regular restaurants. The portions served are about double the calories a person should have. I could eat out at and make healthier choices, but I can't really afford to.

Save money, be healthy, eat less, and cook for yourself!

Old 05-05-2017, 03:02 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post

I used to as well and a lot. I haven't eaten Mc Donalds, BK, KFC, Popeyes or any other fast food in almost two months, in addition to cutting out soda. I've officialy "divorced" these establishments, lol.

The redeeming benefits have been feeling less bloated, more energetic and easier for me to lose weight. As one person mentioned the smell alone is sickening walking into one.

The closest thing to a fast food restaurant I patronize is Boston Market..At least I know it's not fried and/or soaking in grease.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:43 PM

939 posts, read 788,580 times
Aside from eating unhealthy foods, most people don't chew their food properly and that can lead to digestive and weight problems as well.

Add the fact that the foods there are completely unhealthy, from the quality of oils used down to the fact that they put a little sugar in just about everything, buns, fries etc. to help make them kid-friendly as well.

Couple that with the I'm in the fast-food hurry up and eat- get back to work mode; just inhale and swallow-no need to chew properly and get my saliva into it, is now a recipe for disaster.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
The mixture of fast food and alcohol to kill reality will make one sick often.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:56 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
The closest thing to a fast food restaurant I patronize is Boston Market..At least I know it's not fried and/or soaking in grease.
But no shortage of salt. Anything in moderation.
I like any and all of it on occasion.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:38 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times
You can get a salad at a fast food place. I cringe at the price, though, compared to what I can make it for at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink