Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:49 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

My dad was the son of Italian immigrants and never heard of “pasta fazool” (pasta e fagioli in proper Italian). It must have been popular among immigrant families of southern Italian descent.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasta_e_fagioli

Old 10-14-2018, 06:06 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
I don't know if it's authentic Italian from the southern region or not. I think it was popularized by Olive Garden to be honest. It's very filling.

I make it in a crockpot. I think of it as Italian chili.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:39 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I don't know if it's authentic Italian from the southern region or not. I think it was popularized by Olive Garden to be honest.
I ate pasta fagioli (we pronounced it "fazool") as a child, courtesy of my father's childhood next-door neighbor, a native of Naples, long before there was Olive Garden.

Last edited by jay5835; 10-14-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
We ate it long before Olive Garden existed also. My family's recipe is tomato based and so good on a cold day.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:43 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I ate pasta fagioli (we pronounced it "fazool") as a child, courtesy of my father's childhood next-door neighbor, a native of Naples, long before there was Olive Garden.
Popularized means it came to be more widely known to those without Italian family/friends. Wasn't saying it didn't exist before then.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:51 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
I don't know if it's authentic Italian from the southern region or not. I think it was popularized by Olive Garden to be honest. It's very filling.

I make it in a crockpot. I think of it as Italian chili.
I had it long before Olive Garden existed, both by Italians who made it and in Italian restaurants.

The first time, I was 20 and had just started working as a secretary in New York City. 1979. I was in a construction field office, and there was a full kitchen. This little Italian construction inspector started a huge pot of pasta fagioli/fazool/fazhool one morning. He put salt pork in the bottom of the pot, then garlic, tomatoes, white and red kidney beans that he partially mashed, and little macaroni about the size of half an elbow macaroni. Let it cook all morning and gave it out at lunchtime with crusty bread. It was wonderful. I've never had any as good since.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:54 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Popularized means it came to be more widely known to those without Italian family/friends. Wasn't saying it didn't exist before then.
OK. I've been to an Olive Garden a couple of times. Didn't know they even had it on the menu, but Olive Garden is the only way a lot of people know Italian food. A lot of Italians settled in the NY/NJ region, but not everywhere in the U.S.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:17 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
We love it. It's pasta [e] fagiole, and I already have it in the freezer. It's a fall/winter staple around here.

And we never called it "pasta fazool."

Old 10-15-2018, 05:45 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
I have been singing about pasta fagioli since I was a child. Remember those follow the bouncing ball sing-a-long cartoons? That's Amore was one of the songs. I still sing it all the time and my six year old now joins in. I know, I know I am old!

As for eating it I have been doing that since I was a kid too. It wasn't super common but occasionally someone would make it. Now every couple years I will cook up a batch. It is not my favorite but every now and then I crave it.

To Mighty Queen's point I guess I forget sometimes that food choices were/are different for different regions of the country. Since I grew up in eastern Massachusetts Italian food was just food to us. It was so prevalent that I never once thought of it as ethnic.

Last edited by magicshark; 10-15-2018 at 06:00 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 06:41 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
It must have been popular among immigrant families of southern Italian descent.
Yes, it was.

Grains and legumes, plenty of protein, easy to prepare and, accompanied with salad and olive oil, a full and fully nutritious meal by itself, and INEXPENSIVE.

Not like the overpriced sugary and otherwise processed crap masquerading as food too easily available to most people nowadays.

Yes, it's possible to overeat pasta fagioli and get fat.

Anyway, grains and legumes, just like Cubans and other Latin Americans eat lots of rice and beans, fully nutritious, simple and inexpensive, though overeating it without offsetting amounts of exercise leads to weight gain.

In other parts of the world, it's lentils and rice.

Or pasta lenticchie.

Grains and legumes, then, the feeding grasses of earth the world over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink