Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 09:58 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

This is what I use for nuts and other small chopping jobs. Holds more than a coffee grinder and the glad can be removed for cleaning.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-DEC...&wl13=&veh=sem

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-14-2017 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 10:00 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I have a 7 cup Cuisinart food processor and in the past used that to grind nuts, but now that I got this stick blender, it would be so much more convenient than taking out the full processor, so just wonder if it could do the job.
I chop nuts with my Cuisinart stick blender. But I think you should consult your owner’s manual. You could also check to see if the blender is sold on Amazon, and read reviews there for more info.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
I use a food processor for making nut flours. But the immersion blender has the same mechanism as the coffee grinder so it should work on very small batches. Try it and let us know.

Must share, I cleaned out my immersion blender with my finger while still plugging in and accidentally sliced open said finger. Hospital run, stitches and felt pretty stupid. Still tingles after several years. Very careful ever since, needless to say.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Just find a smaller capacity food processor and dedicate it just for almonds and such. There should be some inexpensive ones out there. They may not be of the highest quality, but depending on how often you use it, they should last a while.
It's waaaaay cheaper to pick one of these up for $12/$15. Food processors are generally more costly. A blade coffee bean grinder works really well for chopping nuts quickly and with no mess. When we switched to a burr grinder for coffee beans, we put our old handheld blade grinder to use this way. It also works well to grind rolled oats more finely for baby cereal, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Immersion blender (aka "stick blender", "hand blender")-coffee-bean-grinder.jpg  

Old 12-14-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I use a food processor for making nut flours. But the immersion blender has the same mechanism as the coffee grinder so it should work on very small batches. Try it and let us know.

Must share, I cleaned out my immersion blender with my finger while still plugging in and accidentally sliced open said finger. Hospital run, stitches and felt pretty stupid. Still tingles after several years. Very careful ever since, needless to say.
From the first time I used my immersion blender, I had this horrific image in my brain. Needless to say, I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS unplug it before I attempt any cleaning. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Nightmare material.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:11 PM

939 posts, read 788,361 times
There was no immediate wattage listings for your unit on the web, but since it is two speeds, one may be rated as high as 600 watts, which will surely handle chopping nuts.

I wouldn't think the blade issue would come into play as far as breaking, more like getting dull.

I read that if they can chop ice, you're good to go.

Making nut butter takes about 10 minutes, but it has to be done in short spurts for the motor's sake, according to the Magic Bullet IB reviews.

Like mentioned previously, it wouldn't hurt to call customer service.

I've only used mine for soups and sauces.

Sometimes I use whole tomatoes for a pasta sauce, then use the IB to break up half of them, which then turns the red color into orange, which then makes the sauce taste like persimmons.

Sorry, couldn't pass that up.

Obviously, the orange coloring (due to the olive oil?) doesn't alter the taste at all.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
There was no immediate wattage listings for your unit on the web, but since it is two speeds, one may be rated as high as 600 watts, which will surely handle chopping nuts.

I wouldn't think the blade issue would come into play as far as breaking, more like getting dull.

I read that if they can chop ice, you're good to go.
Mine (Oster brand) actually specifically says it is NOT to be used to chop ice.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:14 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Whenever I need to chop nuts, I just put them in a Ziploc bag and use the flat end of a kitchen mallet to pound the heck out of them. Works pretty well for my needs and it's also fun and vaguely therapeutic.

I'm not usually dealing with a large volume of nuts, though.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Whenever I need to chop nuts, I just put them in a Ziploc bag and use the flat end of a kitchen mallet to pound the heck out of them. Works pretty well for my needs and it's also fun and vaguely therapeutic.

I'm not usually dealing with a large volume of nuts, though.
I’ ve done this too!

Old 12-14-2017, 04:24 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I’ ve done this too!
Me, three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink