Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 06:23 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Lays regular/original potato chips are so thin as to be fragile, far too salty, and leave an unpleasant engineered-grease film in the mouth. No discernable plant source such as peanut oil or coconut oil, just a slightly sludgelike old-used-oil kind of feel and taste. YUCK.

A fairly thin, crackly-crunchy potato chip with good flavor is Cape Cod’s Reduced Fat chips. The regular ones are good, too, but the reduced fat have a lighter feel.

Now watch, Lays or some other mainstream big company will buy a majority share of the small, higher-quality chip companies and start downgrading them, swapping in junk under the guise of the old company name. Like when Coca Cola bought Honest Tea. A popularm excellent former product quietly became unavailable, and now the lineup consists of caffeinated, sugary teas, just more of the same flavored sugar water every other big company sells.

They're my favorites in SoCal. When we're back in North Idaho I always buy Tim's Cascade Chips, regular flavor, unsalted. They're thick, but not greasy. Great flavor, and then you can salt them to your own specifications.

Before I went low-salt, I used to buy Stacks Regular Flavor chips. You can go through half a tube of those in no time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 06:52 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
pringles??
My first thought, too. However, Lays originals are probably a better answer as they are more of a traditional chip. Very greasy though.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I wouldn't consider Pringle chips. They're less than halfway composed of extruded potato pulp, and are mostly wheat, corn, and rice filler.

At best, they're a potato-flavored wafer.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:34 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Wise Foods/Snacks has a pretty interesting history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wise_Foods

Up until the conclusion of World War II, the company served a small, but loyal customer base in East-Central Pennsylvania; one morning in the winter of 1943-44, a storm curtain reportedly blew into the gas ring of a fryer, and the plant burned o the ground. This was wartime, and the supply of construction materials was strictly controlled by the War Production Board. Yet by the time hostilities ceased, the plant was rebuilt at about five times the capacity, and two new distributorships with anonymous-sounding names were ready to go in Metro New Yok and Northern New Jersey. Senior employees the Berwick plant set up distributorships in New England and Philadelphia.

Founder Earl V. Wise died in 1963 and the company was sold outright to Borden dairies; it was also around this time that concerns over distant corporate management led to the plant's unionization (Amalgamated Food Employees) and the scuttling of a popular profit-sharing plan. But throughout its history, the company has endured only one strike -- of about six weeks duration in the winter of 1973-74.

The Sixties were the most successful years for Wise Foods, with the introduction of flavored 9barbecue, sour cream and onion/garlic chips, plus popcorn and several tapioca-based snack items (Onion Rings and Pizza Wheels) Borden had also acquired Bronx-based Old London (Dipsy Doodles corn chips and Cheez Doodles cheese snacks). Borden had also acquired several regional snack producers: Buckeye, Golden Flake, Guys and Laura Scudder, and was planning to go head-to-head with Frito-Lay on a nationwide basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_London_Foods

Unfortunately, Borden over-extended itself in the early 1990's; the company was dismantled and many components, Wise among them, were sold off piecemeal.
Thanks for quoting Wise’s history here. Their potato chips were my far-and-ahead favorite as a kid growing up in the Boston area. I was crazy about the popcorn, too. We had a local company, Cain’s (out of Medford, I think) whose potato chips were my second favorite brand. Never seen these outside of eastern MA.

After I moved to CO, I was disappointed to not find any Wise products whatsoever. Then, maybe 10 yrs ago, an Asia grocery store on Denver’s Asian strip (Federal Blvd near Alameda) displayed a few bags of Wise potato chips. I bought one and eagerly tore it open. Bleah. NOT the same chips I ate as a kid! The Borden rendition had had supremely fresh potato flavor and the peanut oil used matched the chips perfectly. These new chips were totally forgettable in flavor and texture.

I’m not taking chances trying another New England classic that got sold out, either. RIP, Peggy Lawton cookies!

Old 05-15-2019, 09:52 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
At the Wise plant, Borden tried to copy Pringles with what were called "fabricated chips", to be marketed as "Stackables"; they had the distinctive yellow color for which Wise chips were, and still are noted, but tasted somewhat more bland; they were marketed in "fiber cans". The company gradually lost interest and the machinery sat unused in one corner of the plant for some time.

Not long after, Wise tried thicker-cut chips, marketed as "Cottage Fries", and very brittle kettle-cooked chips, sold as "New York Deli" chips and, for a short time, "City Spuds". Borden would come up with a slightly different concept, and Frito-Lay (now part of PepsiCo) would copy it -- or vice-versa. Innovation (which really wasn't all that innovative) was the name of the game.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-15-2019 at 10:06 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Frito Lays chips.
These.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:25 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Lays sour cream & onion...yum...

Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times
Thin chips won't hold up to the dip.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
They're my favorites in SoCal. When we're back in North Idaho I always buy Tim's Cascade Chips, regular flavor, unsalted. They're thick, but not greasy. Great flavor, and then you can salt them to your own specifications.

Before I went low-salt, I used to buy Stacks Regular Flavor chips. You can go through half a tube of those in no time...
Tim’s Cascade chips are super crunchy and tasty. But they definitely aren’t thin and light. I used to buy them often when we lived in WA. Back in CO now, they are rarer. But literally the last time I went to Safeway—I mean just before your post—I finally saw them in there! Yep, I bought a bag.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:22 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Wise potato chips. So thin you could probably read through them. Very crisp, too.
When I was kid, these were my father's go-to-chip. I never particularly liked them as they had way too many "burned" chips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink