Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2018, 08:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Also, do you find a big difference between types of pellets? Like mesquite, oak, cherry, etc.

We are super excited about trying it out!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 09:03 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,264 times
BRISKET

Try everything and most anything and be sure to write everything down

Old 11-17-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
BRISKET

Try everything and most anything and be sure to write everything down
Great minds think alike - my husband wants to try a brisket first!

Old 11-17-2018, 09:08 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Also, do you find a big difference between types of pellets? Like mesquite, oak, cherry, etc.

Well what about the T-day turkey? Grab a copy of "Smokin with Myron Mixon" and go for the "Cupcake Thighs". You will not be disappointed. Whole chickens are also great. Ribs are also great. Brisket (whole Packer) and beef ribs. I prefer fruit and nut woods for smoking. I don't have a pellet grill/smoker, but know people that love them. Make some homemade sausages and smoke them, andouille, keilbasa, and chaurice. Pork shoulder/butt for pulled pork. I ordered some peach splits for our turkey on the BGE.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:02 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,256,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

This is a good site for smoking info.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

Old 11-17-2018, 06:35 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,385,101 times
Pork butt.
Baby back ribs.

I like to mix fruit wood (apple or cherry for me) with hickory.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:37 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,427 times
We've had a pellet smoker/grill for about 2 years now, apart from all the delicious slow cooked meats we've tried my favourite is spatchcock chicken, rub with your favourite spices and cook 325 ish for about 2 hours, alternatively put on a low smoke for hours and hours until it just about falls off the bone.

Corned beef soaked for 2 days ( water changed daily) then herbed and spiced and smoked makes delicious pastrami

Old 11-18-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Well what about the T-day turkey? Grab a copy of "Smokin with Myron Mixon" and go for the "Cupcake Thighs". You will not be disappointed. Whole chickens are also great. Ribs are also great. Brisket (whole Packer) and beef ribs. I prefer fruit and nut woods for smoking. I don't have a pellet grill/smoker, but know people that love them. Make some homemade sausages and smoke them, andouille, keilbasa, and chaurice. Pork shoulder/butt for pulled pork. I ordered some peach splits for our turkey on the BGE.
Thank you and yum, this all sounds great!

I don't want to experiment with a turkey for Thanksgiving this year but it might happen next year, who knows? I think we are going to try out pork chops along with corn on the cob today - something simple. We are going to do a brisket Tuesday! We got, I think apple pellets and mesquite pellets.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
We've had a pellet smoker/grill for about 2 years now, apart from all the delicious slow cooked meats we've tried my favourite is spatchcock chicken, rub with your favourite spices and cook 325 ish for about 2 hours, alternatively put on a low smoke for hours and hours until it just about falls off the bone.

Corned beef soaked for 2 days ( water changed daily) then herbed and spiced and smoked makes delicious pastrami
Sounds great! I love that chicken idea especially.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:10 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
I've had my pellet grill (Camp Chef Woodwind SG) for about six months. Absolutely love it!! I also have a Weber Smokey Mountain, and a offset firebox stickburner, and the pellet grill is by far my favorite.

Everything I've cooked so far has been incredible. Seriously, 100% success ratio. That's how good it is. I've cooked ribs, pork butt, chicken parts, whole (spatchcocked) chicken, whole turkey breast (but not a whole turkey). I haven't done a brisket yet, plan on doing one in the next couple weeks.

I love the ability to set the temp and pretty much leave it. Now when I smoke for friends, I don't have to babysit the food 24/7. You still have to pay attention, and baste or flip as the recipe calls for, but you don't have to babysit the temp or wood. And the steady temps turn out much more tender meat than anything else I've used. There's a reason many competition teams use a pellet grill.

I use these pellets:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00819OICI

It's a nice mix of hardwoods, top quality, but no oak or mesquite. Good price, too. This is a good mix for 90% of what you might smoke. Typically for brisket I would use oak, but I haven't done a brisket yet. I will probably try a brisket using these, and then a brisket using an oak mix, and see if there is any difference. YMMV.

Does your grill have an integrated food thermometer? It is essential for knowing how your meat is cooking. Mine has a temp gauge for the smoker itself, and two probes for food. Knowing where your meat is temp-wise is critical if you want delicious tender meat.

I brined my chickens, and they were the most tender chicken I've ever had. I'm cooking them again tomorrow for out of town guests. First time I've ever brined.

You might try a pork butt first. They're pretty easy to cook; as long as you give them enough time, and cook them low & slow, they are easy-peasy. I've smoked butts both as-is, and injected, and find when you inject they stay juicier, and require less attention on the grill. Allow some time, if you put a 8-10 lb pork butt on at 9am, it will be ready to shred by dinner time. Here's one recipe, you don't have to follow it to the tee, but it gives you a starting place:
How to Smoke Pork Butts | Pulled Pork Recipe | BBQ Recipe | HowToBBQRight.com

Enjoy your new pellet grill, and let us know how it's going! Happy to answer any other questions you might have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink