Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 07:23 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times

Advertisements

I've smelled it. Have you? When I first encountered it, I couldn't understand where the smell was coming from. I don't blame Europe. If we used better processing, we wouldn't need it.

A Populist Win Could Dull Europe’s Appetite for Free Trade
By Jack Ewing

Chicken meat from the United States is routinely sterilized using a chlorinated wash, a method forbidden in the European Union. The American birds are banned and often cited, with some dread, as an all-purpose justification for putting up barriers to American products.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/b...elections.html

https://theworldnews.net/us-news/a-p...for-free-trade

Old 05-28-2019, 08:27 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I've never smelled it. But in France a pound of bonesless chicken breasts is roughly seven bucks. Here it's two bucks

I'll take the 'risk' of my chicken getting a chlorine bath.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:25 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Yeah, food here is cheaper, but everything taste like a cardboard, I rather pay more for the taste

BTW: was the price per pound or per kilo? I don't think they sell/price food per pound.

Last edited by elnina; 05-29-2019 at 02:45 AM..

Old 05-29-2019, 02:29 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I've found that food in the UK is better and cheaper. Their food is fresh and a lot of it is organic too. No chlorinated chicken and a lot fewer preservatives and artificial ingredients too. So it's tastier, healthier, and cheaper.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:12 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
if this is true...then I believe its one last was to kill bacteria …..salmonella.

if the chicken people didn't do this...they'd be writing articles....of how unsafe our chicken is..

I eat tons of chicken....never tasted the chlorinated flavor...

if this bothers you.....eat more pork

Old 05-29-2019, 06:29 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah, food here is cheaper, but everything taste like a cardboard, I rather pay more for the taste

BTW: was the price per pound or per kilo? I don't think they sell/price food per pound.
Pounds. The ex-accountant in me converted it. 😀

I do get what you mean about taste - with some things.

I had a lady who had chickens and sold fresh eggs living near me. Those did taste noticeably better scrambled or sunny side up. In an omelet or baked dish, you would NEVER notice the difference. Except in your pocket - $5 a dozen vs $1.25 a dozen.

Grass fed beef? THAT tastes like cardboard to me, which makes sense. It has no fat. Same with those organic, all natural chickens. Fat = flavor.

BUT the lamb in Britain can't be compared to any other. THAT'S one of the very few things that I'll but regardless of price. I don't know WHAT those farmers do that's different, maybe it's the breed of lamb, maybe it's when they harvest them. I'm assuming it's organic, farm raised, etc. Whatever - it's delicious. (Assuming you can get them to cook it medium rare!)

Old 05-29-2019, 12:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Most of the lack of taste is today's food is directly attributable to the lack of culinary skills. In the past, most home cooks actually knew how to cook food to get the best flavor. Nowadays, it is "throw it into the slow cooker for eight hours ..." and hope for the best.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Most of the lack of taste is today's food is directly attributable to the lack of culinary skills. In the past, most home cooks actually knew how to cook food to get the best flavor. Nowadays, it is "throw it into the slow cooker for eight hours ..." and hope for the best.
IN 1975 88% of the food dollar was purchased at grocery store to take home food items and prepare... for meals.

today that figure is down to 50-60% more and more meals are eaten outside of the home...and when cooked at home....many don't even know how to cook a chicken..

for millennials to "tighten their belts" to save ... they buy pizza..

Old 05-31-2019, 10:32 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if this is true...then I believe its one last was to kill bacteria …..salmonella.

if the chicken people didn't do this...they'd be writing articles....of how unsafe our chicken is..

I eat tons of chicken....never tasted the chlorinated flavor...

if this bothers you.....eat more pork
Well, the predominant chicken brand (Foster Farms) out here went through several recalls. Over a rather long period of time. We didn’t eat chicken.

About a year after the last recall, I bought a whole chicken. I had a small cold, and when I smelled the chicken, it didn’t smell right. It didn’t smell bad, but it didn’t smell right. I figured it was my little cold.

I cooked it, we ate it, it was fine, we were fine. Husband disassembled the carcass and put the pieces into a Tupperware. It then got shunted to the back of the fridge on the bottom shelf.

I really dislike freezer on top fridges, because that happens a lot.

Several weeks later, I found the chicken, covered in black fur. I opened it to toss it out — and was greeted with ...nothing.

No odor at all. It smelled like chicken. Creepiest thing I have ever experienced.

I will not eat Foster Farms. When I want chicken I hit Trader Joe’s. And now I only use chicken in things, like soup, or quesadillas. I won’t eat a piece of chicken. I just go straight back to opening that container.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink