Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 03:28 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times

Advertisements

It might turn out to be cool. I hope it does. But if Amazon gets into an all out war with WalMart or whoever else, that could eventually change pay rates worldwide for many more people (including people here) to minimum wage and below. With no cap on prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 05:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Wait, Amazon sells Trader Joes nuts?

WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS??!!
WEll I don't know how I found it out, but they do and I have ordered them for our son in law a couple of times. They sell a few other T. Joe's non parishable items as well.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
It might turn out to be cool. I hope it does. But if Amazon gets into an all out war with WalMart or whoever else, that could eventually change pay rates worldwide for many more people (including people here) to minimum wage and below. With no cap on prices.
I have no idea what you are talking about? Maybe you could explain a little better.

BTW for anyone who thinks those who shop at Wholefoods are not the same as those who shop at WalMart, you really haven't lived in areas that are somewhat affluent but have both stores near by. We have good friends right here that do all their shopping at WalMart, unless they are going to be near our newest Whole Foods, then they stop in Whole Foods. They have the money to buy and sell us all. I know a few other families who do the same, including our one daughter. Though the 2 companies draw somewhat a different crowd, there are those who do use both. It is like those who will go to Aldi's for some things and finish their shopping at Fresh Market. We often do that. Wholefoods is a little too far for us to go, so we will stop at Fresh Market for meat, particularly and then head to Aldi's.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:00 AM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
Here's my take on this.
Whole Foods is expensive, theres no doubt about that. It would be nice to get groceries from Whole Foods delivered, if that's what Amazon wants to do.

But, my point is that when I went to Whole Foods, I felt like I didn't have to worry about the quality of my food. I knew I wouldn't find high fructose corn syrup, red 40 food dye, crap. The beauty products don't test on animals. Now, if it's come to the Walmartization of Whole Foods, then its' going to go downhill, fast.

At the very least, I hope I can find my no HFC products, and organic groceries on Amazon. Just get through the landmine of reading product labels.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Bezos just went into a whole lot of debt for a grocery chain that's having money problems. The were laying off workers just a year ago and reorganizing the stores/products/pricing.

This purchase will most likely see a drop in wages/layoffs for the current workers and a Amazon like restructuring.
I can see it now, timers on employees to fill orders/check out customers with slower employees getting the ax like happens in their fulfillment centers.
I don't see Whole Foods continuing as it is now both in products offered and employee perks,pay and service levels and all out culture.
I see this as Bezos buying his dream of Amazon food distribution instead of creating it from scratch.

Hope he has real,real deep pockets for this one...

Old 06-17-2017, 11:48 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Bezos just went into a whole lot of debt for a grocery chain that's having money problems. The were laying off workers just a year ago and reorganizing the stores/products/pricing.
They tried the Amazon GO convenience stores which have no clerks. Presumably they are ready to try it using part or eventually all of the Whole Foods store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk
It's been over a decade since the IBM RFID Commercial - The Future Market was shown on television (for millennials, television is like internet protocol videos, but you can't interact).

Old 06-17-2017, 03:14 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
[quote=nmnita;48532627]I have no idea what you are talking about? Maybe you could explain a little better. QUOTE]
I was talking about a potentially negative effect on the already low wages of retail workers. Corporate wars don't always benefit everyone.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:38 AM

[quote=LiaLia;48537496]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about? Maybe you could explain a little better. QUOTE]
I was talking about a potentially negative effect on the already low wages of retail workers. Corporate wars don't always benefit everyone.
And for the skill it takes to work in retail, I am not sure I agree with you on the already low wages. I thought that was what you meant. Like fast food restaurants, many retail workers only work part time and the jobs are just a starting point for many. I will also add, some specialty retail establishments pay fairly well just like grogery store workers make more than min wages for sure. but that is a topic for another time and place.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:51 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
I also shop at Wallmart, and Whole Foods (as well as Amazon.)

Old 06-19-2017, 04:53 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
whole foods im sure looks very attractive to buy (as grocery stores goes)
they do not get in price wars as most of the grocery industry does...they do not cater to the poor folks - what % of sales is food stamps??? very very minimal..

the stores can return an average 45-60 % margins while most grocery stores are collectively around half that amount

if amazon buys whole foods to have more of an online status ... its focus wont be on price with whole foods... if they bought kroger if they bought wegmans, hannaford,,,,then they could also compete well on price...

their is an upside to online purchases in maine we were a huge papermill state with all the forests (maine is 94% trees) now many of these mills are converting to making cardboard...for all the boxed deliveries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink